Is the cost of Polynesian worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 84 56.0%
  • No

Votes: 67 44.7%

• Total voters

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Wow! So you're saying that it's now faster to take the MK local loop all the way around to the TTC and change monorails to go to Epcot?
Yes, sadly it was.

You're dealing with a small subset of people hopping on the monorail at the poly. At the TTC, you're dealing with a sea of people going to MK or Epcot. The lines were an order of magnatude larger, and the time to get through was excessive.

21stamps

THIS... This is the reason we 75% of the time stay Value at Disney. I really don't feel I am getting THAT much better service at a Deluxe than I do at Pop Century. We have stayed at them all Value, Mod, Deluxe, DVC you name it and besides 1 or 2 bedroom DVC I don't feel any of the other "hotel" rooms are worth it. We as well have no quarrels spending the money but every time I have spent over 300$ outside Disney we are greeted with a completely different experience then say if I were to have a room at the Beach Club. No happy hour, no turn down, no robes, very standard bedding I could go on and on. We stay Value spend our time in the parks and resort hop a lot. Especially with the new Pop refurb and gondolas coming I have a hard time justifying Deluxe. While it is nice to walk to HS and EP from Crescent Lake and monorail to MK from Monorail resorts the difference of 400-500 a night does not make it that more appealing then the 10 minute Uber or Bus from other resorts. Not to mention even if we were staying at Poly I still would want to visit Crescent Lake hotels, Wilderness Lodge ect, I wouldn't want to spend all my time just at Poly.

I don’t think many people understand why Poly is priced the way it is.

Location. Views. Amenities. Convenience. Location. Location. Location.

Just like any other overpriced room in any tourist spot.

If its a bucket list item, go for it.

If not .. well .. let me tell you about hotels accommodations that are 500+ a night outside of disney (rest of world), for 550 a night, you'd get access to a private concierge, and bell hop, normally some sort of high level suite room, fully furnished with top of the line items. Along with allot of other perks.

We have no quarrels spending 300-500 a night at a hotel, if the service is up to par. AKA, I forget a toothbrush, they go get one for me. Especially if the hotel has nice amenities associated with it (more time on property is spent then).

IMO, no Disney hotel short of a few wildly over priced posh suites are worth it, but i wouldn't stay in those either, simply because your paying 1500 a night for service you can get elsewhere for 500 to 600..

But if you want to do it, and experience it, go for it. Ya may never get the chance again (mantra).

Not all $400-$500 pn rooms come with concierge service. Many don’t.

Regardless, see above. The pricing is for the location at Disney World.

dieboy

Actually, most at 500 a night do, and are top level multi room suites. Check downtown chicago, NY, even LA. Standard JW's are around 600-700 a night for the top of the line service, but the place is pretty upscale no matter what room (even a 350/night room), with lots of service options. Normally centrally located to all the surrounding attractions.

I understand your paying for location. Not every room has a view at the poly either, may half or less. Amenities, pool, food, and not even the best spa at disney (an no its not at the Floridian) Infact, most 'amenities' are the same listed at the cheaper resorts. IMO ALL you are paying for at the poly is location, and i can tolerate an extra 20 minutes on a bus to get wherever. And its only so so location, it gives you slightly better access to MK and Epcot.

Amos1784

I understand why it is priced how it is I just don't agree. I'm from Chicago have stayed all over here, and have recently stayed on Waikiki Beach, Coronado Island ect. the justification that the Poly compares to any resort charging 500-600 dollars it just doesn't. You can get an executive suite right now at the four seasons in Chicago on the lakefront and off the mag mile for around 450.00. Significantly more amenities. I think the main thing is comparing to cheaper Disney resorts if I can stay at Pop for around 130 or Poly for 500, for 4 nights is Poly worth an extra 1500 dollars? I don't know, that is hard to justify. In a perfect world to me I think the Values should be around or under 100 a night, Mods at around 150-200, and Deluxes around 250(WL,AKL)-350 based on the amenities and locations. However I know we will never see those prices again ;)

CaptainAmerica

I just got back from the a week at the Poly, and I have to say unequivocally, its worth it. We had such a great time, and being on the monorail loop was fantastic.

There used to be an advantage to walking to the TTC to pick up the Epcot monorail but given Disney's security changes that advantage as been nullified, now that you have to deal with long lines at the TTC to go through security. Its much better to go through the security checkpoint at the monorail station at the poly.

Overall, the entire stay was extremely enjoyable, my kids absolutely loved staying there and we spent many nights at the pool watching the fireworks.
I'm surprised at how many people consider the fireworks a feature. I've never stayed at a monorail resort but we've done Fort Wilderness a few times and the water pageant is the most obnoxious thing I could possibly imagine. Seeing it once was neat, but the noise of it for the other seven nights of my trip got old quickly.

CaptainAmerica

I understand why it is priced how it is I just don't agree. I'm from Chicago have stayed all over here, and have recently stayed on Waikiki Beach, Coronado Island ect. the justification that the Poly compares to any resort charging 500-600 dollars it just doesn't. You can get an executive suite right now at the four seasons in Chicago on the lakefront and off the mag mile for around 450.00. Significantly more amenities. I think the main thing is comparing to cheaper Disney resorts if I can stay at Pop for around 130 or Poly for 500, for 4 nights is Poly worth an extra 1500 dollars? I don't know, that is hard to justify. In a perfect world to me I think the Values should be around or under 100 a night, Mods at around 150-200, and Deluxes around 250(WL,AKL)-350 based on the amenities and locations. However I know we will never see those prices again ;)
You say you understand and then immediately prove that you don't.

How long would it take you to get from that executive suite in Chicago to the Magic Kingdom? About six hours and $200 worth of transportation, not six minutes for free. Does the executive suite in Chicago make you feel like you're in a Hawaiian village, or does it make you feel like you're in an executive suite in Chicago? If someone offered you five free nights at the executive suite in Chicago or five free nights at the Polynesian, which would you choose?

It was the highlight of our night, every night. My kids loved the idea and the watershow was fine, it didn't bother me at all.
Hm. We see them once per trip and then we're satisfied. I put a high premium on quiet in my hotel selection.

21stamps

My other vacation spots in FL are Palm Beach, Boca Raton, and Key West. $400-$500 does not get me an executive suite in any of the hotels I stay at in any of those 3 spots.

Location and demand is everything.. the monorail resorts are stupidly expensive, but they’re in demand , and their location can’t be beat. Their themes and amenities are included in that as well.
It’s not difficult to understand why they are priced like they are.. even if we all (myself included) hate the pricing.

21stamps

Hm. We see them once per trip and then we're satisfied. I put a high premium on quiet in my hotel selection.

That’s the biggest part of personal preference. Wherever I am, I want to be in the center of the “action”.., I’ve lived in a “downtown” area or an intracoastal for most of my adult life.. I’m in the suburbs now and it took me a long time to get used to the “quiet” I miss the sights and sounds of boats and a lively atmosphere.
I also miss having a Starbucks, shopping, bars, and restaurants within walking distance. I’ve always been willing to pay a premium for that stuff.. housing or vacays. Now, it’s only vacations where I can do that. Convenience is my biggest “value” factor.. for other people it may rank low on their list.

BASS

Part of the problem is that for my family, we spend little time in the room. I've vacationed in places where you want to be at the hotel (or AIRBNB or whatever). Like at a beach. A vineyard. A mountain. In those instances, it's worth it for me. However, we spend so little time in the room that I don't value those prices. But, obviously, to each's own.

Amos1784

You say you understand and then immediately prove that you don't.

How long would it take you to get from that executive suite in Chicago to the Magic Kingdom? About six hours and $200 worth of transportation, not six minutes for free. Does the executive suite in Chicago make you feel like you're in a Hawaiian village, or does it make you feel like you're in an executive suite in Chicago? If someone offered you five free nights at the executive suite in Chicago or five free nights at the Polynesian, which would you choose?

I know we are on a Disney board...but going to the Magic Kingdom is not EVERYONE'S idea of the best day ever.

If someone offered me 5 nights in an executive suite in any other major tourist area in the country I would take it over 5 nights at the Poly. I am good with Values or Mods.

Amos1784

My other vacation spots in FL are Palm Beach, Boca Raton, and Key West. $400-$500 does not get me an executive suite in any of the hotels I stay at in any of those 3 spots.

Location and demand is everything.. the monorail resorts are stupidly expensive, but they’re in demand , and their location can’t be beat. Their themes and amenities are included in that as well.
It’s not difficult to understand why they are priced like they are.. even if we all (myself included) hate the pricing.

I've literally said I understand I just don't agree COMPARED to other hotels on property and the value. The whole point of this post is "is it worth it" in my opinion no...

21stamps

I've literally said I understand I just don't agree COMPARED to other hotels on property and the value. The whole point of this post is "is it worth it" in my opinion no...

I was mainly responding to the “executive suite” claim.., or even any concierge level claim. It’s not uncommon for hotels to be 400-500 per night for standard rooms, in quite a few high tourist coastal areas of Florida.

laben594

i moved from the Poly the same day we arrived...I consider myself easy to please but found the Poly which i thought would be my dream hotel to be a dump!!..strong words i know but thats honestly what i and the rest of my family found!..Staff there were lovely and helped us move to the Beach Club (which was in a different league!...I was so sorry my dream was dashed!

I have to agree. We stayed here in 2014 and it was what you would call a “dump.” Our room looked like it was out of the 70s and it was very dirty and there was blood on the floor. All the public spaces were dirty as well. I will say I am semi open to giving it another chance but my husband really wasn’t a fan. Monorail was broken while we were there too so we paid $560/night for a bloody floor and a broken monorail

crxbrett

Been staying at the Poly since '89 and never stayed anywhere else on all 8 of my subsequent vacations to WDW. For me, YES it's indubitably and without a single doubt, 100% worth it.

Unomas

The Polynesian is the best resort on property. These are my reasons...
1) The best location for transportation. You have direct monorail access to not one, but two of the major theme parks.
2) Food options. The food at the Polynesian is among the best on property. Ohana is a great way to start every single WDW stay at Poly. Captain Cooks is regularly ranked as one of the best counter service options in WDW. Kona is severely underrated and Poly is one of the few places you can get fresh sushi without a reservation.
3) Pools. Aside from Stormalong Bay at Beach Club, The Polynesian has the best pools on property. I'd argue that their quiet pool is better than most feature pools for it's ambiance along. The children splash pad is the most elaborate on property. And who doesn't like sliding down a themed volcano pool?
4) Theme. This might be a matter of taste, but who doesn't love a tropical paradise? The themeing at Poly is impeccable. The ground are lush and lit torches line the walkways at night. No matter what people say about the redesigned lobby, it is gorgeous. Open-aired and opens up in the back to an incredible view of Cinderella Castle dead-center (no other resort can claim this). You definitely feel like you've been transported here.

I could go on why The Polynesian is the best resort on property. But these are the primary talking points that would be difficult to argue with.

Unomas

I have to agree. We stayed here in 2014 and it was what you would call a “dump.” Our room looked like it was out of the 70s and it was very dirty and there was blood on the floor. All the public spaces were dirty as well. I will say I am semi open to giving it another chance but my husband really wasn’t a fan. Monorail was broken while we were there too so we paid $560/night for a bloody floor and a broken monorail

2014 was also right before the refurbishment. And during that time, I'd agree with you. We walked around the resort at that time and I said I'd never pay the money they were asking here. I compared it to an old folks retirement home. Then the refurb happened and when we checked it out, we instantly bought into DVC with Poly as our home resort. It is a massive difference.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom