Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

JohnD

Exactly! For someone that does not know fully that park if you hear that its theme is movies you would want to have as an icon something that you can easily link with that, like a famous theater or the water tower. The hollywood tower does not give that idea IMHO.

I'm on record as saying I prefer Earful Tower but you'll see all three rotate depending on the source. I've seen the tower in coffee mugs and t-shirts. The WDW website is using ToT as the Central Icon on MDE for anything scheduled in HS. The Theatre is off to the side there. Besides, ToT has "Hollywood" on it, like, you know, "Hollywood Studios." Once the Theatre becomes visible again, you'll start seeing it represented more, depending on the media/merchandise.

SDisney90

But this works both ways. The op often posts things that appear to be "inside information", so when he posted that things would speed up on the demolition I assumed that he had some inside info on the project and knew that something was going to change in how the demolition was being executed. To me it didn't seem that anything changed and that the pace of demolition was the same before and after that statement was made. If people don't want their opinions questioned, they shouldn't post them on the internet.
Touche, I apologize as I spoke within a general statement. I agree with you 100% this is a forum and opinions will be questioned. My issue is with the way certain people address others. Going back to my OP I admit I did not go back far enough I'm sure to see their post and I understand your argument. Though, I will stick to mine that some posters here are just plain arrogant and need to hop off their high horse and allow opinions and questions to be made without jumping the gun on the poster.

Gator

We have it on good word that the replacement will look like this:
removehat_before.jpg

Yawn.

WDWArchitectureGuy

If people only knew the heritage and creative thought and vision that went into creating Hollywood Blvd they might see things differently. I love the 6 part series from Yesterland that delves into the inspiration behind each building at HS. Reading this make me appreciate the original intent and theme Disney originally achieved and how truly horrible the BAH was to that theme. Enjoy!
http://www.yesterland.com/replicas.html

Matt_Black

Someone I know's only justification of the hat was "It's Mickey's hat!!!!!!!!!"

I'll have you know that that hat saved my life. My pixie sticks addiction had conquered me. Things had gotten so bad, I was selling myself on the streets, doing the Charleston and other old-timey dances for a nickel a pop, just so's I could get enough money to buy another hit of the Devil's Powder and all it's sweet, sugary goodness. Then, one day, the BAH came by. He said, "There's a better way to live." I cleaned myself up right then and there. If it wasn't for the BAH, I'd be lying in a gutter in a diabetic coma.

For those cheering the hat's destruction, ask yourselves this- how many more were touched by the hat?

flynnibus

Premium Member
The hat would've needed a lightning protection system, it is Florida after all. I suspect the tip may be copper and it's worth a lot more than all the rest of the scrap put together.

On a side note, did you guys see all the fire sprinklers inside that sucker?

I Believe that was utility conduit.. Not sprinklers. They lined up with the externally attached gold features.

dstrawn9889

If people only knew the heritage and creative thought and vision that went into creating Hollywood Blvd they might see things differently. I love the 6 part series from Yesterland that delves into the inspiration behind each building at HS. Reading this make me appreciate the original intent and theme Disney originally achieved and how truly horrible the BAH was to that theme. Enjoy!
not only that, pick up the Dixon novel 'Key to the Kingdom'(http://www.amazon.com/Key-Kingdom-D...TF8&qid=1422574041&sr=8-2&keywords=jeff+dixon) this is a great piece of Faction(fact and fiction) surrounding the parks...(as long as you can get around the preachy bits, it really is a good read)

Mike S

Bookmarked. Now I'll be looking for these buildings when I go to California next week ;)

The Rocketeer

I'm all for change, but if your ok with hat being demolished for being out of place...then why are you ok with what was hidden behind the hat housing movies mostly owned now by Sony being left in tact. It all needs reimagined this one piece of headwear was not what's wrong with Hollywood blvd
90% of the movies are owned By Time Warner, which owns Turner, which owns TCM. Name one movie that is owned by Sony? Alien is 20th century Fox and Mary Poppins is obviously Disney. Some movies were Warner Bros movies, but they are all either MGM, Warner Bros, or Disney.(excluding Alien. Indiana Jones is now Disney) Turner/Time Warner owns all MGMs library pre 1986 therefore they own the rights to almost all the movies in the attraction. The reason why there is so many MGM movies in GMR is because that studio made the epitome of Classic films.

Last edited:

Nick Wilde

I'll have you know that that hat saved my life. My pixie sticks addiction had conquered me. Things had gotten so bad, I was selling myself on the streets, doing the Charleston and other old-timey dances for a nickel a pop, just so's I could get enough money to buy another hit of the Devil's Powder and all it's sweet, sugary goodness. Then, one day, the BAH came by. He said, "There's a better way to live." I cleaned myself up right then and there. If it wasn't for the BAH, I'd be lying in a gutter in a diabetic coma.

For those cheering the hat's destruction, ask yourselves this- how many more were touched by the hat?
What an inspiring story. It's things like this that Disney should hear. DON"T TEAR DOWN THE HAT! It saves lives! What did the hat ever do to them? Thank you for sharing. I know it's hard to make things like this public sometimes. You're brave... and we thank you for it. *wipes away tear*...

roj2323

I walked around the remnants of the hat today and noticed that there are actually 3 full size crane trucks around it. There were also orange lines spray painted all over the steel which presumably is the cut lines. The next few days should be interesting.

Btw several cast members working the area including photopass, gmr cast and character attendants said the walls will be up until sometime in April.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:

BrerJon

Thanks for the link. I love those Yesterland articles but hadn't read that one, and now I desperately want to go to DHS and spend an afternoon admiring the architecture! The imagineers were so clever, it really does make you wonder what was going through the mind of those who thought the hat was just as good an idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom