Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Arthur Wellesley

I'm all about adding a little bit of Mickey to everything. He is, after all, the personification of Disney. You can't think Disney without thinking Mickey. And what character of Mickey's is more popular than Sorcerer Mickey. So it sorta makes sense to include Sorcerer Mickey at different parts of the parks. Buuuuuut, clearly many don't want Mickey to interfere with whatever they think the themeparks to be. Just be hidden, Mickey. That's all they want from you.
So why don't they just demolish Cinderella Castle and put up a giant Mickey statue in it's place? Or paint the Tree Of Life to have Mickey's all over the trunk? Or add mouse ears to the top of Spaceship Earth and call it: Spaceship Mickey?

I like Mickey just as much as the next person. But I also appreciate the parks being unique and true to their own theme & story.

Gator

unfortunately, everytime I've been there disney was mucking around with something. My first trip was castle cake. Then the wand then the hat. Good god that cake was terrible. Think half inflated macys ballon draped over the castle.

Yeah, I'm glad I missed that. Pictures were bad enough. But that one didn't make sense. No Mickey. No Disney feel. Just a bad idea. I could never lump in the wand and the hat in the same category. They had a very Disney touch to them. Disney meaning Mickey. And like I said, you can't overdo Mickey for me.

dstrawn9889

thanks dstrawn9889 for the info. I made a error in my post I meant What is Chinese Theater Turrets? I mix up my post!
circled below
gmr%20spires_zps9ycskefi.png

lazyboy97o

Bu-huh. Bu-huh-huh. While I never saw the cake outside of some ghastly photos, I saw the wand and thought it was a nice touch for the few years it was there. I was OK with SSE with and without the wand. I'm all about adding a little bit of Mickey to everything. He is, after all, the personification of Disney. You can't think Disney without thinking Mickey. And what character of Mickey's is more popular than Sorcerer Mickey. So it sorta makes sense to include Sorcerer Mickey at different parts of the parks. Buuuuuut, clearly many don't want Mickey to interfere with whatever they think the themeparks to be. Just be hidden, Mickey. That's all they want from you.
The parks are supposed to be experiences, not images plastered around everywhere. If one wants to see an image of Mickey there are plenty of ways to watch the many films in which he stars. There are also comic books to read. And merchandise to buy as well.

Last edited:

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
I did not see anyone point this out so I will. It seems that the ear that was removed everywhere they placed orange marks is where they cut. So here is our Preview for the next big cut....

Sorcerer-Hat-Icon_Full_23207.jpg

A big cut on the rim and a lot of smaller cuts even as high as the catwalk! Looks allot more ambitious than the last round, will be exciting to see! I'm not a construction guy but I am a little confused as for the reasoning of the red support structure. According to the construction pictures the rim should be a self supported structure, so why add extra support now? On top of that the red support dose not seem at all strong enough to support the load of the rim. Well that's my .02 for the night!

FerretAfros

I'm not a construction guy but I am a little confused as for the reasoning of the red support structure. According to the construction pictures the rim should be a self supported structure, so why add extra support now? On top of that the red support dose not seem at all strong enough to support the load of the rim. Well that's my .02 for the night!
The rim and its associated columns are self-supported, as we can see now that they're pretty much all that remains. However, once they make the first slice through the rim, it will lose a lot of its structural integrity as it can no longer transfer stresses across the cut. The structure was designed to be stable when everything was attached, not when only one side is attached

The rim itself functions sort of like a bridge between the columns. Once you slice through it, it's more like 2 cantilevered diving boards pointed at each other, and everything starts getting floppy and wiggly, and the columns weren't really intended to give that sort of support. Since it is a fairly large span (and a circle), they will likely need to do multiple cuts to remove the whole thing, and it needs to be supported in the mean time

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom