Is The 2020's Disneyland Resort's Lost Decade???

TP2000

Original Poster
(I know Galaxy’s Edge isn’t technically this decade but it’s close enough to be relevant to the discussion I think. It certainly goes to show that we can receive something Earth-shattering right at the end of the decade…)

According to a fast Google search just now, the first legitimate rumors from reputable online sources about a "Star Wars Land" coming to Disneyland were from late 2013. The land opened in two phases, six years later in 2019 and 2020.

So... does that mean if we start getting some solid rumors about something new being built in Disneyland later this decade, it would open in 2029 or 2030? History seems to suggest so, at least for major projects.

Cars Land was publicly announced by Bob Iger in October, 2007 and opened in June, 2012. Five years from official announcement to opening. A massive remake of DCA was being rumored online by reputable sources by the end of the 50th Anniversary in 2006. Six years from strong online rumor to opening.

Disney's Fiscal 2024 starts in two weeks. If bulldozers arrive in Anaheim in October, that would be a good sign they might have something new in either park by 2027 at the earliest. But history seems to point more realistically at 2029 or 2030.

SuddenStorm

Considering we just received Galaxy’s Edge, Rise of the Resistance, Avengers Campus, the new ToonTown, Mickey, and that we still have Tiana and the Avengers ride on the way…I think it’s pretty unlikely this will turn out to be a lacking decade for DLR. I feel like this is already better than the 2000s were…sure we got a 2nd gate, but it was DCA 1.0…

Let’s consider also Disneyland Forward and that there’s likely unannounced projects planned for the latter half of the decade. Hakuna Matata, I say.

(I know Galaxy’s Edge isn’t technically this decade but it’s close enough to be relevant to the discussion I think. It certainly goes to show that we can receive something Earth-shattering right at the end of the decade…)

I dunno... I'd way rather visit the Disneyland of 2009 than the Disneyland of 2019 on.

lcielia

Yeah but have you seen this?

I did enjoy Big Thunder Ranch as a child! But Batuu is one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen in my life whereas BTR was just a cozy place to hang out for a bit in-between more exciting things. BTR was never a trip highlight the same way Batuu always is, I’m sorry to say.

SuddenStorm

I did enjoy Big Thunder Ranch as a child! But Batuu is one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen in my life whereas BTR was just a cozy place to hang out for a bit in-between more exciting things. BTR was never a trip highlight the same way Batuu always is, I’m sorry to say.

Oftentimes, the highlight of my trip is leaving Batuu after having to waste time there because my group wanted too.

TP2000

Original Poster
Yeah but have you seen this?

My God, that was such a cool little thing. Perfection. Even better than that, it was Disneyland Perfection.

In its place, we got this... Ky'le From Tustin, who keeps forgetting his immersive backstory when he sells us $4 Cokes.

Instead of that charmless fool and his failed leadership ideas, I'd rather have this back...

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
My God, that was such a cool little thing. Perfection. Even better than that, it was Disneyland Perfection.

In its place, we got this... Ky'le From Tustin, who keeps forgetting his immersive backstory when he sells us $4 Cokes.

Instead of that charmless fool and his failed leadership ideas, I'd rather have this back...

But what if they add space goats to Batuu, would that do it for you?

Phroobar

Bring back the Space Horses!
iu

truecoat

There's an article today over at Theme Park Insider about park investment. In an SEC filing, Disney Parks stated they will nearly double expenditures over the next 10 years to approximately 60 billion.

Pacnw

There's an article today over at Theme Park Insider about park investment. In an SEC filing, Disney Parks stated they will nearly double expenditures over the next 10 years to approximately 60 billion.
Curious… Does that 60 billion include the $17 billion that was promised to be spent on Walt Disney World over the next decade? If so, that leaves only 43 billion for the remaining parks over a ten-year period. while it’s a significant amount, it’s won’t go nearly as far as we would all probably hope.

TP2000

Original Poster
Don’t forget 2028 Olympics! All the SoCal parks are steaming to make them big bucks…

So, am I the only one here who was an adult in 1984? :hungover:

Certainly I can't be the only one here who knows what happened during SoCal's "Olympic Summer" in 1984, can I?

Cripes... I just did the math on Sidekick Tightpants. He was still in Junior High in 1984.

Jeez, it's been obvious there is no institutional knowledge of theme park operations at Disney parks for years now. But I really hope there's someone in TDA who thinks to Google "What happened at Disneyland during the 1984 Summer Olympics?" before they spend a bunch of money for Summer '28.

Phroobar

So, am I the only one here who was an adult in 1984? :hungover:

Certainly I can't be the only one here who knows what happened during SoCal's "Olympic Summer" in 1984, can I?

Cripes... I just did the math on Sidekick Tightpants. He was still in Junior High in 1984.

Jeez, it's been obvious there is no institutional knowledge of theme park operations at Disney parks for years now. But I really hope there's someone in TDA who thinks to Google "What happened at Disneyland during the 1984 Summer Olympics?" before they spend a bunch of money for Summer '28.
Before the Olympics the media went crazy with predictions that the freeways would be clogged and theme parks would be packed because of the Olympics. Everyone should stay at home. It ended up the freeways were lite and no one went to Disneyland that summer. I think the local media should spread that rumor every summer.

J4546

I dunno, so far in the 2020s we've gotten AC phase 1, MMRR with an all new refreshed TT, and have Tianas Bayou Adventure retheme of splash a year away with tianas place retheme, lots of smaller improvements like the harbour galley seating area expansion, the upcoming haunted mansion que/ada exit redo, treehouse retheme, etc and its only 2023 so mo so far Im liking the 2020s. Hopefully we get phase 2 of AC and something else big in CA before 2030.

Oh and also the massive expansion of downtown disney and the hotel district. 1 new DVC just about to open, 1 rethemed and the downtown is getting some much needed love with that dumpling place that looks incredible. Also seems like that downtown disney expansion is being built in a way to allow for a new gate/disneyforward proposal concept.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom