Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Cesar R M

I don't know that being in the park has changed...my questions and commentary are directed towards the sudden slight displeasure or surprise of a lot of forum folk as to the new use of the tower as an icon in graphic use on the website and in media. I think that a lot of folks expected the theatre.

You see, the issue is that since the original castle dropped in Disneyland in '55 as a focal point and then centerpiece, people in this "Disney Parks culture" thing we have going here have come to expect some large piece of crazy elegant architecture to symbolize each flavor of the types of Disney park...hungry for Epcot? Try some spaceship earth. Craving nostaligic fantasy? Grab a dish of Cinderella Castle! And up until recently... Want to sample some disregard for appropriate scale, imagineering savvy, and theme park design?! Try two scoops of ridiculous aged 13 year-old Michael Eisner cheesy promotion in a large blue cone!!!

My point was only that at the moment folks are searching for something identifiable as the symbol of the park or to whatever the park may be becoming...a tree to cling to as the wildebeest stampede comes to run over the blue Mufasa...as it were...

And...also as I mentioned...we're most likely FAR OUT from what may be coming...a new icon could even show up...to me...and icon doesn't matter...but it's what's become the norm to a lot of people...
You sir get a big like for that description of the BAH.

Tom Morrow

Correct. ToT is a hugely recognized building the world over. You can see it from most of the surrounding areas and roads. You can see it perfectly from Fantasia Gardens. But, if they use it as an Icon, Disney needs to add the signage to the back of the building and paint windows on the building so it does look more like a hotel. Total 360 theming.
It already is completely themed on every side.

Matt_Black

Isn't ToT's larger problem the fact that it does not thematically tie together the park like the other icons? This is why the Chinese Theatre or water tower work better--they suggest movie-making. Perhaps they could build a 199-foot clapboard in front of the Chinese Theatre!

The problem with that is they don't make movies there anymore and, with the loss of the Backstage Tour, the pretense that they still do is weakened even further. ToT works as a symbol of "Old Hollywood".

ToTBellHop

The problem with that is they don't make movies there anymore and, with the loss of the Backstage Tour, the pretense that they still do is weakened even further. ToT works as a symbol of "Old Hollywood".
I don't think it matters that they don't make movies. It's a movie themed park. None of the other theme parks really do what they purport to do either (except maybe The Land at Epcot). The Hollywood Tower Hotel isn't a real place nor does the look of the building remind us of Hollywood's golden age. As much as we all love ToT, it was a real thematic break for the front of the park as it created an identity crisis that continues today--is the front of the park a movie set (which it is too completely themed to be) or 1930s-40s Hollywood with a random hat (now gone), recording studio with upside-down car, and old dilapidated hotel set in the present? I'll be curious to see if they can come up with a coherent story and theme to retrofit in without removing much from the front of the park.

articos

Correct. ToT is a hugely recognized building the world over. You can see it from most of the surrounding areas and roads. You can see it perfectly from Fantasia Gardens. But, if they use it as an Icon, Disney needs to add the signage to the back of the building and paint windows on the building so it does look more like a hotel. Total 360 theming.
Tower is specifically themed on the back side to blend with the view from Epcot, since it was known the building would be visible.

Hulles

This looks to be from today. Had'nt seen anyone post it yet so here you go.

B9Z_poCIEAAIi13.jpg:large

trs518

Thanks for searching, but this appears to be an old one in comparison to the picture from Friday. In Friday's picture, all the blue from within the hat had been removed.

This looks to be from today. Had'nt seen anyone post it yet so here you go.

B9Z_poCIEAAIi13.jpg:large

PirateFrank

You know -- they shouldn't bother. Just let it sit there and let the elements take care of it. I think nature will rot it to the ground faster than the demo crews are working to surgically dismantle it.

PirateFrank

Goodness, it's been 4 weeks. Calm down.

Seriously? Calm Down? Not really 'hyper' here so why don't you grow a pair of manners.

This is just a sad scenario. Show appears to be of zero concern to these people. Between this and the hub at the MK, one could write a textbook on how to drain every ounce of efficiency out of a construction project. I guess with people pouring through the turnstiles, they have zero incentive to make things look good.

Consider this. There's a building down the road from me. If I had to guess, it is likely 10-15 thousand square feet. It's an old Pergament (large home improvement chain) that had been literally closed down and shuttered for the past 12 years. Someone finally bought the property recently and had a demo crew reduce it to a clear, no-debris lot in approximately 20 days....and this in the dead of winter where we've had 3 major storms.

DisDan

Seriously? Calm Down? Not really 'hyper' here so why don't you grow a pair of manners.

This is just a sad scenario. Show appears to be of zero concern to these people. Between this and the hub at the MK, one could write a textbook on how to drain every ounce of efficiency out of a construction project. I guess with people pouring through the turnstiles, they have zero incentive to make things look good.

Consider this. There's a building down the road from me. If I had to guess, it is likely 10-15 thousand square feet. It's an old Pergament (large home improvement chain) that had been literally closed down and shuttered for the past 12 years. Someone finally bought the property recently and had a demo crew reduce it to a clear, no-debris lot in approximately 20 days....and this in the dead of winter where we've had 3 major storms.

Yes but those crews didn't have to worry about keeping the ground and surrounds of the building intact and didn't have thousands of visitors daily walking near the demo site.

Next Big Thing

The new area of the hub will be open Feb 27 as has been reported here and i'd be surprised if there's much left of the hat at that point as well.

The hat will be gone and new permanent area will be open in time for SWW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom