Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

Rich Brownn

I don't think they do. If so, Disney couldn't do this.

Note that, due to licensing restrictions imposed by the contract with Universal Orlando’s Islands of Adventure, Disney may not advertise Dr. Strange using the Marvel brand name. However, sharp-eyed comics fans will notice some newly installed props in the area referencing Marvel Universe icons such as The Daily Bugle.

I'm not sure Strange would be recognizable without an Avengers tie in. The M&G wasn't all that successful. And again, it would make zero sense at an old run down hotel without a lot on convolutions in story telling. I don't know when the TZ contract is up, but I'd expect that CBS would very much like to keep the name recognition out there. I'd even go as far as to say they'd probably love some reboot-TZ merchandise.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
1) Why the heck would CBS not want to advertise its new show? 2) Universal has the rights to Dr. strange.

I'm not sure Disney wants to promote a rival companies streaming service. TZ will be on CBS All Access. Uni doesn't have Strange. Disney wants a franchise with a Doctor Strange sequel. If you're following it, there's even talk that it's being pushed heavier to greenlight as a replacement for the stalled GotG 3 film. I just don't see the TZ sticking around when Disney has the option to use one of their own properties.

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

How many advertisements and branding tie-ins did you see for Star Trek Discovery? And why would Disney want to promote a rival companies streaming service? Uni doesn't have Strange. Disney wants a franchise with a Doctor Strange sequel. If you're following it, there's even talk that it's being pushed heavier to greenlit as a replacement of sorts for the stalled GotG 3 film. I just don't see the TZ sticking around when Disney has the option to use one of their own properties.
Not discounting about 200 reasons NOT to change it to Strange (the most obvious being no real incentive) the only reason you don't see Trek promoted at a theme park is -- well, there's no real theme park in the US with Star Trek. (You better believe if Paramount still owned the parks, there'd be cross-promo for days).

As for promoting other services, its not beyond Disney to look at $$$. If they get 80% of the merchandise profits, they'll be happy.

TBH, I'd be shocked if Disney decided to change TZ anytime soon. With Strane, Besides the costs and lack of a ROI, the IP could be used elsewhere much better.

Rich Brownn

Strange's solo movie brought in $680 million. And he appeared in an Avengers movie that brought in $2 billion. And there is talk of a solo sequel as well as him appearing in Avengers 4.

He'll be recognized.
As I said without an Avengers tie in. His movie made 1/4 of the Avengers film. I'd say 90% of the people who are not MCU fans probably associate him with The Avengers. But as I pointed out there is no reason logically, thematically or financially for them to retime ToT at this time. Strange would not make it more popular, they already sell tons of ToT merchandise, it wouldn't;t be as easy as slapping on crappy stuff on the outside and adding films to the inside like MB (Remember, MB was a mediocre ToT with a completely different setup.). From a logistical point of view it would require dedicated funds, a significant amount of downtime, a complete redo of interior and exterior (if even possible), reprogramming two entire ride systems with 4 upshots that have screens in different places - and sitting at the end of a 1940s-street. While Disney is known for making illogical decisions they generally just dont throw money away.

MotherOfBirds

Yeah, but a Strange overlay would be hardly touching anything. Outside, the only thing they should do is have the "O" in the sign flicker with Strange's Sanctorum icon. Inside, Strange is the narrator instead of Sterling. The ghosts become guests trapped in the astral plane. Change a few props... done. Might even get WDW to finally fix and randomize all the drop 'profiles.'

thanks i hate it.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's pretty simple - they own the IP.

This indeed. Rides without previous Disney-owned IPs are being demolished and replaced, or, they are getting overlaid with Disney IP.

It's the synergistic imperative. Just like this thread is about an(other) Indy attraction. Why Indy? Owned IP. New movie.

Disney wants that sweet synergy (it all started with a mouse's business man's creator).

What Chapek said about Epcot obviously applies to all of WDW... "to stay true to Epcot’s original vision while making it more timeless, more relevant, more family, and more Disney."

So, it's not if TZ is going, but when, and what IP will replace it. You wanna keep the look of the hotel and the general plot? A time traveling master of the mystic arts will do the trick. Or do you want MB2?

Marc Davis Fan

But we are getting off-topic.

I would still prefer Indy in DHS, but putting it in Adventureland would be a nice addition, assuming they have the space.

I personally would prefer to see IJA in Adventureland over anywhere else, for super controversial reasons that I bet very few people here would agree with:

My reasoning is that Magic Kingdom, for better or for worse, is viewed by the general public as WDW's "main park." As a result, many people go there first, a significant chunk of people go only to that park (to them, it is WDW), and the attractions/experiences there are probably what people remember most often as having been the "Disney" attractions/experiences. Basically, it represents WDW. Therefore, it should represent the absolute best of what Disney has to offer. But strangely, the absolute most impressive experiences at WDW are (arguably!) in the other parks - World Showcase, Pandora, Tower of Terror... (I know this is semi-subjective, Splash and Mansion are wonderful, etc., but you see what I mean). And with Tron being the first real E-ticket at the park since 1992, it needs more in order to stay ahead of Uni's lineup. IJA is a fantastic, tried-and-true attraction that's also very high capacity and can be made to fit well in MK's Adventureland. Plus, an updated/expanded version with additional show scenes and effects would make it even more of a home run.

That said, an Indy land (or mini-land) with a version of IJA and a version of Raging Spirits would be an excellent addition to DHS - especially because it could be a lush jungle with waterfalls and the like, which is a type of environment that DHS lacks. If that were the case, I just hope that at least one or two high-quality mega e-tickets are in the works for MK, to make sure it remans worthy of being "WDW" to so many people...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom