Is Mainstreet becoming to Modern and Mainstream

rictusred

Original Poster
First off let me start off by saying I love Magic Kingdom and understand that everything must change.But, In January (my 5th trip in 5 years) I got my childrens mouse ears engraved with there names like I alway do at the Hat store at the front of the park. I was disappointed to see that the CM's no longer do this by hand. :shrug:

This immediatly bummed me out and made me realize that almost all of mainstreet USA is truly gone for ever. the great artifacts of a yesteryear and little charms of days gone by have been slowly replaced and almost entirely gone. in there place elongated store selling the same stuff you can now buy at World of Disney in DD.

Lucky for me the Barbershop is still there and My son was able to get his first haircut there. That is one of the last few special hidden gems on Mainstreet.although there is nothing we can do to change what has been done I just wanted to see who agreed with me about this.

Rictusred

rictusred

Original Poster
The link I sent above is what I remember from when I was a kid which I believe. is way more magical then the walkthrough store that is Mainstreet USA now. I guess my point is missed. or people have got so used to consumerism taking over the parks that they just don't see it anymore and would trade quaintness and history for moderness and storefronts. In the 16times I've been there it seems to me that one more remenant is removed for quickness of the sale which makes me sad. One mans dream is being replace by one company's quota.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Main St Mall is the best term for it; it`s a shadow if its once interesting former self. The Emporium extension was the last straw.

yankspy

I'm Not just referring to the last 5 years. I'm more talking about over the life of the park.
here is a good list of examples I know some are outdated but still relevant
http://www.omniluxe.net/wyw/msusa.htm

Yes, I know what you are referring to. It seems like every store you walk into now is pushing stitch dolls. Yes there was a time when you had a Camera shop, House of magic, Tobacconist, the Smucker's store, a firehouse that did not sell stuff, The cinema that did not sell stuff, a great attraction, a great restaurant, and nice little side streets filled with flowers.:)

rsoxguy

I'm Not just referring to the last 5 years. I'm more talking about over the life of the park.
here is a good list of examples I know some are outdated but still relevant
http://www.omniluxe.net/wyw/msusa.htm

The photos on that website help me to see what you mean. I'm afraid that I've gone there so often that I forget about what once was. Main Street remains one of my favorite sites at WDW, but it has become more of a commercial center than an attraction.

Captain Hank

I was happy to discover that the party line phone that was originally in the Market House has been relocated to the Chappeau. Unfortunately, it's right across the room from some not-very-well-concealed high tech embroidery machines.

Disappointing to hear about the hats... we were there in 12/07 and specifically went there to get the kids hats to have them hand-stitched Was hoping that one location would remain that way. :(

mcjaco

What used to be there before the emporium?

It's always been the Emporium.

I think what Martin means, is the the whole thing has turned into a mall of Disney stuff you can buy anywhere. In olden times :)lol:), each store had it's own character, with very specific merchandise. Stuff you could only buy at that particular store.

Captain Hank

It's always been the Emporium.

I think what Martin means, is the the whole thing has turned into a mall of Disney stuff you can buy anywhere. In olden times :)lol:), each store had it's own character, with very specific merchandise. Stuff you could only buy at that particular store.
Actually, the Emporium is now significantly larger than it once was. It swallowed up the west end of Center Street, taking a couple of stores and the original Barber Shop with it.

Dayma

I think that Mainstreet lost some luster when all the shops pretty much sell the same things. I wish they had more unique items per store. This is the same problem at the Studio.

rictusred

Original Poster
I don't mind the embroidary machines they are progress! And there a great big beautiful tommorow!

THis is what I'm talking about Progress is not what Mainstreet USA was supposed to represent it was always supposed to be a look back at the good old days. the Hat machines were not put in to show progress they were put in so they could have one person do the job of four by taking the necessary skill of hand stitching away.

coasterphil

Forget about seeing someone icing a cake on Main Street now. They needed that space for more cash registers, so just shut up and get your lame nostalgic a** in line for dry sugar cookies. Ick.

I burst into laughter when I read this on the linked site.

Bug715

I don't mind the embroidary machines they are progress! And there a great big beautiful tommorow!

Disappointing to hear about the hats... we were there in 12/07 and specifically went there to get the kids hats to have them hand-stitched Was hoping that one location would remain that way. :(

I don't mind the new machines as long as they would've kept some of the old ones. I worked in the Chapeau some and most of us were really sad when the announcement was made that the hand machines were going away. The computerized ones just don't look the same plus there isn't that personal touch that made every hat a little bit different. I had the urge to smash the new machine when I found it backstage but didn't think it would be a good idea.

I was there last March on the opening of the new Chapeau and was really sad to see the changes. I'm glad they made it bigger because it could get crowded but really hate that all the old machines are gone. Sadly this is the only change I remember being made on Main Street (other than getting rid of the VMK cinema) since I only went every other year until '07 and my mom took pictures of people not places.

Chape19714

Well, here's the thing with the hats. People used to complain that getting names in hats took too long, and they had to wait in line too long to get it done, I used to hear it all day. Now they put in machines that do the job much quicker (and more precisely), and people are still complaining. Can't win sometimes.

Is Main Street a Mall...yes, but that's what a majority of the guests wanted. Most guests don't care about individual stores, and many of them would rather have World of Disney located at the entrance for all their needs. I don't agree, but that's the way it is.

Former Main Street Merchandise Host.

Bug715

Well, here's the thing with the hats. People used to complain that getting names in hats took too long, and they had to wait in line too long to get it done, I used to hear it all day. Now they put in machines that do the job much quicker (and more precisely), and people are still complaining. Can't win sometimes.

Acutally some of my friends who still work there said that sometimes it takes as long as hand sewing because there are still as many people in line and the machine has to be set up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom