Is the cost of Polynesian worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 84 56.0%
  • No

Votes: 67 44.7%

• Total voters

Disneyratboygenious

Original Poster
We usually never stay on property but if we decided to, we might stay at Polynesian. We would stay 6 nights, so it would be over 3,000. That is a lot compared to our usual stay, and our last stay on property at all-star music.

Weather_Lady

Staying at the Poly (at least once) is worth it to me, but not for $600/night. We rented DVC points and are paying $408/night for a Polynesian studio. I wouldn't pay more than that (and if it wasn't a bucket list item for me, I wouldn't even be paying that much -- just to compare, we're splitting our next stay between the Polynesian and Beach Club, also on rented DVC points, and Beach Club is only $272/night).

Still, it's all relative! My home mortgage is only $900/month and I live in a part of the country where the cost of living is low (but so are our paychecks), so $3,000 is a ton of money to me. For those whose budgets are far higher, the high cost of the Polynesian would be less intimidating.

UPDATE: Just got back from 8 days in Orlando, which ended with our 2-night stay at the Polynesian. In our case, the $408 nightly rate was totally worth it. The resort was everything we'd hoped it would be, and more. Gorgeous setting, beautiful room, great food, convenient transportation, lovely pool... it was one of those bucket list experiences that totally lived up to the hype in my head. The only negative was that eventually we had to leave.

Last edited:

MaryJaneP

Our opinion is the accommodations and dining do not justify the cost. We stayed there on two occasions and while we enjoyed the view, the proximity to the TTC, and the walkways, we could not justify spending so much for a clearly substandard generic motel room. Some may sing the praises of the dole whips, tonga toast, and dining, but we were very underwhelmed. Bucket list item crossed off.

21stamps

It only depends if you feel the pros are worth the additional cost.

For me personally, Poly is not worth it for a 1 or 2 night stay, but is worth it for a 6 night or longer.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It all depends on if you are going to use what that $600 a night buys you.

If you plan on being at the parks from open to close and only intend on being at the resort to shower and sleep then any thing more than a value is kind of a waste.

If you will be spending a good bit of time at the resort, hanging out at the pool and want to spend the majority of your park time at MK then the Poly can be worth it.

Disneyratboygenious

Original Poster
Our opinion is the accommodations and dining do not justify the cost. We stayed there on two occasions and while we enjoyed the view, the proximity to the TTC, and the walkways, we could not justify spending so much for a clearly substandard generic motel room. Some may sing the praises of the dole whips, tonga toast, and dining, but we were very underwhelmed. Bucket list item crossed off.
We have stayed in several resorts the most costly one being Caribbean. I think our other choice will be to stay at Port Orleans, the only thing is....we are from New Orleans and it would feel fake. We want to stay somewhere new but cant decide.

JIMINYCR

If you can afford the cost and you are looking for the type of theming Poly will give you, sure its worth it. The resort is beautifully themed and being on the monorail line has its advantages. You will see a huge difference in Poly vs All Star Music. For some the stay in one resort vs another is all about dollars and cents, for others its the atmosphere. Only you can say after your stay if it was worth it for you.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Worth is a subjective concept.

We're actually staying at the Poly this April. I've been saving up for this for over 2 years. Its one of those must do things that my wife had on her bucket list and of course my kids wanted to stay there when we had a meal at the resort.

I believe its the most popular resort and it sells out faster then other resorts on property so I think many people think its worth it.

Disneyratboygenious

Original Poster
Worth is a subjective concept.

We're actually staying at the Poly this April. I've been saving up for this for over 2 years. Its one of those must do things that my wife had on her bucket list and of course my kids wanted to stay there when we had a meal at the resort.

I believe its the most popular resort and it sells out faster then other resorts on property so I think many people think its worth it.
The cost just seems hard just justify considering the thing we are looking for is just a new resort that we haven’t stayed at.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
The cost just seems hard just justify considering the thing we are looking for is just a new resort that we haven’t stayed at.
No question, its extremely expensive, I was hoping to take advantage of the incentives that disney frequently offers, sadly that didn't work out so, cha-ching.

Another option is to rent DVC points, you can snag a deluxe resort for less. We opted against that, since this vacation was originally scheduled for November and we changed it - too many moving parts to figure out if DVC rental would be for us this time

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Then your answer is a resounding no.

If you want to upgrade the experience a little, book Port Orleans Riverside of French Quarter. You will get a bigger bed, a slightly bigger room and a resort vs a hotel. IMHO, the moderate resorts give you the best bang for your buck at WDW.

BoarderPhreak

If you're paying the rack rate, not really. If you get it through a promotion, it's a slightly different story. Either way, it's quite pricey all things considered. If you're in it for "the Disney experience" and want something in the top tier - it is what it is. That said, it is a really nice resort. As mentioned, it's fully themed, has monorail access, amenities are very close/central, etc. If you opt for one of the bungalos/studios, that's a whole new level... Otherwise, I think both GF and CR offer more in the strictly luxury sense, and AKL offers just as much in terms of theming (which is of a similar palette, though obviously not Polynesian).

Personally, I'd consider some of the Moderate Resorts (less money, somewhat diminished experience) or the Swan/Dolphin (less to more money, no theming but more luxury) or if you really want all-out luxury and sparing no expense, consider the Four Seasons.

In the end it comes down to your priorities - and how much you're willing to pay for it.

Last edited:

Gainesvillain

Love the Polynesian, esp. Trader Sam's and on-site Dole Whip! BUT like others have said, unless you are spending a lot of time at the resort, save your money and go moderate or even value, if you are literally just showering and sleeping. That said, it is a "bucket list" kind of resort!

Last edited:

Hcalvert

I'm going in June, which will be our first time at Poly. I have also rented DVC points privately and paid $2100 for a weekly stay with 4 adults and 1 child. I am looking forward to the extra bathroom.

Skibum1970

Staying at the Poly (at least once) is worth it to me, but not for $600/night. We rented DVC points and are paying $408/night for a Polynesian studio. I wouldn't pay more than that (and if it wasn't a bucket list item for me, I wouldn't even be paying that much -- just to compare, we're splitting our next stay between the Polynesian and Beach Club, also on rented DVC points, and Beach Club is only $272/night).

Still, it's all relative! My home mortgage is only $900/month and I live in a part of the country where the cost of living is low (but so are our paychecks), so $3,000 is a ton of money to me. For those whose budgets are far higher, the high cost of the Polynesian would be less intimidating.

I completely agree with this. The most that I pay for a deluxe is about $400/night and that means hopefully Wilderness Lodge or maybe a resort with a good discount. $200/night at POR or POFQ fits my budget better. I can save $1,000 over five nights. However, I miss the Lodge and/or Contemporary Resort.

mrs moon

i moved from the Poly the same day we arrived...I consider myself easy to please but found the Poly which i thought would be my dream hotel to be a dump!!..strong words i know but thats honestly what i and the rest of my family found!..Staff there were lovely and helped us move to the Beach Club (which was in a different league!...I was so sorry my dream was dashed!

BoardwalkGigi

i moved from the Poly the same day we arrived...I consider myself easy to please but found the Poly which i thought would be my dream hotel to be a dump!!..strong words i know but thats honestly what i and the rest of my family found!..Staff there were lovely and helped us move to the Beach Club (which was in a different league!...I was so sorry my dream was dashed!
A DUMP!? Can you elaborate on this? I am planning a trip with extended family for December and have already reserved several regular sized rooms and two bungalows for our group. I'm comfortable with the price tag but I am certainly not comfortable staying in "a dump". For reference, we generally stay at Boardwalk, Beach Club, Yacht Club, or Wilderness Lodge and find all of those properties to be very nice if we focus on the positive. They aren't perfect by any means but they are all far from being "a dump".
Please give me some specifics so I can consider switching resorts if necessary. It's a lot of pressure to plan a vacation for a group, especially one that includes Disney First Timers.

21stamps

A DUMP!? Can you elaborate on this? I am planning a trip with extended family for December and have already reserved several regular sized rooms and two bungalows for our group. I'm comfortable with the price tag but I am certainly not comfortable staying in "a dump". For reference, we generally stay at Boardwalk, Beach Club, Yacht Club, or Wilderness Lodge and find all of those properties to be very nice if we focus on the positive. They aren't perfect by any means but they are all far from being "a dump".
Please give me some specifics so I can consider switching resorts if necessary. It's a lot of pressure to plan a vacation for a group, especially one that includes Disney First Timers.

I’m curious too.

I’ve stayed at Poly during more than 2 dozen visits over the past few decades, I’ve never experienced a “dump” or heard someone classify it as a “dump” before.

fluffy

I've stayed at the Poly and several other of the Deluxe hotels. It was my favorite for sure but back then our room with a discount ( code ) was only $200 per night. We lucked out. Now, I'd only book it renting Disney Vacation Club points. We were unable to get the dates we wanted so we booked the Disney Dolphin with a senior discount for $300 per night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom