Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As impressed as I was by how the Avatar property was seamlessly integrated into AK's themes, I really don't see how Indy could fit into the park's thesis without serious re-jiggering. Animals in the films (I'm not including supplementary books of dubious canon) are generally either transportation or mindlessly-swarming obstacles to be avoided/defeated (snakes, bugs, bats, Nazi monkeys). It makes for a fun cinematic adventure, but it's pretty much the opposite of AK's more reverent and educational approach.

I presume an Indy ride would tell a new story (an adventure with a paleontologist, a lost land, saving an endangered or though extinct animal) rather than a 'book report' of one of the movies.

Sir_Cliff

If you traveled to South America, how outside the realm of possibility would it be to encounter an archaeologist in the wild if you just so happen to be poking around an Aztec pyramid?
Pretty far outside the realm of possibility seeing as the Aztec and also the Maya civilisations were in North and Central America.

I know, I know! ;)

I see your point, though, particularly if they build a "Latin America" area or go with an Inca theme. I also agree an Indiana Jones ride wouldn't be immediately jarring in the context of AK, but I would be disappointed to see the park just become essentially a giant Adventureland theme park based on "exotic" locales. They could, though, fairly easily make an IJ ride plausible by setting it in a temple dedicated either to a real animal or perhaps something like the Mesoamerican plumed serpent god Quetzalcoátl. In that instance, the ride actually would fit very well as it would explore humans' fascination with real and mythical creatures over the millennia... at least in theory.

larandtra

Animal Kingdom is a park about life and animals. Humans are animals and Archaeology and Anthropology are very important parts of Animal and life sciences. Therefore, an area based on a character who is all about unlocking mysteries of the past which involve human cultures, myths, legends, and other such things, and done in areas like Napal, rainforests, etc, actually does fit with the DAK theme.

peter11435

Animal Kingdom is a park about life and animals. Humans are animals and Archaeology and Anthropology are very important parts of Animal and life sciences. Therefore, an area based on a character who is all about unlocking mysteries of the past which involve human cultures, myths, legends, and other such things, and done in areas like Napal, rainforests, etc, actually does fit with the DAK theme.
I have to respectfully disagree.

splash1988

I have to respectfully agree

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If you use a different definition of the term that does not relate the core concepts of themed entertainment, then sure.
Explain how a land in which every ride, show, food venue and pathway is named and styled after a Pixar movie or character is not a "Pixar-themed land."

lazyboy97o

Explain how a land in which every ride, show, food venue and pathway is named and styled after a Pixar movie or character is not a "Pixar-themed land."
It is not a themed experience but themed decor. It is a theme in the way pictures of the beach make a bathroom “beach themed,” it is not how theme operates within the context of themed entertainment. The connection is in something external, production and ownership, and not within the actual experience itself.

FigmentForver96

It is not a themed experience but themed decor. It is a theme in the way pictures of the beach make a bathroom “beach themed,” it is not how theme operates within the context of themed entertainment. The connection is in something external, production and ownership, and not within the actual experience itself.
God I love you

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom