Is Stitch's Great Escape REALLY that bad?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I love the ride, its one of my favorites. It perfectly combines stitchs personality in a fun ride. If you cant take bad smells, then dont go inside though

It isn't a ride, it's a show (or "attraction" if you want to just call it that)

Second, there's a few issues with the attraction. It was designed to make something like Alien Encounter, but more kid-friendly....it still didn't work IMO because it is still dark, and loud, and smaller kids still freak out on it.

Then there's the painful shoulder restraints, designed to give some "4D" effects to the show, but are not comfortable at all.

The story also has a major flaw because it was meant to be before he became known as "Stitch", but they refer to Experiment 626 as Stitch anyway.

JasonDeyoung

I've never been on it, but from the threads it seems that NO-ONE likes it! :eek: :joyfull:
Can anyone enlighten me as to why it's so awful?

As a side note, I do remember going on Alien Encounter as a child and coming out completely traumatised, though! :hilarious:
I think a lot of it comes from us that liked alien encounter and like more dark scarier intense rides than another kiddy cheesy attraction. Just lack of thrill rides and attractions. I'd at least go on it once before you make your judgement though. Everyone's got different likes and dislikes

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour

Second, there's a few issues with the attraction. It was designed to make something like Alien Encounter, but more kid-friendly....it still didn't work IMO because it is still dark, and loud, and smaller kids still freak out on it.

Then there's the painful shoulder restraints, designed to give some "4D" effects to the show, but are not comfortable at all.

The story also has a major flaw because it was meant to be before he became known as "Stitch", but they refer to Experiment 626 as Stitch anyway.

Actually, this attraction is another example of a retread. The ride tech was modified for AE, the Show tech was modified for AE. The original attraction was Flight to the Moon and then Mission to Mars. So, in essence, this attraction has been re-skinned 3 times.

The conversion from Mission to Mars to AE (ExtraTERORestrial Alien Encounter) added the show effects still used by the Stich show. The active shoulder restraints with integrated sound, the spray broadcasters, the ceiling effects, and the AA in the center are all the same as AE. Take the time to watch the evolution of this attraction via Youtube videos. It's worth the 20 to 30 minutes.

*1023*

@magicdisneypass

Actually, this attraction is another example of a retread. The ride tech was modified for AE, the Show tech was modified for AE. The original attraction was Flight to the Moon and then Mission to Mars. So, in essence, this attraction has been re-skinned 3 times.

The conversion from Mission to Mars to AE (ExtraTERORestrial Alien Encounter) added the show effects still used by the Stich show. The active shoulder restraints with integrated sound, the spray broadcasters, the ceiling effects, and the AA in the center are all the same as AE. Take the time to watch the evolution of this attraction via Youtube videos. It's worth the 20 to 30 minutes.

*1023*
Alien encounter was sooooo much cooler!!!

ChrisFL

Premium Member

*1023*

Yep, I'm fully aware of the older Alien Encounter attraction, I miss Tim Curry's S.I.R. intro

JIMINYCR

Sure, go ahead and try it. You should try every ride once and then make your own judgements. Reviews are peoples judgement calls and just because some dont like it doesnt mean you wont like it.

Now as to your question that started this thread.... Why ?? Personally I abhor Stitch. Why ? Because I absolutely loved Alien Encounter. It was a touch scary, thrilling, and somewhat followed the movie plot. Unfortunately when you were young you went on it and like others were scared. Thats why Disney pulled it. Parents were warned about it and still took their youngsters on it, then they complained. Those of us who were looking for a thrill, now were faced with a much watered down ride.. Stitch. Disney needs rides/ attractions that have an edge to them to attract those of us who like the heart pumping thrill. Unfortunately they fail to do that. They should/ could have kept Alien but have in place a stricter ride policy that was enforced. We hate Stitch because we know what was taken from us and we miss it.

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
I think the idea of a stitch attraction is cool and I think overall it captures the essence of Stitch quite well. I'm just not a big fan because both times I've went on it, the harness came down way to far on my shoulders and it was really uncomfortable.

mergatroid

Sure, go ahead and try it. You should try every ride once and then make your own judgements. Reviews are peoples judgement calls and just because some dont like it doesnt mean you wont like it.

Now as to your question that started this thread.... Why ?? Personally I abhor Stitch. Why ? Because I absolutely loved Alien Encounter. It was a touch scary, thrilling, and somewhat followed the movie plot. Unfortunately when you were young you went on it and like others were scared. Thats why Disney pulled it. Parents were warned about it and still took their youngsters on it, then they complained. Those of us who were looking for a thrill, now were faced with a much watered down ride.. Stitch. Disney needs rides/ attractions that have an edge to them to attract those of us who like the heart pumping thrill. Unfortunately they fail to do that. They should/ could have kept Alien but have in place a stricter ride policy that was enforced. We hate Stitch because we know what was taken from us and we miss it.

There was a movie?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The original name for this attraction was going to be Nostromo, a reference to the spacecraft from the 1979 movie Alien.
The Alien in tube that eventually broke out and threatened the riders on the ride was the same.

The early commercials sort of implied that also.

Kinda like Mission:Space was planned to be based on the Mission to Mars movie early on

orlando678-

Opinion cough cough

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom