Is resort hopping allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weretiger15

Original Poster
I'm a DVC member and annual pass holder, I live around 3 hours away from Disney World and once in a while me and family like to take spur of the moment trips just to hang out at the parks. If I have BLT as my home resort can I visit the resort or any other resort to enjoy it? Pool, strolling, shopping, dining?

Phonedave

Actually, I believe DVC members CAN pool hop anywhere except Yacht/Beach Club. Unless that's a perk that was removed.

Not sure about this, but I think pool hopping implies that you are staying at a resort, not just showing up for the day.

tjkraz

Pool hopping is limited to occasions when a DVC member is a registered guest at a DVC resort. Non-guests are not permitted to use Disney resort amenities.

Shopping, dining and browsing is generally permitted, although at certain times it's harder to get past security and into a resort parking lot if not a resort guest.

slappy magoo

I'm a DVC member and annual pass holder, I live around 3 hours away from Disney World and once in a while me and family like to take spur of the moment trips just to hang out at the parks. If I have BLT as my home resort can I visit the resort or any other resort to enjoy it? Pool, strolling, shopping, dining?

DVC members, when staying in a DVC resort, can "pool hop" to any of the other DVC pools except Yacht/Beach Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge (and Villas) and...I BELIEVE...Bay Lake Tower.

When you're a DVC member who lives close enough to take occasional day trips to WDW without having to book a room? Honestly, I'd assume the rule applies that you have to be staying in a DVC resort. However, much like pool hopping amongst all the non-DVC members, it's only ever an issue if they stop to check if you're staying at the resort in question, and they rarely seem to do that, except at the aforementioned pools.

As far as the common grounds of any of the other resorts, they're all up for grabs. Disney would love for you to spend money whenever and wherever possible on their grounds. It'd be kinda creepy if you started walking through the halls where the rooms themselves are if you have no reason to be there, but again, no one ever seems to stop people from doing that. The one exception, in theory, is Bay Lake Tower. The Contemporary is open to the public, but you need a BLT room key to access the tower itself. I say "in theory" because it seems people find it easy to get in if they want to.

Pioneer Hall

Not sure how they could enforce this.

The Yacht and Beach club is really the only place they check daily. However, they have a right to check your room key at any time at a pool. If you can't prove you're staying there then they can ask you to leave.

tjkraz

When you're a DVC member who lives close enough to take occasional day trips to WDW without having to book a room? Honestly, I'd assume the rule applies that you have to be staying in a DVC resort. However, much like pool hopping amongst all the non-DVC members, it's only ever an issue if they stop to check if you're staying at the resort in question, and they rarely seem to do that, except at the aforementioned pools.

Not sure how they could enforce this.

Does Disney's inability to enforce it somehow make it right?

If I shove a candy bar in my pocket at the grocery store, and nobody stops me, does that mean it's OK? :shrug:

goodanu

If I shove a candy bar in my pocket at the grocery store, and nobody stops me, does that mean it's OK? :shrug:

When we purchased DVC last summer on a NON DISNEY trip we were told by our guide that there was no problem with us using a resort pool if we had the time. We spent one evening having dinner at AKL and used the pool that evening without issue.

TJKRAZ,

While I'm sure you are implying here that I encourage every DVC member to start using the pools as they see fit even if they are not staying onsite, I am NOT. Nor do I compare using a DVC pool an equivalent to breaking the law.

Our guide said it was fine for us, so I can only go by what I was told. Again, he may have told us this because of my original post.

tjkraz

Your Guide lied to you, perhaps to help close a sale. Regardless of the reason he/she had no authority to grant permission to use the pool and Disney rules expressly prohibit it.

There is nothing in DVC ownership docs, member handbook or any other written or electronic material which grants DVC owners the right to use resort pools and other amenities (health clubs, tennis courts, etc.) when they are not resort guests.

All pools have signs stating that only resort guests are permitted. Signs like this one:

poolrules.jpg

Or this one:

Pool-Rules-682x1024.jpg

And if you ask at the resort front desk, a manager will certainly reaffirm that facilities are for the use of guests only.

weretiger15

Original Poster
I know I read somewhere on that DVC pool hopping is allowed. I don't think it was limited to any DVC resorts but I did read that if the pool was full you wouldn't be allowed to stay. As for just shopping and dining I guess the only way to find out is to ask and see what happens.

slappy magoo

Although I'm more for following rules than for not, there is a difference between theft of goods and theft of services. Maybe not an ETHICAL difference, but a TANGIBLE difference. You steal a candy bar, you're affecting a business' bottom line by them having to eat the cost of what you've eaten, no matter how small it is.

Granted there still is a small cost involved in someone pool hopping where they shouldn't - after all those towels ain't gonna launder themselves - but you're not walking away WITH something. And who knows, by being there, you may order a drink or snacks or have your kids play in the arcade, you or your wife may buy something into their gift shop, providing money that resort otherwise wouldn't have. True, it's all going to "Disney," but each resort is evaluated for the money they bring in, and if spending an hour in their pool means you improve that resort's bottom line, perhaps management is willing to turn a blind eye, wit the "official no pool hopping policy" to fall back on if it turns out that a busy day is affecting the population at the pool...

Similar arguments are often made for people who crash parties (hey, it's an open bar, someone is bound to be on the wagon so I'm just drinking hat they can't, and those desserts are gonna get thrown out if they're not eaten, etc). Which is also something I wouldn't do, but I hear the argument made. I just wrote in a different thread about a time I was at POR and the pool was so packed I couldn't find a place to sit and relax, and how I would've been the first to get someone thrown out had I known they were not POR guests but I wasn't going to spend my "valuable" vacation time trying to suss that out. And yeah, it bothers me when I find out people are taking for free an amenity I paid to have. But I'm not John Law at Disney, and if they're not going to enforce their policies how can I? I still wouldn't do it, mainly because I'm all about Murphy's Law, and the day I try to pool hop will be the day they start checking IDs. And for that reason, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. But historically, they don't check, except at three resorts, maybe. Sayeth the philosopher, always let your conscience be your guide.

MKCP 1985

death, taxes and pool hopper police.

Three certainties in life.

It doesn't even have to be a pool hopping thread. :hammer:

weretiger15

Original Poster

Funny, I never intended this to be a pool hopping thread, I just wanted to be able to see and experience different resorts, without using the pool.

tjkraz

:hammer: Indeed.

Question asked, question answered. Clearly there is confusion amongst members / guests or there wouldn't be such misunderstanding of policies.

Personally I've been at packed Disney pools too many times to buy into the "oh, nobody is hurt by a few non-guests" line.

I don't expect to change the minds of those who knowingly ignore the rules. But perhaps a little education will improve the experience for some of our fellow guests--those paying hundreds and thousands of dollars for a high-quality experience.

Demeter Tess

Yup, you're welcome to visit other Disney properties for dining, shopping, and sightseeing, but pool-hopping is generally frowned upon. I love visiting the resorts just to take a peek around, though! You can make a great day of walking the MK resort loop (Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Contemporary) with a boat ride over to Wilderness Lodge. Also lovely is the Epcot resort loop. Have fun exploring!

goodanu

Funny, I never intended this to be a pool hopping thread, I just wanted to be able to see and experience different resorts, without using the pool.

You asked for it!! Your OP asked about the pool.

toolsnspools

Yup, you're welcome to visit other Disney properties for dining, shopping, and sightseeing, but pool-hopping is generally frowned upon. I love visiting the resorts just to take a peek around, though! You can make a great day of walking the MK resort loop (Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Contemporary) with a boat ride over to Wilderness Lodge. Also lovely is the Epcot resort loop. Have fun exploring!

We had a lot of fun doing this just a few weeks ago. We were staying off-property, and were wasting a day being lazy. We planned to be at DTD that night, so we went early in the day and got a good parking space, then hopped a boat to OKW, took the bus to the MK gate, rode the monorail to Poly for a look around, then back on the Monorail to MK, and caught a bus to BWV, walked the boardwalk and ate ice cream, and then caught a bus back to DTD. I had never seen OKW, and my Mom had never visited Poly or BWV. It was a great way to waste a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom