Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

PirateFrank

Yes but those crews didn't have to worry about keeping the ground and surrounds of the building intact and didn't have thousands of visitors daily walking near the demo site.

Point conceded. However, we're talking about two structures that are vastly different in size and scope. Like I said 10-15k sq feet. They had the entire lot cleared in 3 weeks. 4 weeks to remove this structure with a crane -- no matter what the condition of the ground below. Is sad. Go ahead and look at a picture of this hat from early last week -- and then look at the current one. Were any of these guys doing any actual work last week?

The progress on this hat is verging on lunacy. I though, when they started on Jan 5 that there would have been no chance that it would still be up by mid february. Boy was I wrong.

Sorry, I call this as I see it. A little latitude has already been granted....this is a pathetically slow, cheaply done demo project.

JohnD

Seriously? Calm Down? Not really 'hyper' here so why don't you grow a pair of manners.

This is just a sad scenario. Show appears to be of zero concern to these people. Between this and the hub at the MK, one could write a textbook on how to drain every ounce of efficiency out of a construction project. I guess with people pouring through the turnstiles, they have zero incentive to make things look good.

Consider this. There's a building down the road from me. If I had to guess, it is likely 10-15 thousand square feet. It's an old Pergament (large home improvement chain) that had been literally closed down and shuttered for the past 12 years. Someone finally bought the property recently and had a demo crew reduce it to a clear, no-debris lot in approximately 20 days....and this in the dead of winter where we've had 3 major storms.

Yes, but that property doesn't have thousands of people traipsing through it every day. To get what you want, they would have to close down HS for an interminate period of time (maybe 20 days to use your analogy), implode the BAH, and clear out the debris. Then there would be complaining about WDW not caring about its guests because they closed HS. There is just no pleasing some people.

PirateFrank

The new area of the hub will be open Feb 27 as has been reported here and i'd be surprised if there's much left of the hat at that point as well.

The hat will be gone and new permanent area will be open in time for SWW.

By the 27th? You think the hat will be gone by then? Judging by current rate of progress, you are being extremely optimistic/borderline delusional in regards to such a guess. Seriously. Cutting away the fiberglass was the *easy* part. Now we're talking about actual steel structure. My guess is March -- well into March. If we're lucky. Something tells me that they would have been better off just ripping the thing to the ground, destroying the concrete underneath and re-pouring it once cleared. When motivated, they can pour a concrete path in an evening -- as they have shown in the hub project.

Next Big Thing

Point conceded. However, we're talking about two structures that are vastly different in size and scope. Like I said 10-15k sq feet. They had the entire lot cleared in 3 weeks. 4 weeks to remove this structure with a crane -- no matter what the condition of the ground below. Is sad. Go ahead and look at a picture of this hat from early last week -- and then look at the current one. Were any of these guys doing any actual work last week?

The progress on this hat is verging on lunacy. I though, when they started on Jan 5 that there would have been no chance that it would still be up by mid february. Boy was I wrong.

Sorry, I call this as I see it. A little latitude has already been granted....this is a pathetically slow, cheaply done demo project.
You have to realize crews can only work when all guests are out of the park. Having people rent out the park as has happened on multiple occasions over the past few weeks doesn't help (at least 2-3 times). The park also stays open late on weekends and the crews don't work as much.

Let me put it to you this way: Ops gets done normally by 1:30 if there was a midnight close say. They need to be back in by 7:30-8 to open the park for 9, or 6:30-7 if there's early EMH.

Not everything is as cut and dry as it may seem. The crews are working around a lot of necessary operational procedures.

Cesar R M

By the 27th? You think the hat will be gone by then? Judging by current rate of progress, you are being extremely optimistic/borderline delusional in regards to such a guess. Seriously. Cutting away the fiberglass was the *easy* part. Now we're talking about actual steel structure. My guess is March -- well into March. If we're lucky. Something tells me that they would have been better off just ripping the thing to the ground, destroying the concrete underneath and re-pouring it once cleared. When motivated, they can pour a concrete path in an evening -- as they have shown in the hub project.
maybe for the steel part they do not need 'cutting'.
They could just unbolt.

PirateFrank

Yes, but that property doesn't have thousands of people traipsing through it every day. To get what you want, they would have to close down HS for an interminate period of time (maybe 20 days to use your analogy), implode the BAH, and clear out the debris. Then there would be complaining about WDW not caring about its guests because they closed HS. There is just no pleasing some people.

Sorry, not buying it. That seems to be the running retort forWDW apologists around here in regards to these two projects. You can have a large crew working at night -- making sizable changes to the structure -- without having to worry about the park guests during the day. Im not so sure that you need to close down the whole park to achieve this goal in a few weeks as I suggest.

This has more to do with WDW/TDO unwillingness to throw sufficient resources at the projects to get them done efficiently than anything else.

PirateFrank

maybe for the steel part they do not need 'cutting'.
They could just unbolt.

I am going to hazard a guess that your average run of the mill steel worker will tell you that 'unbolting' rivets from a 15 year old structure is likely more time consuming than just cutting it away with a welder. just my guess....but those bolts freeze up over time, the threads rust out...most of the time, they just cut em out.

Next Big Thing

On the hub project, they often can get a lot done when MK closes at 8 and things are wrapping up operationally by 10. I assume the same for the hat for when DHS closes early, but normally they have a F! until around 10.

It is what it is, it'll get down when it gets down, which as I said, will be down and the area repurposed by SWW.

JohnD

Sorry, not buying it. That seems to be the running retort forWDW apologists around here in regards to these two projects. You can have a large crew working at night -- making sizable changes to the structure -- without having to worry about the park guests during the day. Im not so sure that you need to close down the whole park to achieve this goal in a few weeks as I suggest.

This has more to do with WDW/TDO unwillingness to throw sufficient resources at the projects to get them done efficiently than anything else.

Sorry, not buying it. They're already changing out which icon is being used on merch, MyDisneyExperience, etc. to the point that there are debates going on which is the best one. While I am just as anxious to once again see the Chinese Theatre now, I congratulate WDW for removing the BAH slowly, deliberately, and safely. I would expect nothing less.

JohnD

On the hub project, they often can get a lot done when MK closes at 8 and things are wrapping up operationally by 10. I assume the same for the hat for when DHS closes early, but normally they have a F! until around 10.

It is what it is, it'll get down when it gets down, which as I said, will be down and the area repurposed by SWW.

Speaking of hubs, anyone notice a theme? MK has a definitive hub expansion project. AK just widened it's hub by reducing the gardens but adding decorative roots. And wouldn't you know the BAH is being removed which, by definition, will open up the HS hub.

WelshBatman

Oh to live in that neighborhood! You must not have a lot of trees around. I'm guessing you see ROE and maybe wishes?

Interestingly, the trees that do block my view block Epcot a bit so all I can make out of Illuminations is flashes. Wishes I can see quite well, it's just a ways off. The thing is though that depending on the weather, the explosions make a lot of noise and it can sound like serious pounding. I didn't know what it was when I first moved in, but then looked at the clock and figured out that shortly after 9 every night, it would start in for Illuminations. Wishes I can't hear.

PirateFrank

Sorry, not buying it. They're already changing out which icon is being used on merch, MyDisneyExperience, etc. to the point that there are debates going on which is the best one. While I am just as anxious to once again see the Chinese Theatre now, I congratulate WDW for removing the BAH slowly, deliberately, and safely. I would expect nothing less.

Im sorry, what does the 'park icon' have to do with efficient demolition? There's plenty of quick, safe demolitions out there. No is expecting TDO to strap dynamite to the hat and implode it. You and I can agree to disagree here. I believe they have given this project to the lowest bidder and their primary concern is saving costs -- over efficiency. If you want to look at this eye sore for the next 2 months and thank TDO for it....you be my guest.

Next Big Thing

Im sorry, what does the 'park icon' have to do with efficient demolition? There's plenty of quick, safe demolitions out there. No is expecting TDO to strap dynamite to the hat and implode it. You and I can agree to disagree here. I believe they have given this project to the lowest bidder and their primary concern is saving costs -- over efficiency. If you want to look at this eye sore for the next 2 months and thank TDO for it....you be my guest.
They didn't give it to the lowest bidder, they gave it to the contractor they've been working with the longest - Coastal Steel.

Here's a look at their project list... they have an extensive history with the mouse and have also done some other projects in the central florida area. http://www.coastalsteel.com/project_list.html

Interesting Tidbit: Coastal Steel BUILT the Sorcerer's Hat.

wdw71fan

I've been staring at that eyesore for 10+ years.. whats a couple more months? :)

Sage of Time

Interestingly, the trees that do block my view block Epcot a bit so all I can make out of Illuminations is flashes. Wishes I can see quite well, it's just a ways off. The thing is though that depending on the weather, the explosions make a lot of noise and it can sound like serious pounding. I didn't know what it was when I first moved in, but then looked at the clock and figured out that shortly after 9 every night, it would start in for Illuminations. Wishes I can't hear.
May I ask where/in what direction you live from WDW? That's awesome.

wdw71fan

Wishes is very loud from my house.. But it's not surprising as I can hear the Ferry Boat and train whistles here as well... Sometimes (if the wind is just right) you can hear MSEP as well.. ;)

Meanwhile.. Coastal Steel also built and installed the main cupola (the giant roof-like structure in the middle) of the Chinese Theater as well ;)

JohnD

They didn't give it to the lowest bidder, they gave it to the contractor they've been working with the longest - Coastal Steel.

Here's a look at their project list... they have an extensive history with the mouse and have also done some other projects in the central florida area. http://www.coastalsteel.com/project_list.html

Interesting Tidbit: Coastal Steel BUILT the Sorcerer's Hat.

Imagine that. The contractor that built the BAH is making sure it's removed with precision.

WelshBatman

May I ask where/in what direction you live from WDW? That's awesome.

West/South-West... as the crow flies it's something like 6 miles from here to Animal Kingdom... however it's Florida so driving it's like 15-20 minutes and that's on 192 with all the new lights they added and the wonderful traffic...

Anybody in the Four Corners area might be able to get these views, I happen to know there are a few places that do, but the best views are afforded by the ridge west of Disney. In a fairly featureless landscape, there is a little elevation out here which makes it possible... once again though it's not all that great. It blew my niece and nephew's mind when they could see Disney fireworks from my house, but it's not like it's the most amazing thing ever...

The only reason I mentioned this was that people were talking about Tower being such a visible landmark and as a possible icon for Hollywood Studios, and I just didn't think that just because you can see it for miles should mean that it's automatically in consideration. I grew up with the Earful Tower and let's face it, for marketing purposes, they need an icon. Tower is a marquee attraction but I don't think it's icon worthy. It doesn't really express the theme of the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom