Is Stitch's Great Escape REALLY that bad?

mergatroid

The original name for this attraction was going to be Nostromo, a reference to the spacecraft from the 1979 movie Alien.
The Alien in tube that eventually broke out and threatened the riders on the ride was the same.

Thinking back of course it was, durrrrhhh :oops:. I was thinking what film had an alien escaping from a teleporter tube after reading it followed the plot of the film, my bad.

Cosmic Commando

The original attraction was a legit thrill for adults, and not really meant for kids. The Stitch version is too tame to be thrilling for adults, but still too scary for kids. I think that's why it's as unpopular as it is. There's a couple of things that bug me, but I generally like the attraction as it is now.

Goofyernmost

The original attraction was a legit thrill for adults, and not really meant for kids. The Stitch version is too tame to be thrilling for adults, but still too scary for kids. I think that's why it's as unpopular as it is. There's a couple of things that bug me, but I generally like the attraction as it is now.
I don't think it is nearly as unpopular as people think. We tend to think that if we don't go, nobody does. I have never seen it less then 3/4's full and I go in January and February. The preshow is worth the visit all by itself.

PhotoDave219

I've never been on it, but from the threads it seems that NO-ONE likes it! :eek: :joyfull:
Can anyone enlighten me as to why it's so awful?

As a side note, I do remember going on Alien Encounter as a child and coming out completely traumatised, though! :hilarious:

Yes. The chili dog smell and that it "spits" on you. Gross.

Also, there was no reason children should have ever been allowed on AE.

voodoo321

AE wasn't that great either. Though it was pretty creative, at the time, for the space they had to work with. A vast improvement over MtM. If it was still around there would be no lines and we would be screaming for an update to an outdated ride. The Stitch thing is kind of funny and entertaining and not at all a waste of time. Around here, it became fashionable to bash it. If you didn't, you weren't one of the "cool kids".

The smell is very similar, if not the same, as the smoke smell that they pump out on attractions. Most notably on Spaceship Earth. Smells like liquid smoke and probably is. Its the connotation of being belched on with chili dog breath that makes people sick or offended. Its funny to me. I accept others hatred of it, and the attraction in general, if that's truly their opinion. I felt the hate was, and is, disingenuous by many here.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
AE wasn't that great either. Though it was pretty creative, at the time, for the space they had to work with. A vast improvement over MtM. If it was still around there would be no lines and we would be screaming for an update to an outdated ride. The Stitch thing is kind of funny and entertaining and not at all a waste of time. Around here, it became fashionable to bash it. If you didn't, you weren't one of the "cool kids".

The smell is very similar, if not the same, as the smoke smell that they pump out on attractions. Most notably on Spaceship Earth. Smells like liquid smoke and probably is. Its the connotation of being belched on with chili dog breath that makes people sick or offended. Its funny to me. I accept others hatred of it, and the attraction in general, if that's truly their opinion. I felt the hate was, and is, disingenuous by many here.

I think they should just turn it into Frozen: Build a Snowman. Olaf could be in the middle and throw snowballs at you... He could melt at the end... it would be great...

While they're at it, they should change the PeopleMover to the FrozenMover. Have Olaf narrate a tour of the recently re-themed Frozenland. He could talk about Frozen Mountain, Elsa's Snowstorm Spin, and Kristoff's Laughfloor... Don't forget about Wandering Oaken's Frozen shop. Ice cream and Hot Cheese stands...

We may really have something here....

*1023*

AndyS2992

I've only been on it once and at the start when the restraints push down on you I swear my arm was about to dislocate it hurt that much. But yeah I remember getting off it thinking what the hell was that? I recall it being awful though can't really remember much other than having my shoulders crushed.

LauraRose

I went on it before I even knew people hated it and came out thinking what a waste of time, my opinion was formed on my own. Sure sometimes people will go on certain attractions with other people's opinions in their mind, therefor influencing their own opinion. However I think it was awful especially as I spent the whole time expecting something to happen after them safety things came down.

Goofyernmost

I went on it before I even knew people hated it and came out thinking what a waste of time, my opinion was formed on my own. Sure sometimes people will go on certain attractions with other people's opinions in their mind, therefor influencing their own opinion. However I think it was awful especially as I spent the whole time expecting something to happen after them safety things came down.
Something did happen. The show started and no matter how much you hated it, you couldn't get up and leave disrupting others that were enjoying it.;)

POLY LOVER

I like it, there were some tech issues with the guns but I think those got fixed. I like the smells and the licking part, also when he walks on you. It oh spoiler alert but go I think you will like it.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I dont care for the ride because it doesnt stand out to the point where i MUST ride it. Alien Encounter had that "this is terrifying, you shouldnt ride it" kinda feel which made me want to get on it that much more.

MNDad

My whole family enjoyed it when we were there on Saturday. My 16 year old daughter came out of the ride ecstatic that Stich had spit on her! My wife could have done without the chili dog burp but still loved it. My 14 yr old son and 11 yr old daughter liked it as well but the oldest enjoyed it the most.

Jon81uk

The original attraction was a legit thrill for adults, and not really meant for kids. The Stitch version is too tame to be thrilling for adults, but still too scary for kids. I think that's why it's as unpopular as it is.

I agree, the previous version, ExtraTERRORestial was a lot more thrilling, but just didn't fit the Magic Kingdom. If they had built it in DHS I don't think we would have got the Stitch retheme.

DisneyJunkie

To be honest, IMO there has NEVER been anything worthwhile in that space that Stitch's Great Escape currently resides in. I never did "Mission to Mars", but I heard that I wasn't missing anything much. I gave "Extra-Terrorestrial Alien Encounter" a try and it bored me to tears. It wasn't particularly thrilling, scary, or entertaining at all. Then to hear that people thought it was TOO much, so they toned it down and later replaced it with Stitch......was like going from pretty bad to sad. I like the concept of what they've been attempting in that spot, but it simply hasn't worked. I'm not much of a fan of Stitch anyway, so a little bit of that show goes a long way......in my case, to annoyance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom