Is It Necessary To Charge For Parking

Should Disney Charge Guests To Park?

• Yes

Votes: 114 67.9%
  • No

Votes: 54 32.1%

• Total voters

disney fan 13

Do you really think it only costs Disney $5/day if you stay longer on property??

These things are not direct tied to costs - they are part of a much larger revenue model.

The notion of 'they should charge relative to what it costs' has no meaning when you are funding a whole universe of facilities, services, infrastructure, and overhead.. much of which you don't direct charge for. The revenue has to come from somewhere..

It should come from your $90 ticket, or your $500 hotel room or your $3 coke from the 50 million people that visit a year...

Botts

The cost of a parking space is actually quite high. In 2002, the average cost per stall was ~$3000 per stall, above ground structure $15,000 and underground ~$27,000. Using nominal inflation, that would be ~$4,000 a stall today, using actual inflation limited to the construction industry it is likely quite a bit more. I know that for a project we just did here in Canada it was easily double that.

Add in the annual cost of the service of probably around ~$750 and costs add up quick. A parking stall at $14 per day has to be used a minimum of 50 days a year to simply recoup operation costs without considering capital at all.

For more info see here: http://www.vtpi.org/tca/tca0504.pdf

Parking lots aren't cheap to operate, and I as a guest who stays at a Disney Resort and uses Magical Express would rather see my Park Hopper fees go towards the park vs subsidizing someone else's parking. This also can encourage transit usage which is good from a environmental perspective as well.

Finally, the parking fees are probably the last piece of a transportation puzzle designed to get people to stay in WDW Resorts. On a 7-day (in Park) trip, one can save$98 dollars in parking, add in the free Magical Express, and one saves $66 for 2 PAX instead over using a shuttle, or even more if one had originally planned on renting a car or taking a taxi.

This ~$150 savings for 2 PAX would be enough to make me want to stay at a WDW Resort Hotel. If I had kids, or a larger party, the savings would be even more on the shuttle. This doesn't even consider the added convenience of using Disney's transportation methods, such as the resort->park buses, monorails, or boats. The vacation time saved by simply stepping out of the lobby and into a bus or a monorail is almost priceless to me.

In closing, I agree that parking fees are necessary to prevent a leaching of Park ticket fees going towards subsidizing parking, and from Disney's perspective if parking fees help get more guests to stay in their resorts, parking fees are even more valuable.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It should come from your $90 ticket, or your $500 hotel room or your $3 coke from the 50 million people that visit a year...

And THOSE prices are predicated on the existence of parking revenues. These things are not isolated... Eventually it all hits the parent group. They are ALREADY intertwined so your comment means we should all just pay higher prices over THERE to avoid paying here.. So short sighted

lazyboy97o

When discussing transportation, this is not limited to just the busses, ferries and monorails. It includes the staff in the parking lot directing you right to an open space. The trams and their crew. The maintenance of the lot itself. Security. And even the roads that allow you to bring your car to the parks.

While it is less of an issue in the more remote Walt Disney World, the fees also limit the parking lot to those who intend to use them for the parks themselves.

I also think there would be a lot of benefit to breaking American expectations of ample and cheap parking.

Skipper Dan

I'm going to get killed for sayin' this, but... if I'm ever just poppin' in for a day at the parks, if I'm in the area, I just pull right into the Coronado Springs, tell the little security guard I'm goin' to eat at the Pepper Market, maybe shop, pull right into my little parkin' space, and hop on me a bus. :wave:

Don't kill me y'all... :zipit: :lol: :lookaroun

Kobe!!

Original Poster
I don't think they are.....
They are, I've driven them. :brick:
True. I mean do you think the transportation from the airport is not included in your room already..

When discussing transportation, this is not limited to just the busses, ferries and monorails. It includes the staff in the parking lot directing you right to an open space. The trams and their crew. The maintenance of the lot itself. Security. And even the roads that allow you to bring your car to the parks.

While it is less of an issue in the more remote Walt Disney World, the fees also limit the parking lot to those who intend to use them for the parks themselves.

I also think there would be a lot of benefit to breaking American expectations of ample and cheap parking.

These are all attraction roles minus security and the people that collect the money at the gates as you enter the lot.

AswaySuller

I'm going to get killed for sayin' this, but... if I'm ever just poppin' in for a day at the parks, if I'm in the area, I just pull right into the Coronado Springs, tell the little security guard I'm goin' to eat at the Pepper Market, maybe shop, pull right into my little parkin' space, and hop on me a bus. :wave:

I did think this too....

But for some reason I can't cheat Disney lol I'd feel too guilty!

If it was sea world I'd do it no problem....

Am I weird for that?

Also I agree there should be a parking permit you can buy discounted if you stay for more than say 4 days...l

Why don't people visiting the water parks have to pay? It's the same infrastructure.

Disneykidder

You have to pay to park everywhere. Mets game, streets of NYC, Hershey Park, to name but a few places. Disney is just rolling with the punches. $15 may be a little extreme per day, especially if you're going for a five day trip. Maybe Disney can offer a weekly pass or something to cut the cost a bit?

googilycub

They are, I've driven them. :brick:

According to David Koening's book Realityland, the Magic Kingdom opened using a tractor style tram for parking lot transportation. They were built at the United Tractor factory in Chesterton, IN. They did not do so well and were replaced by the style we see today. The United tractors were sent to Burbank to be used as utility tractors. Are you saying that Mr Koening is wrong, and those United Tractors are still earning their keep hauling people to the TTC?

captainkidd

You shouldn't feel guilty about cheating the system for not paying to park. You should feel guilty about taking a parking space at a resort that you're not paying to stay at.

It amazes me how cheap people are. You're willing to pop in and drop $80 on a ticket, but not $14 to park your car.

captainkidd

Also I agree there should be a parking permit you can buy discounted if you stay for more than say 4 days...l

If you stay on-site, you don't pay anything to park.

If you want to play, you gotta pay. You're paying a premium to stay on site. If you don't want to pay that premium, you don't get the perks. It's as simple as that.

I think it is a draw to not have to pay for parking if you are a Resort guest, so if you did not that would be one thing less to distinguish the value of being a Resort guest...

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think it is a draw to not have to pay for parking if you are a Resort guest, so if you did not that would be one thing less to distinguish the value of being a Resort guest...

Exactly.. pricing is all part of a larger revenue model.. intended to both collect the money needed and influence buyer behaviors.

WDW is an integrated business, and that's the advantage of it, it can pick and chose where it wants to charge people as long as the total receipts get the revenues where they want them.

Polydweller

You shouldn't feel guilty about cheating the system for not paying to park. You should feel guilty about taking a parking space at a resort that you're not paying to stay at.

Exactly. It's not about the money it's about courtesy.People staying at the resort have really no other option about where to park. Try coming back to your resort to find no place to park because non-resort guests saving $14 have taken all the spots and you'll know what i mean.

But the non-resort guest does have options since they are going to go back to their hotel or home at night. They can choose to park where they should or to inconvenience hotel guests. So non-resort guests parking at the resort are simply making things more difficult for the person staying there and that is definitely not cool.

Skipper Dan

It amazes me how cheap people are. You're willing to pop in and drop $80 on a ticket, but not $14 to park your car.

hahaha, actually, I'm willing to drop in for 'nothing', as I'm willing to drop $500.00 for an AP. :wave: :cool:

... plus, I always stay on property, and if I'm just 'popping in', I like to feel as if I'm on an actual vacation, and ride the busses. :D

Skipper Dan

OH! And as far as me being cheap, wait- BUH-HAHAHA!!!! Sorry, okay I'm good. You obviously don't know me at all.

Anyway, I just like to escape into, and be immersed by the magic, which - in my personal opinion - includes the bus rides. Also, I'm one of those people who could just go to Disney fro a day, eat, and shop at the Resorts, and be content. My mother found out she was pregnant with my at Epcot, and I've been back every year since. I've been to the parks. My enjoyment now, is taking people that have never been. I personally could go, walk around the resorts and Downtown Disney, and be satisfied. Although, I wouldn't not go into the parks... duh. But yeah, I just like the experience of the buses, and hearing 'you'll be home soon.'

:cool: :wave:

DisneySaint

Charging for parking is good business, so of course they should charge and they should charge as much as people are willing to pay.

captainkidd

hahaha, actually, I'm willing to drop in for 'nothing', as I'm willing to drop $500.00 for an AP. :wave: :cool:

... plus, I always stay on property, and if I'm just 'popping in', I like to feel as if I'm on an actual vacation, and ride the busses. :D

If you're an AP holder, then parking is free, so that excuse doesn't fly.

If you want to feel like you're on vacation, then park at whatever park you want and take a bus ride to a resort. No reason to take another guests parking spot.

star1991

haven't tried this but...

First off, I haven't ever done either of these evasive parking tactics so please don't be upset. I stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort last year and I have to tell you that there were always more open parking spaces and many entirely vacant lots during the day especially but also late at night. I find it hard to believe that you people are ed about "full" lots. The lots AT the park usually suck WAY worse. I pay thousands to have a timeshare off property and when I stay there I still pay for an expensive ticket to get into WDW, so what's the big deal with not wanting to pay $14 x my 10 day stay? :shrug:
Haven't done this one but why don't you just go park at DOWNTOWN DISNEY, and ride the busses for free?? :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom