Is the cost of Polynesian worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 84 56.0%
  • No

Votes: 67 44.7%

• Total voters

DarthVader

Sith Lord
it's 'worth it.' It's so freakin' expensive. ...too expensive...

I like the Contemporary, and I'll probably go back there; but it's a bit cheaper and I love the monorail...
Depending on the rooms you choose at the contemporary, its not that much cheaper. Don't get me wrong, I love the Contemporary. My wife and kids are so excited for the Poly, I think it has a lot going for it, and it being on the monorail loop is definitely a big plus

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Don't forget that there is no where to eat their either, their pools are basically just concrete puddles, and the walk to your room from the lobby 1.78 miles according to my pedometer.
One time, I stayed in the room directly outside Boma's kitchen exhaust vents. It was the
best smell I've ever smelled in my life.

HouCuseChickie

You are going to find Poly lovers who will stay there at any cost and tell you it's worth every penny. For everyone else, it's harder to gauge worth since what's important to me might not be important to you and what I'm willing to spend may be higher or lower than some. I've stayed at the Poly, but wasn't wowed. My parents just stayed there last week and while they loved the room size, they came away with a similar feeling on the overall experience. Still, I'd stay there again because of the location/convenience, room size, and the nice places to relax during down time. Still, none of us spent $600 a night to stay there and don't feel what we experienced was worth that price tag.

Weather_Lady

I think our other choice will be to stay at Port Orleans, the only thing is....we are from New Orleans and it would feel fake. We want to stay somewhere new but cant decide.

I feel your pain. We're from Upstate New York, and have the same reaction whenever anyone suggests Saratoga Springs Resort... :)

Astro_Digital

When I stay at a place, I am there to sleep.
Spending $400 or more for a place to sleep at the end of the day ?
Well I guess if you are rich ? and you almost need to be rich to go to Walt Disney World anyway.

Family of 5 could cost you $500 to get into the gate, a few hundred for food and drinks, and maybe a couple hundred for tacky over priced Disney stuff.

aw14

A DUMP!? Can you elaborate on this? I am planning a trip with extended family for December and have already reserved several regular sized rooms and two bungalows for our group. I'm comfortable with the price tag but I am certainly not comfortable staying in "a dump". For reference, we generally stay at Boardwalk, Beach Club, Yacht Club, or Wilderness Lodge and find all of those properties to be very nice if we focus on the positive. They aren't perfect by any means but they are all far from being "a dump".
Please give me some specifics so I can consider switching resorts if necessary. It's a lot of pressure to plan a vacation for a group, especially one that includes Disney First Timers.
seriously, I would love to know as well. There was nothing "dumpy" about the Poly IMO when we stayed.

joejccva71

I think I'm probably alone in this, but I do not like resorts where you have to walk back outside to get to your room. I know that is weird to some, but I like everything being 'connected' so to speak. Like, the Contemporary or all of the Epcot resorts, etc. The restaurants, amenities, and everything are connected to one big building so to speak. I just prefer it.

correcaminos

Last trip we stayed at the Beach Club villas for 5 nights and then the Poly bungalows for 3 nights. Both Resorts where absolutely incredible and where both our first time experiencing them. I loved StormAlongBay and the proximity to Epcot, but the bungalows on the other hand where just magical, the view was amazing, and seeing Electrical Water pageant 50 feet away from your deck and the fireworks with the music where just amazing.

I do like the proximity to Epcot but the last 2 BC stays we have had horrible bus service to/from MK. That kind of irked me. I'm also not a huge SAB fan. Too crowded and the chairs are just crammed together like sardines. Not a fan of how to get to the slide either.

Don't get me wrong I like BC a lot, but I just didn't love everything about it. We'll happily stay there though but I think our heart lies with Polynesian.

In reality all Deluxes to me are great. Each offers something unique and wonderful. Some will appeal more to some than others. I think if the OP's heart is set on Polynesian that they should stay there.

I think I'm probably alone in this, but I do not like resorts where you have to walk back outside to get to your room. I know that is weird to some, but I like everything being 'connected' so to speak. Like, the Contemporary or all of the Epcot resorts, etc. The restaurants, amenities, and everything are connected to one big building so to speak. I just prefer it.
Except at BW to get to most of the food and shopping you have to go outside. It's why I don't like it as much as BC. BC's QS options are getting pretty lousy though :( There used to be a lot more choices at the marketplace. Now it's severely diminished.

Very much so, of course we always find a discount so Ive never had to pay full price but we adore it, the views are hands down the best on property, the monorail convenience is amazing and the whole feel of the resort is relaxing and romantic

Lilincoln

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but this is our favorite hotel.

The vibe is totally relaxing and, I might be a sucker, but there is something about a monorail hotel that makes you feel you are in some way staying in the park.

A view of the castle from the pool, taking the launch to the Magic Kingdom , watching the ferries on the lagoon and maybe even listening to the music and trains from the MK in the morning as the park wakes up makes me feel like I really am in a magical area. That makes the $ worth it. If that doesn't impact you, then this won't be worth the money.

And I don't want to let Disney off the hook on amenities or service, but I always get a kick out of people disappointed in less than 5 star service at one of these hotels. These are family hotels connected to the most popular theme parks in the world, not luxury resorts catering to those that want to be pampered. A Ritz Carlton in Orlando might be priced close to a monorail resort but those with a premium location (ie central park) can go for well over $1000 per night.

For monorail hotels, you pay for access to the experience, not thread counts on the sheets.

gsansone

Have to remember that the Poly is an original resort. They've remodeled and enhanced and dolled it up over the years for sure, but the size and layout of the rooms is still 1971. Elevators, too. I think they tried to make up for that with an outstanding resort outside of your room, but you pay a huge premium for being on a monorail line and close to the TTC. It's all relative. As a DVC member, I've been frustrated by the fact that they only have deluxe studios or the oppressively expensive lakefront bungalows. My share is at the Grand Floridian, when I can get a studio, 1 bed or 2 bedroom villa. And it's even closer to the MK.

drwadadli

We think staying at the Polynesia is worth it. I used to stay there on and off when I was a kid, and now, my wife and I really liked staying they.

What we like about it is:
- Can walk to the TTC to catch ferry (if the monorail is really busy or broken down) to MK or monorail to Epcot
- One of the best places to watch the fireworks over the castle
- The island atmosphere (especially after living on a Caribbean island for 3 years)
- Can walk to the Grand Floridian for dinner if opted to

Last edited:

OG Runner

The route by the GF would include a swim across a canal that has no bridge.:)

I could be wrong, but when I ran the marathon, we came in from one side of the Magic Kingdom, past the Contemporary, and when
we left the Magic Kingdom, we ran down another road, right by the entrance to the Grand Floridian. I thought you could walk this
way, but like I said, I admit, I could be wrong.

drwadadli

I could be wrong, but when I ran the marathon, we came in from one side of the Magic Kingdom, past the Contemporary, and when
we left the Magic Kingdom, we ran down another road, right by the entrance to the Grand Floridian. I thought you could walk this
way, but like I said, I admit, I could be wrong.
Sorry but you can't walk from MK to GF. They never built the bridge over the canal. When you run the marathon, you run out of MK where the parade routes start on to Caribbean Way and then onto Floridian Way which takes you by the GF. That is not the way into MK though. So, you are correct that you ran from MK to GF but just not the way the public is allowed to go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom