Is Photopass worth it..

SJFPKT

We got our 10 day out $50.00 off Photopass e-mail the other day and I was wondering if ya'll think it is worth it to buy it? I haven't been at the park longer than 3 days since they started photopass but since we were going for 8 days I thought it might be worth it this time. Any thoughts?

Philo

We've only ever bought it once (we bought the CD / DVD pack) which was on our honeymoon.

I think the service is great and you can get some amazing pictures but I'm not sure we would buy it again as the pictures would be very similar (we always have pictures taken, just in case though).

I took surfing lessons at TL during our honeymoon and some of the pictures from that are incredible, the photographers really did do an amazing job, it's just a shame I was falling off most of the time!

For $50, I would probably go for it. Just make sure that you make the most of it, get the pictures you want, have fun with them and be sure to plan some time towards the end of the holiday to visit a photo station so you can go through the pics.

Upvote 0

marcriss

If you take the time to stop and have some pictures taken it's definitely worth it. We never took the time before our last trip. All of a sudden my husband decides the kids are going to take a good picture for our xmas cards (he didn't know that we wouldn't be able to use it because of copyright issues or time if we bought the cd). Long story short we wound up with 25-30 pics without it ever being a hassle. The price of individual shots is rather ridiculous, and if you buy the cd you own the pics and the right to use them. You can also add as many borders, etc. that you want, keeping a clean original. You get everything for the flat fee, doesn't matter how many pictures you take. So for $50 I would say absolutely yes. It's also a great way to get a group shot taken and also enjoy some moments that you might not be able to enjoy while trying to take your own pics.

Upvote 0

sbkline

Just to clarify, did he say $50, or $50 OFF? I took his post to mean $50 off the original price which, if I understand the current price correctly, would come up to around $100.

Upvote 0

sissa216

If they're quality pictures, then $100 is a good deal. If they're not, than no amount of money is worth it :shrug:

We had a great experience with it, then an awful one.
Two years ago we bought it and had fabulous pictures (and the borders were really cute).

This past year we bought it again (and took tons of pictures to get our money's worth). Almost every single one of the photographers was bored, and most didn't even say one word or respond to our greetings.
The pictures reflected this- they were terrible. Just terrible. Awful composition, out of focus, etc. And the night shots- even worse. Either completely blown out or extremely dark, and all of them out of focus.

The good news is that you can get a refund if you decide after your vacation that you don't like the pictures. You can pre-purchase it at the discount now, take as many pictures as you wish, and then check them out once you're home.

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

As long as you make sure to really take advantage of the photopass oppotunites and get alot of pictures then yes, I think it is very well worth it. We do it every year and I believe I had around 250 pictures on mine before editing to add borders etc. They always catch some shots that I don't with characters and it is the only time that our whole family is in the pictures. If you prepay for the cd you are more likely to stop at those photopass spots and get snapped too, or least we do. :wave:

Upvote 0

redfive13

I always use it but I don't always buy the pics. If I find a good one I will keep it.

I agree. We usually take a ton of Photopass pictures, but only ever buy 1 or 2 of them...

I'd skip it and figure out what to do after you see the pics. You may not even love any of the pics they take... :shrug:

Upvote 0

UberMouse

We always get the photopass CD, and usually have at least 160 quality photos on the disk. IMO it is very well worth it, especially since my wife and I usually go alone and if we did not do the PP then there would hardly be any pictures of us together. Plus as they add more ride photos to PP it will be even more worth it. Right now I think we are just limited to Test Track iirc. If you are unsure, just get a PP and have a bunch of pictures taken, then if you think it is worth it then buy the CD on your last day. It may be a bit more, I can't remember.

-Jeff

Upvote 0

stitchsMom

We pre-order the cd every year. Yes, there are some pictures that are terrible -- not every photographer is that great -- but the ones that are... well it makes up for it. There are some things you can't get without photopass, like the "magic" pictures where you are holding Tink in your hands at the MK, or baby Simba at AK. Aside from that being able to add the special disney borders is nice too. The CD gives you the copyright release, we had no problem getting any of our pictures reprinted at Walmart and Walgreens (which bypasses having to pay the expensive print price that Disney charges). For $50 it is worth the time and money in our opinion

Upvote 0

UberMouse

Also, and I am not sure if this is in any other resorts yet, but if you stay at the Contemporary you can use their in room computers to view your pictures and edit them every as soon as they are uploaded from the parks. Or if you bring your own notebook you can do this too if you get in room WiFi, or have a mobile tethering device.

-Jeff

Upvote 0

sissa216

Also, and I am not sure if this is in any other resorts yet, but if you stay at the Contemporary you can use their in room computers to view your pictures and edit them every as soon as they are uploaded from the parks. Or if you bring your own notebook you can do this too if you get in room WiFi, or have a mobile tethering device.

-Jeff

I think they got rid of the computers.

Like I said, we've had two extremely different experiences, so your experience may be one or the other, or anywhere in between.

One year it was amazing, and we ended up with over a hundred shots I was very happy with. We took more, but a large percent of them were very very good, and I loved the majority of them.
The next year, exactly the opposite, unfortunately.

But since they offer refunds, and the discount (making it $100, not the $50 some are understanding) is only good before your trip- than the best thing to do is go for it, take as many pics as possible, and see how happy you are after your trip.

The way I figured it, if I found about 6 pictures worth printing- at Disney's prices per print- then it makes up for it. (unfortunately this past time, out of over 200, we didn't even find 6.)

Upvote 0

Disney05

I always try to get as many pictures on our Photopass as I can. We usually only order one maybe two pictures after all that. :shrug: $12.95 for one 5 x 7 is a bit steep. We have never gotten the cd, but maybe we should. Most, not all, photographers also used my camera to take the same picture which was nice. Last year one photographer had issues with the camera. When I got home and logged on to the Photopass site, those pictures were missing. I did email Disney, there might have even been a form I filled out on line I can't remember, to recover lost pictures. They need as much detail as possible. But they could not find mine.

Upvote 0

mouselvrmom

We like to do photopass and usually order the cd in advance. We try to take advantage of each opportunity along the way. We also try to get multiple shots on different days etc. That way if one photographer was having a bad day, you may have a chance of getting a better picture.

We also like to try to take advantage of the special pictures that they offer. I think those are my favorite pictures of any of our photopass pictures. They usually turn out pretty well too. I have great pics of my kids fighting Captain Hook, sitting with Stitch, cradling Simba, amazed at a flying gang etc.

I understand that some people have had a bad experience, thankfully we haven't had one yet. And like other posters have stated, there is a money back guarantee if none of the pictures turn out, so you really have nothing to lose.

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

It can be worth it. I did the Photopass CD once, and for that trip it was worth it. We really had to seek out photopass photographers. We spent a lot of time making sure we got pictures. We asked for all the "special" shots, and did a few poses at each spot. We also waited in line with almost every character we saw - some had photographers, some didn't. On that trip, we made sure we had time to do this. Other trips where we were concentrated on getting from ride to ride, and not so much on pictures, it wouldn't have been worth it.

So basically, if you buy it, just make sure you take advantage of it! :)

Upvote 0

disneycouple07

That's a great deal. I hope I get the same discount email closer to our trip. We've always bought the pictures that we liked. This year I will make a point to take numerous pictures with every photographer. Be sure to look at the park maps, it will tell you where the photopass photographers are.

Upvote 0

UberMouse

I think they got rid of the computers.

Like I said, we've had two extremely different experiences, so your experience may be one or the other, or anywhere in between.

One year it was amazing, and we ended up with over a hundred shots I was very happy with. We took more, but a large percent of them were very very good, and I loved the majority of them.
The next year, exactly the opposite, unfortunately.

But since they offer refunds, and the discount (making it $100, not the $50 some are understanding) is only good before your trip- than the best thing to do is go for it, take as many pics as possible, and see how happy you are after your trip.

The way I figured it, if I found about 6 pictures worth printing- at Disney's prices per print- then it makes up for it. (unfortunately this past time, out of over 200, we didn't even find 6.)

That stinks if they got rid of them, We were just there in May, 2009 and they had them.

-Jeff

Upvote 0

Dwarful

We are 10 days out and I didn't get a photo pass email. I did register the card we got in our packet. I guess I'll be calling tomorrow after work. With the Flower & Garden Festival going on we plan on doing lots of photos. Planned on getting our Christmas photos done here.

Upvote 0

yankspy

I would say yes. There are so many cool things you can do with the photos afterwards. We got coffee mugs, calendars, and Christmas ornaments with some of the pics on them.

I like to take my own shots of landscapes, etc. but we use the photopass for all the shots of the family standing in front of the castle and whatnot.

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

We have used the photo pass for many trips to the World. This last trip in February we decided against it. Seeking out a CM to take the pictures, waiting because the CM is busy taking someone elses, the time spent getting the pictures done, many weren't that great when we looked at them later not to mention the price if you want one or two or the CD itself and so we just decided not to. At the Character meet and greets the CMs will gladly take pictures on your camera and so we do that now if we want family photos. No cost there and some of them have been excellent! It's all a matter of choice of course.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom