Is Staying on Property Worth It?

villianess

OK - so I'll admit it! We've never stayed "on property." I've only been to WDW ONCE (DL 3 times), and we stayed off-property at the same hotel as some friends of ours that met us in Orlando. It was very inexpensive at around $38/night - and it was fine. But, whenever we'd be riding them monorail back to our cars at the end of the day, we'd say how awesome it would be to stay in the Contemporary or one of the Disney hotels.
So, planning a trip in September, I'm considering staying on property...but the PRICE! I look at $38/night compared to $150+++/night - and I'm having a really hard time justifying it. Especially when we don't spend much time in the hotel! (My husband likes to get to the parks when they open and stay until they close).
I'd like some adivce. Is it worth the extra $$$???

surfsupdon

It is worth it for my family. No doubt.

Remember that this Website offers a phenomenal rate at the Swan and Dolphin Resorts. You will be paying a Disney moderate resort pricetag for deluxe furnishings and locations. Maybe look into these sister Resorts (not Disney owned) but within walking/boating distance to both Epcot, MGM, and 3other Disney Resorts that have great food options and theming.

It's so nice to just be right there in the center of it all. And the Swan Dolphin is a much more affordable option than most Deluxes and some moderates, depending on the season of travel.

Upvote 0

kal1484

Figure out what the money difference is. For example, off-site is $38, plus rental car (unless they have busses) plus the transportation to the hotel if you didn't drive.

Onsite-150ish a night, no rental car, and free transportation from the airport. plus the extra magic hours.

From what you told us, this is what I would suggest- Get a room at Pop/All-stars. Your husband will love the EMH, plus no need for car or transport. Yes, Contemporary is nice, but is it worth the money? eh...Since it doesn't sound like you or your husband are the relax and get a tan kind of people, does it really matter if you have a nice resort? eh.
So, I'd say overall yes, but only at Pop/All-Stars, since the money you save on car/transportation will overide the price.

Upvote 0

William Marsden

I would say that it all depends. Other posters have written about amenities like Disney Service, Early Entry and Extra Magic Hours. When you stay off property, you need to figure the cost of renting a car and transportation to and from the airport. Many people rent a car even when they stay on property but I don't think it's nessecary.

I would say the biggest advantage or disadvantage is the whole "Disney Magic" thing. Some people love being in totally immersed in the "Disney Experience". When you stay onsite, the experience just continues. There are hidden Mickeys in the wall papaer and on the bedspreads. There's Mickey soap and Mickey shampoo. If you need a wake-up call, one of the Disney characters will be on the other end of the phone. Some people love it. Others think that it's all too much. You need to decide for yourself.

My family is not rich by any means. We search out the best deals on most everything. We've stayed both on and offsite and we'll never go offsite again. We love the Disney atmosphere. At the end of the day, we'd rather get on a Disney bus or boat (never got to stay at a monorail resort) and go back to our resort. When we stayed offsite, we hated getting in a car, leaving the property, and seeing orange cones, 7-elevens and other non-Disney things. We love the total escape. In this way, Disney is different then vacationing in New York, London or any other city. Everyone in WDW is either on a vacation or working to make your vacation better. Out in the real world, you may get other answers but on this website, I'm sure most of us would agree - GIVE ME AN ONSITE RESORT OR GIVE ME DEATH!!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Kadee

First, let me tell you a bit about me and my priorities:
  1. I HATE driving around high-traffic areas....and believe me....WDW is a HIGH-TRAFFIC AREA!!!!
  2. I value my time.
  3. I am a clean-freak.
  4. I am CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP!
With all that said, I will NEVER stay off property, again! We stayed off property once, the first time we went, and we thought it was nice. The second time and everytime there after, we stayed on property. There is just no way to explain to you the true benefits of staying on property, but I will try. As cheap as I am, it is so worth staying at any of the WDW resorts. The grounds, rooms, etc. are much cleaner on property. The time you save by not having to drive everywhere and the extra time you get to spend in the parks is amazing.

In reality, you will have to stay on property once yourself to understand.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Almost all points have been stated already, and done well. My vote is also for staying on property.

I have stayed off when down for conferences or business, and if it's just me, the commute is OK, at the end of the day it is a little extra taxing dealing with the mass migration.

You didn't indicate your travel group size or ages. If it is just one or two adults, you have the greatest flexability and it wouldn't matter as much. With kids, particularly smaller children, the ability to get back to your room for an afternoon nap is tremendous.

With larger groups, however, I think there can be an advantage to staying off site in a house that can be gotten cheaply. There you would have uncontested kitchen and clotheswashing access.

If you stay off site, you will do fine, but I believe if you stay on property, you will be converted to what most people here prefer.

Upvote 0

Seasider

Have never stayed off property, coming from the UK we have been to the All Star Sports in 96, 99, 2000, 2002 and 2005/6(over Christmas and new year) which was just about the best and most memorable holiday our family has had, each time we have visited for 3 weeks, the continual disney atmosphere is great, the service is always first class the benefits just far outweigh any additional cost over staying off property.

In 2002 we came with friends who stayed in a Villa off property, fact is we all walked out of the Magic Kingdom at the same time, we were back at our hotel before they even reached thier car in the lot, and its the same coming to the park, off property can take sometime to actually get from hotel/villa to park entry...tops from on site would be maybe 20 mins from hotel to park entry.

New years eve at EPCOT, we got on the bus at our hotel....there were cars bumper to bumper for as far as the eye could see waiting just to get into the EPCOT lot

We will NEVER stay off property.

Upvote 0

Javier Boughton

i have only stayed once inside disney.. it was my 7 or 8th trip to disneyworld
we stayed at the all star music hotel. it was old, grimmy, etc. didnt like it at all.

Ive payed 80+ taxes...and of course it didnt include anything.

the night before staying inside disney, we stayed at a very close by hampton inn...the room was great, the breakfast was delicious.

we had a car, and never used the buses...

ive just booked a 10 day vacation to orlando this year (sept) and im staying off property again. Ive looked at all the room pictures of all the disney hotels and could find any one thats different...they all look like a room at a la quinta hotel, just with a different theme. I was looking at staying in a moderate resort this time...but the price was just to much...and the value too little...

i mean...the whole disney experience is there...but the price and services of staying off property is great.

if you are going to rent a car, staying outside is a great option..

Upvote 0

col

Seasider said:
Have never stayed off property, coming from the UK we have been to the All Star Sports in 96, 99, 2000, 2002 and 2005/6(over Christmas and new year) which was just about the best and most memorable holiday our family has had, each time we have visited for 3 weeks, the continual disney atmosphere is great, the service is always first class the benefits just far outweigh any additional cost over staying off property.

In 2002 we came with friends who stayed in a Villa off property, fact is we all walked out of the Magic Kingdom at the same time, we were back at our hotel before they even reached thier car in the lot, and its the same coming to the park, off property can take sometime to actually get from hotel/villa to park entry...tops from on site would be maybe 20 mins from hotel to park entry.

New years eve at EPCOT, we got on the bus at our hotel....there were cars bumper to bumper for as far as the eye could see waiting just to get into the EPCOT lot

We will NEVER stay off property.

oh my god!!!! i was there for 3 weeks over xmas and the new year - i spent xmas day in MK (christmas 2007 im in AK :D ) and i spent new years in EPCOT when it was midnight back home i was in the uk pavillion with my hat and horn -best new years EVER!!!!!!!!
i stayed at pop century but next time its the all stars :sohappy:. i loved the feel of it over the holidays visiting all the resorts and parks and seeing the candlelight processional (john stamos 2 times and steven curtis chapman once). everything was amazing and i cant wait to get back there :wave:

Upvote 0

Roger321

To Stay or Not To Stay

I have to add my two cents as well. As you already know, the majority of people on this site feel strongly that the Disney property is the place to be. They are right. If your husband likes staying in the parks all day, the idea of taking a mid-day break at your Disney hotel pool or not driving might not be appealing, but the extended hours and more playtime in the parks themselves might be. The atmosphere at the resorts, especially the moderate ones (Port Orleans) and up are quite enjoyable. Whatever you decide, I am sure you'll have a blast.:)

-Back to Toontown I Go!

Upvote 0

TheBouff

Hi

I am from the UK and have been to WDW 7 times, most recent in may 2005 and have never stayed on property.

I have been to many of the disney resort hotels to use the restuarants and have a look etc, and all the ones i have visited look excellent.

However a trip to orlando for me is not just all about WDW. We always hire a car. We like the freedom. We go to universal / sea world also... which if you don't have a car and are on disney property is a pain to do.

We also take day trips to the coast, down to siesta key and st petes or clearwater.

We like to be able to go to places like wall mart, the florida mall and mall at millenia.

So i guess if you just want a disney holiday a resort hotel could be best, however if you want to explore more of what orlando and florida in general have to offer then off site with a car is the most cost effective option.

Upvote 0

Diztechie

May will be the 14th time since 1998 for my family, and we have pretty much decided that we will never stay off-property. All of the benefits have already been listed, but it's the joy of arriving for vacation, parking the car, and not using it again until vacation is over that brings the smile to my face. After 11 hours of driving, I want my downtime!!!

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

Well I live in Ft. Lauderdale and Visit Disney about 3 times a year. We drive up and use our car the entire time in Kissimmee. My wife gets car sick, so she hates the Disney busses. I have stayed on and off site.

A hotel for us is a bed and a shower. Thats it. I have stayed in the dingiest, dirty, Motel 6. It was not a good experience, but I didn't care. I only used the room to sleep. Now if your a person who loves to go to the pool, and have a drink at the bar, etc. Then stay on-site, because nobody does it better than Disney. But for me it is all about the deals. I spend as much time as possible in the parks. Take it this way, I have been going up to Disney 3 times a year for 20 years and have NEVER set foot in a Disney swimming pool. If MK was open 24 hours a day I wouldn't even need a hotel room.

Upvote 0

Kadee

Darth Angelo said:
.......If MK was open 24 hours a day I wouldn't even need a hotel room.

LMAO:lol: :lol: You know, I never thought about that, but I'm sure there are a LOT of people on here that feel the same way!!!

That being said, I really do enjoy staying on property. I just love getting up early and taking a walk around the resort (POR is my favorite) while the family gets ready to head to the parks.

Also, it is very nice knowing that you don't HAVE to drive if you don't want to, but we always drive down (only 7hours) so we do have our car if we want to go anywhere else.

Upvote 0

banimall

I'll never forget the first time I stayed on site, my soon to be wife (I proposed that trip) almost cried (tears of joy of course) when we drove through the Magic Kingdom gate to go stay at the Shades of Green. She had never stayed on site before. Ever since that trip we've only stayed off site once, and we've been going 5 times a year for the past 10 years.

Upvote 0

jim1051

On site

let me cast my vote for on site. If money is truly the deciding factor, try value resorts or off site, but go. We are DVC members so we are really spoiled with size and convenience of villas but in the past we stayed at Polynesian, Contemporary and Beach club as well. Before DVC we only had big vacations every 2 or 3 years so we splurged on the more expensive ones. I pretty much believe that you get what you pay for and I am certain that is true of Disney resorts.

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

tonganprince said:
Does everyone consider the Swan and Dolphin off site?

On property. Though I have never stayed at those and have heard the "Disney magic" is not as strong there, I would stay at one of those over an off property resort. Most definitely would I stay there!!

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

tonganprince said:
Does everyone consider the Swan and Dolphin off site?

I don't because it is right on the circle with the Boardwalk and Yacht & Beach Club hotels. Yes, the S&D don't quite have the flair of a disney hotel, but walking just outside your door it's like walking out of one of the others. Also S&D do have EMH privileges which is excellent.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom