Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Cesar R M

I am going to hazard a guess that your average run of the mill steel worker will tell you that 'unbolting' rivets from a 15 year old structure is likely more time consuming than just cutting it away with a welder. just my guess....but those bolts freeze up over time, the threads rust out...most of the time, they just cut em out.
good point.

They will still have to destroy the foundation I suppose.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Sorry, not buying it. That seems to be the running retort forWDW apologists around here in regards to these two projects

The biggest issue is the small time window. If you only have 6-7 hours between when you are allowed to be onsite till you need to bout.. and you need setup time for all your safety systems, etc and then clean-up time.. It's not a huge window of work each day.

And the work site is small.. there is only so much you can scale the effort up before people are on top of each other or simply blocking each other. There isn't room for multiple cranes, etc.

I'm suprised by the slowdown recently.. as in 'is it really necessary?'.. and don't doubt for a minute this is a smaller than optimal crew for getting it down the fastest... but I'm not at the point of 'w t h' disney.

Given the amount of ground work they have to do, I'm not optimistic anymore about how long it will be till walls are down.

PirateFrank

good point.

They will still have to destroy the foundation I suppose.

I can't imagine that they would have erected this hat, where people would work and walk underneath, without some variety of heavy duty concrete footings -- on at least the three load bearing pipes coming down from the hat (and likely underneath the hands and ears as well).

With that said, they will have to destroy at least some portion of said footings, to pour concrete over them (or remove them entirely).....If they're being exceedingly cheap (which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest), maybe they just cut the metal at the footing and chuck a planter on top. I wouldn't be at all shocked....the rest of this project has been done uber cheap, why not the finishing aspect?

yellowrocket

Yes, but that property doesn't have thousands of people traipsing through it every day. To get what you want, they would have to close down HS for an interminate period of time (maybe 20 days to use your analogy), implode the BAH, and clear out the debris. Then there would be complaining about WDW not caring about its guests because they closed HS. There is just no pleasing some people.

Then, what's going to happen when the this rumored makeover starts? At the rate this solitary structure is demo'ed, we won't see a new DHS until sometime in the mid 2030's.

Gator

You know -- they shouldn't bother. Just let it sit there and let the elements take care of it. I think nature will rot it to the ground faster than the demo crews are working to surgically dismantle it.

For real? The majority of people on this board have been clamoring to bring down the Hat for over a decade. Disney finally capitulates, and we hear complaints that it's taking more than a few weeks to bring down a massive steel structure that took half a year to build. Just be glad that the object of your disgust is being brought down.

Man, Mickey. Take off that ridiculous looking hat! We can't see the artistry behind you! That background was there first! ;)

PirateFrank

For real? The majority of people on this board have been clamoring to bring down the Hat for over a decade. Disney finally capitulates, and we hear complaints that it's taking more than a few weeks to bring down a massive steel structure that took half a year to build. Just be glad that the object of your disgust is being brought down.

You do realize my post was dripping with a healthy bit of sarcasm, right?

msteel

RayTheFirefly

Looks to me like most of the cuts have been marked and (what I suppose are) crane holes have been opened up in the ears. I think we are very close to seeing pieces of metal come down. With the caveat that I have no appreciable experience in the demolition field.
Agreed. It looks like they removed those chunks of plastic on the ears to cut through the metal in those spots. Maybe someone else more experienced can confirm.

PirateFrank

This makes no sense. You have presented multiple posts on why you think they are taking too long. What is sarcastic about that?

My point that they should just leave it up and let nature rot it down. That was what the poster quoted and that was what was dripping with sarcasm. I still stand by my point that they are taking the cheap way out here and as park guests, despite paying the same admission with walls up all over the place, we're simply forced to deal with it.

NYwdwfan

My point that they should just leave it up and let nature rot it down. That was what the poster quoted and that was what was dripping with sarcasm. I still stand by my point that they are taking the cheap way out here and as park guests, despite paying the same admission with walls up all over the place, we're simply forced to deal with it.

Just curious if you've actually visited the park since this construction began? I had imagined it would be a monstrous eyesore but in reality I seemed to be the only one that noticed there was even deconstruction going on.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Calm down kids or I'll have to have you put your heads down on your desks, and yes, hands laying flat ;)
Progress with the hat will resume shortly (when compared to the amount of time the hat stood for) You should all just be breathing in the fresh air of change and enjoying it.
But, but, progress isn't going as fast as some guy on an Internet message board thinks it should be, therefore Disney is cheap and terrible and they contracted this out to a local group of boy scouts to complete the job!

DisDan

So there was an episode of Superhumans where Stan Lee found this fat dude who claimed he and his crew could demo an entire building with nothing but their bodies and karate skills. We should have hired those guys to demo the hat, would have been some awesome entertainment.

Episode is called Robo Men -
"It's rumored Wolfgang Manicke and his posse have the power to destroy buildings with their bare hands. Daniel takes Wolfgang to a scientist to analyze his strength."

Last edited:

jdmdisney99

Sooo... was there no update today? :confused:
B9bHrsvCMAETADt.jpg

From @Kryptonlogic on Twitter

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom