Is staying in Polynesian worth it?

Is the cost of Polynesian worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 84 56.0%
  • No

Votes: 67 44.7%

• Total voters

mrs moon

Ohhhh im so sorry to upset any ones plans!....I,myself (nanny),daughter and grand daughter(12 year old) checked into the Poly Oct last year checkin was lovely (we were given a lieu) and headed to our standard view room
We were in Raratonga...,we were super excited! The room location was great .close to everything!
On opening the door to our room our hearts sank!,,the room was soooo tired ,there was a large area of wet carpet down by the fridge which had a damp smell, we called front desk who sent someone out quickly! Although the room had disappointed us we decided it wasnt going to spoil things!
We walked around the resort, which we had done so on many other occasions when staying at different resorts and loved the grounds!
as always! We picked up our Disney mugs from Captain Cooks and headed to the refill station for coffee.
My daughter asked me if i could smell an awful smell and as i walked towards her the smell hit me!
It was as though someone had put a dirty diaper in the place where you through dirty teabags,we called over a young worker who told us that he had reported this many times,he went on to say maybe if we spoke with his manager it would make a difference.we said definitely!
The manger that come over was also young and he just apologized & said it was spillage underneath the counter that he would have cleaned out!
I totally understand that when you have a large volume of people staying at any resort you can have problems but when i say it smelled awful im not exaggerating!
My daughter said her words"Mum this place is a dump",i cant eat here in the morning!, so we went back to front desk!
Front desk were lovely , we explained how we felt and they kindly got us a cab and moved us to the Beach Club,
Our holiday then began!
I know everyone experience is different and maybe we were just very unlucky but i would not chance staying again!

erasure fan1

I voted no because while it was cool, in no way would it be worth the cost in my eyes. We used DVC points that the in-laws had that couldn't be banked. We didn't go in the parks and just stayed for 3 days. If spending that kind of money is like most people going to McDonalds for you, then I would say go for it. The monorail and boat access was nice, and the pool was great. The lake side room with a view of the magic kingdom and the fireworks was awesome. But it all boils down to money. If you have a lot of it, worth it. If not, like @Master Yoda said, riverside and the other moderates are much better values.

RichC

I stayed there as a toddler in the 70s but never since. With my own family now, though, we make it a point to hang out at the Polynesian a bit every trip. We have determined it will be our resort on the next trip in two years.

We stayed at the Contemporary last year. It was the first time we went with a deluxe resort and I thought it was well worth the cost. Our room was beautiful and I loved the resort and location. The Polynesian’s theming appeals to me even more (I am building my own tiki bar at my house, to give you an idea) and I expect that extra love of the ambience to justify the extra expense. We have taken the monorail from MK to Poly several times now after dark and always say to ourselves, “this is the resort to which we want to come back”.

I get nostalgic at Disney; a little melancholy, even. The older parts of the World evoke memories and feelings from childhood that are deeply affecting. That came with our Contemporary stay and I am glad for it. Since I can’t go back and book a room at the Golf Resort, I think the Poly is for me. (Ironically, the money I should be saving for that trip now is being spent on the home tiki bar. 😣)

21stamps

Ohhhh im so sorry to upset any ones plans!....I,myself (nanny),daughter and grand daughter(12 year old) checked into the Poly Oct last year checkin was lovely (we were given a lieu) and headed to our standard view room
We were in Raratonga...,we were super excited! The room location was great .close to everything!
On opening the door to our room our hearts sank!,,the room was soooo tired ,there was a large area of wet carpet down by the fridge which had a damp smell, we called front desk who sent someone out quickly! Although the room had disappointed us we decided it wasnt going to spoil things!
We walked around the resort, which we had done so on many other occasions when staying at different resorts and loved the grounds!
as always! We picked up our Disney mugs from Captain Cooks and headed to the refill station for coffee.
My daughter asked me if i could smell an awful smell and as i walked towards her the smell hit me!
It was as though someone had put a dirty diaper in the place where you through dirty teabags,we called over a young worker who told us that he had reported this many times,he went on to say maybe if we spoke with his manager it would make a difference.we said definitely!
The manger that come over was also young and he just apologized & said it was spillage underneath the counter that he would have cleaned out!
I totally understand that when you have a large volume of people staying at any resort you can have problems but when i say it smelled awful im not exaggerating!
My daughter said her words"Mum this place is a dump",i cant eat here in the morning!, so we went back to front desk!
Front desk were lovely , we explained how we felt and they kindly got us a cab and moved us to the Beach Club,
Our holiday then began!
I know everyone experience is different and maybe we were just very unlucky but i would not chance staying again!

My only complaint about the monorail resorts is how crowded the lobbies and quick service are. A lot of people visit who aren’t staying there, and I think Captain Cook’s can sometimes get messy or too crowded because of it.

It’s worth the trade off for me, but I agree that the other resorts are a little more calm on that front.

kong1802

We stayed here last October. It was on our bucket list to stay in a "loop" hotel. We paid a little north of $600/night. We even got a free upgrade to the club level. We were beyond excited. We stayed for 2 nights. At first we were really impressed. Views of the castle, nice looking grounds, free beer!! However, at night and in the early morning, we could hear every little noise going on in the hallway, in the rooms adjoining ours, and our upstairs neighbors. It was worse than my cheap apartment I had in my early college days. We also discovered that we did not liked the dining options at the hotel. They also closed earlier than we were used to at more deluxe hotels. I believe they closed at 10. We did enjoy the pool one day, and like the monorail access. But was it worth the money? I would say no. Even with the free upgrade to club level. 2 months later we stayed at the Royal pacific at Uni. Paid $250/night, and had a much much better experience.

Jocie115

NO.... we did it back in November. It is SO overrated and would not recommend it. Doesn't have the magical Disney resort feel like the Wilderness or AKL or Grand Floridian, etc because all the buildings are spread out. Felt like we were at the Caribbean Beach again and had to walk far to get to the Lobby area, where everything is. We had refillable drink mugs that were never used because of this, no one wanted to walk there lol. Also- Monorail wasn't that great. LONG lines at opening and closing. And the ferry option was a lot worse in our opinion. We would never stay there again. Dont forget: Only PARK bus service to AK and HS.

eliza61nyc

So I'm going to echo everyone else and say worth is subjective. Now for me, I don't have a lot of money nor vacation time so hotels are of vital importance. I've got to live in this place for a week or more. So if I'm going to go on vacation, I much rather stretch my budget and be assured of a great hotel than try to go cheap and hate the hotel.

For me, the values are not worth it because I hated them. beds were terrible, I dislike food courts, and I don't like the motel aspect of walking out of the door and being outside.

We spend quite a bit of time at the resorts probably because we usually go when it's Africa hot outside and spend the entire afternoon at the resort. We've got to like it.

Now I actually liked the poly before the rehab. I think it was more "umph" to it. I love the Grand floridian which is probably around the same price point.
Would I pay rack rate? probably not because Disney has too many discounts for me to do that but I would rather shell out the 400/night and really enjoy the hotel and the location.

James Clifton

I've gone to WDW for quite a few yrs. & stayed at the POLY 8 times. Been there done that! Now...not at the present price! IF I go Deluxe I'll stay at the WL....stayed there quite a bit.Last visit I stayed at POFQ....it was fine!
Jim

Dutch Inn '76

We stayed at the Polynesian in January. I doubt I'll ever stay there again. I don't have any horror stories to tell - it was fine - I just don't think it's 'worth it.' It's so freakin' expensive. ...too expensive...

I like the Contemporary, and I'll probably go back there; but it's a bit cheaper and I love the monorail...

...and IMHO, if you're apprehensive now, you'll be hard to please at the Polynesian.

iluvMainStMagic

We have stayed in several resorts the most costly one being Caribbean. I think our other choice will be to stay at Port Orleans, the only thing is....we are from New Orleans and it would feel fake. We want to stay somewhere new but cant decide.

We love both Port Orleans resorts, but I totally understand that you want to stay at a resort themed differently from where you live. If you're ok with paying more to stay at a Deluxe, my suggestion would be to take a look at Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge. The theming of each one (to us) is great, and the prices are not as high as those near MK or the BoardWalk.
I love the Poly atmosphere, but the prices are just too high now, for me. However, at some point during our trip, I do love to go over there to look around and maybe enjoy a meal or a Dole Whip. And for me, the same holds true for Wl and AKL, I just love those lobby atmospheres!
Which ever resort you choose, I hope you have a Wonderful time!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
In my opinion, no. I prefer Animal Kingdom Lodge even if they were both the same price, and it just so happens that Animal Kingdom Lodge is also much cheaper.
Dude...on'tday etlay everyoneyay owknay owhay oodgay animalyay ingdomkay odgelay isyay oryay isneyday illway aiseray ethay icepray !

AKL is horrible! It takes like an extra 6 hours to get to the parks and I can't tell you how many times I have been woken up by a herd of zebras running right through the middle of my room! I also hear they stuff the mattresses with giraffe guano.

correcaminos

A DUMP!? Can you elaborate on this? I am planning a trip with extended family for December and have already reserved several regular sized rooms and two bungalows for our group. I'm comfortable with the price tag but I am certainly not comfortable staying in "a dump". For reference, we generally stay at Boardwalk, Beach Club, Yacht Club, or Wilderness Lodge and find all of those properties to be very nice if we focus on the positive. They aren't perfect by any means but they are all far from being "a dump".
Please give me some specifics so I can consider switching resorts if necessary. It's a lot of pressure to plan a vacation for a group, especially one that includes Disney First Timers.

I've done BC, bungalows, different Polynesian rooms and honestly what some love others hate. I prefer Polynesian by far to Beach Club in terms of rooms and location actually. Just because one didn't like it, doesn't mean it's a dump. And those bungalows were so worth it to me! There is no better view in all of Disney than from those bungalows hands down. They are upscale but still have that cool tiki vibe.

To the OP to me the location is worth it. That said I grew up with only limited resorts and by the time the values were built I had a strong preference for the deluxes and even moderates. To me I cannot be comfortable at the values (any of them). So it's worth it. But everyone has their own likes and how they travel so what works for me might not work for you.

Rlandrigan

Poly is cool - but expensive. if you're looking at an upgrade over a Value, then I'd suggest -
1. Port Orleans French Quarter - small, easy to get around, but a nice resort. Great staff, a peaceful break from the chaos that can be the parks, and the buses run well.
2. Animal Kingdom Lodge if you can get a good rate - still far cheaper than Poly, an amazing place to stay at least once. Best on-resort dining options, stunning lobby and views, a real treat.
3. Wilderness Lodge, if you can get a good rate - The boat ride, in the evening, back to the lodge or into the park, remains my favorite trip on property. Peaceful, wonderful, and neat.

After that, it's all price - Poly is neat, but so pricey that you could be missing out on doing things just to sleep there.

lostpro9het

AKL is horrible! It takes like an extra 6 hours to get to the parks and I can't tell you how many times I have been woken up by a herd of zebras running right through the middle of my room! I also hear they stuff the mattresses with giraffe guano.
Don't forget that there is no where to eat their either, their pools are basically just concrete puddles, and the walk to your room from the lobby 1.78 miles according to my pedometer.

OneofThree

All I'll say is that there's a reason why Disney is able to charge what they do for a Poly stay. Evidently, there are many people for whom the intangibles of the resort are well worth the price.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom