Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

ABQ

The ring which made the rim of the hat seems to have cement-like texture in her image. Is that just an instagram 'feature'?
I don't know if that's some sort of adhesive coating left behind after the blue material was removed or what.
See a pretty good close up here, 3rd pic, during construction, just looks like steel with, I assume, a rust proofing or resistant paint over it.
http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...orcerer-mickey-hat-icon-construction/3414.htm

jakeman

I don't know if that's some sort of adhesive coating left behind after the blue material was removed or what.
See a pretty good close up here, 3rd pic, during construction, just looks like steel with, I assume, a rust proofing or resistant paint over it.
http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...orcerer-mickey-hat-icon-construction/3414.htm
23331_s7

JohnD

I have to admit, I kinda liked the hat.. I have only recently become a WDW fan, and have only seen it with the hat. I liked the photo ops it provided down the street in front of it.

But seeing this picture of what it was before it was there, I say, bring it on! This looks much better. Thank you for posting this.

I liked the hat too but always thought it was in the wrong place. Hopefully, with the hat entirely removed and this view restored, it will swing around those who were adamant against it's removal. How can you not like this view?

WDWArchitectureGuy

The ring which made the rim of the hat seems to have cement-like texture in her image. Is that just an instagram 'feature'?

The gray coating you see on almost all the steel is a rust protector. It can be any color, but gray is very common.

The white-ish texture is spray on fireproofing. A mix of flame retardant chemicals, and cementitious binders that give it an almost stucco appearance. Any roof like structure under 20' above the ground in most building codes require it.

ABQ

The white-ish texture is spray on fireproofing. A mix of flame retardant chemicals, and cementitious binders that give it an almost stucco appearance. Any roof like structure under 20' above the ground in most building codes require it.
Ah yes, the now very dirty material which was at one time white in all the T (subway) stations back in Boston. I should have known. Odd that it's even required on outdoor structures, but not surprising.

WDWArchitectureGuy

Ah yes, the now very dirty material which was at one time white in all the T (subway) stations back in Boston. I should have known. Odd that it's even required on outdoor structures, but not surprising.

Even though it is an outdoor structure, it has all the functions of an enclosed building. Including internal stairs, electrical, A/C. and a blue fiberglass ceiling above an occupied space. Sprinklers and Fireproofing are not surprising.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom