Is The 2020's Disneyland Resort's Lost Decade???

BrianLo

2013 Princess Fantasy Faire (DL)
2014 Frozenland & Singalong (DCA)
2015 60th & Star Wars Launch Bay (DL & DCA)
2016 Luigi's Roadsters (DCA)
2017 Mission: Breakout RETHEME (DCA)
2018 Pixar Pier & Incredicoaster RETHEME (DCA)
2019 Millennium Falcon: Target Run, Star Wars Land & Mickey's Philharmagic (DL & DCA)
2020 Rise Before Dawn (DL)

2023 Runaway Railway & Toontown Refresh, Presented by Monsanto (DL)
2024 Tiana's Bayou Adventure RETHEME (DL)
2025 ????
2026 ????
2027 ????

2028 Next New Attraction Opens in Best Case Scenario
2029 Next New Attraction Opens in More Likely Scenario
2030 Next New Attraction Opens in Worst Case Scenario

You could very well be right in hindsight, but it's way too premature to draw conclusions.

I want to highlight what we actually knew at the time in 2013 so you can compare to where we are in 2023. Luigi's Roadsters wasn't announced, nor planned. Mission Breakout wasn't remotely planned (the first Guardians movie hadn't even come out yet). Pixar Pier and Galaxy's Edge were not even remotely blue sky yet.

I'd argue Tiana's, the Avengers E-ticket and Pandora.... no matter how nebulous they may be to us in this moment, is a heck of a lot more optimistic of a starting point than the Frozenland & Singalong (?I don't even know what that is) and Star Wars Launch Bay. Though the 60th was lovely, we'll get the 75th at the end of this decade.

I admit the DCA redo really kicked last decade off spectacularly. Though Rise, Avengers Campus, Enchanted Wish and Toontown aren't nothing, particularly considering the start of the decade shuttered the park.

BrianLo

Of almost all the projects discussed, the Avengers E-ticket seems to be the most advanced to me. That yields us a new e-ticket in 2023 and probably a new e-ticket well before 2029 in the most pessimistic take. This is also quite a bit better than last decade.

*If* they build the Avengers E-ticket it feels sort of 2026/7 to me. It's largely a ride in a box, a final vehicle design is pretty late stage development. TBD but the way they talk about that ride I'm wondering if it breaks ground after Oct 1st with the fiscal year changeover.

(2012 Radiator Springs Racers -> 2019 Millennium Falcon). Though RSR is such a strong attraction, Rise does technically belong to this decade.

TP2000

Original Poster
You could very well be right in hindsight, but it's way too premature to draw conclusions.

I want to highlight what we actually knew at the time in 2013 so you can compare to where we are in 2023. Luigi's Roadsters wasn't announced, nor planned. Mission Breakout wasn't remotely planned (the first Guardians movie hadn't even come out yet). Pixar Pier and Galaxy's Edge were not even remotely blue sky yet.

Okay, now that is a very good point I hadn't thought of. And I always appreciate optimism. :)

Luigi's Roadsters only happened because the Flying Tires were so stupid. And Mission:Breakout (that I really enjoy, especially if I get the Jackson 5 or Pat Benatar versions) was a 2017 surprise that no one could have predicted in 2013.

So, who knows what 2028 may bring???

That said, to get something new built from the ground up at this point, it's four years from now best case scenario.

Might they retheme the Submarines again? Put a new 3D show in the old Tomorrowland Theater? Give Goofy's Sky School an Encanto overlay instead? Sure. But none of that will be new builds, much less additional capacity. Disneyland Resort's next new ride build is still years away at this point.

And at Destination D23 they didn't say a definitive word about anything new for DLR.

I'd argue Tiana's, the Avengers E-ticket and Pandora.... no matter how nebulous they may be to us in this moment, is a heck of a lot more optimistic of a starting point than the Frozenland & Singalong (?I don't even know what that is).

In 2014 they turned a corner of HollywoodLand into a mini Frozenland. They replaced the Muppets with a multimedia sing-along Frozen show. And they turned Stage 17 into Olaf's Snowfest, a miniature Norwegian village with real snow and sledding hills and games and a cafe' serving hot cocoa and cookies. It was cute and clever.

But then, later in the 2010's they abandoned the Frozen stuff as that fad went away. But they kept the Norwegian village in Stage 17 for years and used it for the annual... Celebrate Gospel events in February. As a Scandinavian who also happens to have a lifelong love affair with Jazz, and Motown, and Black Gospel music I really enjoyed Celebrate Gospel (I remember I happened upon it by accident that first year, then sought it out purposely in following years). But sitting there in that snowy Norwegian village set in a rural fjord as some of America's best Black Church choirs performed I would always chuckle and think... "Really, TDA??? You didn't think maybe this isn't the right thematic setting for American Black Spirituals and Gospel music??? :rolleyes:🤣 :rolleyes:

akjsd8301.png

BrianLo

And at Destination D23 they didn't say a definitive word about anything new for DLR.

The Avengers ride was relatively definitive? It was a whole little video segment, not just the ride vehicle photo. I guess there wasn’t an opening timeframe, but there pretty much never is at this point.

I agree indirectly though, it SHOULD be under construction by now, that would certainly relieve the anxiety.

I don’t want to guess on what the avatar thing is because it seems far out, probably a similar timeframe as the originals 6 years. But Iger (not the P&R president du jour) has a pretty good track record of having built eventually what he announces.

123mart123

I was thinking about this after the underwhelming Destination D23 presentations this weekend, where Josh D'Amaro and a gaggle of Imagineers rolled out a word-salad of corporate buzzwords that only amount to a list of deferred maintenance items for WDW and DLR.

Josh N' Friends also offered up some extremely vague free words about "Blue Sky ideas" that were accompanied by the obligatory vague aerial concept art of hazy buildings partially obscured by wispy clouds in existing parks. Which is a smarmy stunt they already pulled last year at D23 Expo. :rolleyes:

It now appears as though Disneyland Resort is going into a period of extended stagnation when it comes to building and opening new attractions, and that it's about to begin one of the longest periods of its history without any new attractions in either park.

No new ride is under construction on either coast. No night parade exists in any American park. Only two afternoon parades exist for the six (6) theme parks in the USA; the 9 year old Festival Of Fantasy at WDW, and the 3 year old Magic Happens at Disneyland. The Hyperion Theater is abandoned. Park entertainment in Anaheim is a faded shell of its former self from just a few years ago, much less 20 years ago. There's not a bulldozer in sight. But at least Josh is cute and super sweet to CM's, right? :rolleyes:

Assuming that some new ride or park expansion gets announced next August at D23 Expo Ultimate Fan SigAlert On Katella, that would mean that construction could start within a few months. Which means the new ride/land wouldn't open until early 2028 at best. And that's best case. Maybe construction doesn't start until 2025 and it doesn't open until 2029 or '30?

Here's a list of the new attractions that have opened since the Disneyland Resort was born in 2001 with the opening of DCA:

2001 DCA Opens (DCA)
2002 Nothing
2003 Winnie The Pooh & A Bug's Land (DL & DCA)
2004 Tower of Terror (DCA)
2005 50th & Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters (DL)
2006 Nothing
2007 Finding Nemo Submarine RETHEME (DL)
2008 Midway Mania (DCA)
2009 Nothing
2010 Goofy's Sky School/Silly Symphony Swings RETHEME (DCA)
2011 Little Mermaid (DCA)
2012 Cars Land/Trolley/Buena Vista Street (DCA)
2013 Princess Fantasy Faire (DL)
2014 Frozenland & Singalong (DCA)
2015 60th & Star Wars Launch Bay (DL & DCA)
2016 Luigi's Roadsters (DCA)
2017 Mission: Breakout RETHEME (DCA)
2018 Pixar Pier & Incredicoaster RETHEME (DCA)
2019 Millennium Falcon: Target Run, Star Wars Land & Mickey's Philharmagic (DL & DCA)
2020 Rise Before Dawn (DL)
2021 Avenger's Campus & Spiderman (DCA)
2022 Nothing
2023 Runaway Railway & Toontown Refresh, Presented by Monsanto (DL)
2024 Tiana's Bayou Adventure RETHEME (DL)
2025 ????
2026 ????
2027 ????

2028 Next New Attraction Opens in Best Case Scenario
2029 Next New Attraction Opens in More Likely Scenario
2030 Next New Attraction Opens in Worst Case Scenario

So, that's potentially a five or six year gap where no new ride or major attraction opens at either Disneyland or DCA. The mid 2020's look like they are going to be very sleepy around Anaheim. What will they do instead? More cupcakes? More Instagram walls? More free words from a smiling Josh D'Amaro as he reveals yet another unfunded and unapproved "Blue Sky" park idea seen from above through wispy clouds?

This entire decade doesn't look good for Anaheim, in my amateur opinion. :oops:
World of color opened in 2010

Parks are the cash donor right now. Analysts leaning towards D+ probability in 2026. I’m not sure how studio performance factors in…but it could easily be 3-4 years with just updates and overlays. Then investments and the 5+ years to build Anything new of size. 2030+ seems very realistic.

TP2000

Original Poster
World of color opened in 2010

Yes, good point. But I tried to avoid new entertainment and keep it to "attractions" which are almost always rides.

I put the 50th and 60th in there because they were so major, and consisted of multiple large-scale entertainment. Plus, I just love a good reason to party. 🥳

Parks are the cash donor right now. Analysts leaning towards D+ profitability in 2026.

Oh geez, don't tell @MisterPenguin and @Disney Irish that, they both are under the impression that Disney+ has to make a profit sometime in 2024.

I’m not sure how studio performance factors in…but it could easily be 3-4 years with just updates and overlays. Then investments and the 5+ years to build Anything new of size. 2030+ seems very realistic.

Agreed. They just had a huge reason (Destination D23) to announce new expenditures for Fiscal Year 2024 that starts in 3 weeks. And yet Josh was almost entirely silent on '24, except to announce a new Asha meet n' greet and continued work on the log ride remodel.

There's not a bulldozer in sight. I'd bet two churros no new ride opens at Disneyland until 2028, at the earliest. 2030 is safer.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Oh geez, don't tell @MisterPenguin and @Disney Irish that, they both are under the impression that Disney+ has to make a profit sometime in 2024.
I have not seen any financial analyst who tracks Disney make the claim that D+ will not be profitability before 2026, or even 2025 for that matter. I'm sure there is some Youtuber or some poster on reddit making that claim, but not any that are real financial analysts. So curious where this poster got that information.

With price increases and ad tiers being pushed globally, and costs being cut in half over the last 6 months, profitability by the end of FY2024 appears achievable.

Of course nothing is guaranteed, hey maybe the whole bottom drops out of streaming over the next 12 months. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yes, good point. But I tried to avoid new entertainment and keep it to "attractions" which are almost always rides.

I put the 50th and 60th in there because they were so major, and consisted of multiple large-scale entertainment. Plus, I just love a good reason to party. 🥳

Agreed. They just had a huge reason (Destination D23) to announce new expenditures for Fiscal Year 2024 that starts in 3 weeks. And yet Josh was almost entirely silent on '24, except to announce a new Asha meet n' greet and continued work on the log ride remodel.

There's not a bulldozer in sight. I'd bet two churros no new ride opens at Disneyland until 2028, at the earliest. 2030 is safer.
Don't at me.

DLR92

I just want to know where is extra expansion spaces in DCA. Their rumor talks about expansion pad behind Pier size of Pirates of the Caribbean. But I’m having a hard time to believe it.

Disneyland is becoming landlock.

A part of me is fine having no new attractions, Avengers and all that stuff are lack luster for me.

TP2000

Original Poster
I just want to know where is extra expansion spaces in DCA. Their rumor talks about expansion pad behind Pier size of Pirates of the Caribbean. But I’m having a hard time to believe it.

Look at Google Earth. There's a big plot of land behind the roller coaster that could be used for a Pirates-style show building with a ride entrance from the middle of Pixar Pier where nothing happens now.

But you can't take over Katella Avenue, or the Coco's across the street, that's off limits. Salad bars have rights too.

Emmanuel

Look at Google Earth. There's a big plot of land behind the roller coaster that could be used for a Pirates-style show building with a ride entrance from the middle of Pixar Pier where nothing happens now.

But you can't take over Katella Avenue, or the Coco's across the street, that's off limits. Salad bars have rights too.

Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 10.05.06 PM.png

This is the area in question and it can fit a good sized dark ride building.The building behind the incredicoaster loop area is the TSMM show building

lcielia

Considering we just received Galaxy’s Edge, Rise of the Resistance, Avengers Campus, the new ToonTown, Mickey, and that we still have Tiana and the Avengers ride on the way…I think it’s pretty unlikely this will turn out to be a lacking decade for DLR. I feel like this is already better than the 2000s were…sure we got a 2nd gate, but it was DCA 1.0…

Let’s consider also Disneyland Forward and that there’s likely unannounced projects planned for the latter half of the decade. Hakuna Matata, I say.

(I know Galaxy’s Edge isn’t technically this decade but it’s close enough to be relevant to the discussion I think. It certainly goes to show that we can receive something Earth-shattering right at the end of the decade…)

Last edited:

Consumer

Considering we just received Galaxy’s Edge, Rise of the Resistance, Avengers Campus, the new ToonTown, Mickey, and that we still have Tiana and the Avengers ride on the way…I think it’s pretty unlikely this will turn out to be a lacking decade for DLR. I feel like this is already better than the 2000s were…sure we got a 2nd gate, but it was DCA 1.0…

Let’s consider also Disneyland Forward and that there’s likely unannounced projects planned for the latter half of the decade. Hakuna Matata, I say.
Are those supposed to be positives?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom