Is Disney really that expensive?

jaklgreen

This is a question I have-----WDW is open 365 days a year 10 hours or more a day-- is it a fair comparison (prices) to compare sports venues or ski resorts or beach resorts prices which are open for a limited amount of time and I would think have to make a profit in that limited time in order to cover expenses?

That would only be an issue in comparison for someone who lives close and can visit whenever they want. But for most people, going to WDW is no different then going to any other entertainment venue. Sporting venues are in no way hurting for money that they need to price gouge as they do, no more then Disney has to. It comes down to how people choose to spend their disposable income and what type of enjoyment they get from it. I wouldn't spend $5 on going to see any sporting event because it does not interest me, so that would be "too expensive" for me. But I will gladly spend thousands of dollars going to WDW because that is what makes me happy. It is no different then people who spend money on purses or buying the new IPhone or getting a new (got to make my manhood bigger) big truck every couple of years, etc. It is all subjective to the individual person on what is "too expensive".

eliza61nyc

This is a question I have-----WDW is open 365 days a year 10 hours or more a day-- is it a fair comparison (prices) to compare sports venues or ski resorts or beach resorts prices which are open for a limited amount of time and I would think have to make a profit in that limited time in order to cover expenses?

I think the whole "location" comparison is not what really determines the price. Any time you have anything that is "in demand" coupled with a "captive audience" you are going to pay premium prices. Staying open X number of days doesn't imo factor into it. Disney is still considered a desirable vacation venue. Gotta love their marketing, they've convinced us that in order to be happy and complete one must visit wdw at least once.

Why are Hamilton theater tickets STILL at least 400 bucks a pop? because it's still the hot item on Broadway. It came out 3 years ago and some seats are still selling at 1500.00 bucks a pop.

Goofyernmost

I think the whole "location" comparison is not what really determines the price. Any time you have anything that is "in demand" coupled with a "captive audience" you are going to pay premium prices. Staying open X number of days doesn't imo factor into it. Disney is still considered a desirable vacation venue. Gotta love their marketing, they've convinced us that in order to be happy and complete one must visit wdw at least once.

Why are Hamilton theater tickets STILL at least 400 bucks a pop? because it's still the hot item on Broadway. It came out 3 years ago and some seats are still selling at 1500.00 bucks a pop.
I think I just mentioned a few weeks ago that Paul McCartney put on a concert here in Raleigh. The seat prices range from $149.00 (which I would assume was across the road from the venue) to $3500.00 per person to be close to the stage. I wouldn't pay that price even if they found a way to bring John and George back to life for one last Beatles Concert. Like it was said, it really depends on what people feel is worth the money, but it is also connected with if they can afford it or not. One is emotional the other is what is physically available to spend.

Disneyfanman

The issue for me isn't a question about value. It's a question of affordability which is a completely different thing. I used to visit Disney World with my family annually and it was always expensive. Today I can afford to visit every 3-4 years. I know people who will never be able to afford a visit, but they aren't going to take their family on a cruise ship either. The cost of Disney has far outpaced the growth in average incomes. There is a larger and larger group of people who simply cannot go. I just paid 2400.00 for a family of 5, for tickets only. That's 3 days of park hoppers. Disney is not a theme park...…It's a resort. I planned a vacation, not day trip.

An interesting observation is that I live in UT (10 hour drive from Disneyland). When I moved here, almost every family that I knew had annual passes to DL and visited 4-5 times a year. That was 10 years ago. Today not a single person that I know has an annual pass. The reason is 100% cost. Nothing else.

I don't blame Disney or resent them for this. They are marketing to and attracting people who go as an "event". People that I know complain about the cost because it used to cost less. At some point I may no longer be able to afford to visit. Somebody else will take my place!

chrisbarry

The issue for me isn't a question about value. It's a question of affordability which is a completely different thing. I used to visit Disney World with my family annually and it was always expensive. Today I can afford to visit every 3-4 years. I know people who will never be able to afford a visit, but they aren't going to take their family on a cruise ship either. The cost of Disney has far outpaced the growth in average incomes. There is a larger and larger group of people who simply cannot go. I just paid 2400.00 for a family of 5, for tickets only. That's 3 days of park hoppers. Disney is not a theme park...…It's a resort. I planned a vacation, not day trip.

An interesting observation is that I live in UT (10 hour drive from Disneyland). When I moved here, almost every family that I knew had annual passes to DL and visited 4-5 times a year. That was 10 years ago. Today not a single person that I know has an annual pass. The reason is 100% cost. Nothing else.

I don't blame Disney or resent them for this. They are marketing to and attracting people who go as an "event". People that I know complain about the cost because it used to cost less. At some point I may no longer be able to afford to visit. Somebody else will take my place!
Those are fair observations indeed. I have a U2 at Nassau Coliseum concert stub from high school that says $16.50 on it. That's a major venue here in NY. Last time I saw U2 a year or so ago it was over $100. Last Dead show I went to was $150. I have dozens of $20 ticket stubs from back in the 80's & 90's. Same with skiing. It's crazy what my family of 5 has to pay to enjoy the outdoor activity that we love so much. Prices have skyrocketed over the years and Disney is no different. My argument has always been though, "No, Disney isn't cheap, but I'm still getting a hell of a lot for my money." I still feel that way and I guess if there ever comes a time when I don't... who am I kidding...I'll still find a way to get there somehow.

chrisbarry

That would only be an issue in comparison for someone who lives close and can visit whenever they want. But for most people, going to WDW is no different then going to any other entertainment venue. Sporting venues are in no way hurting for money that they need to price gouge as they do, no more then Disney has to. It comes down to how people choose to spend their disposable income and what type of enjoyment they get from it. I wouldn't spend $5 on going to see any sporting event because it does not interest me, so that would be "too expensive" for me. But I will gladly spend thousands of dollars going to WDW because that is what makes me happy. It is no different then people who spend money on purses or buying the new IPhone or getting a new (got to make my manhood bigger) big truck every couple of years, etc. It is all subjective to the individual person on what is "too expensive".

Well said. I watch people spending fortunes going to places that I would never even consider going and I'm quite sure they think the same thing about me and my Disney trips, ski vacations and Dead shows.

thomas998

When comparing things like the price of a bottle of water or some food item it isn't a valid comparison because the reality is a food vendor at a stadium is having to cover the overhead for a year's lease based on a limited number of events in a year. When you are talking about the food in WDW it should really just be compared to any high traffic restaurant or fast food place because both are going to have about the same visitor per day.

Disstevefan1

There are many ways to think of this. Room rates on property are higher than off property. Food is more expensive on property than off property.

RScottyL

Is Disney really that expensive?

This week I went to frontier city, the Six flags owned amusement park in Oklahoma. It has roller coasters, a log flume, a white water raft, a “dark ride shooter”. Theming is static mannequins if there is theming on a ride, the roller coasters are short. Its like six flags jr. Now I know what there strategy is for the ticket pricing. Make it expensive enough that you buy a membership or the season pass that gets you free parking and entry into all six flags and subsidiaries and water parks.
But….
IF you a one time sucker visitor.
Here are the costs. (same for all six flags) with none of their marketing discounts
One time entry
Parking
The fast pass equivalent (which is not included in season passes, daily passes, or memberships)
So 129.99 for one single park with no theming no story lines to the rides no other parks. There isn’t an epcot, animal kingdom, Hollywood studios or DCA if you get bored. There are no Restaurants, there is chicken strips, hot dogs or pizza. They do have dole whips though…

Disney with park hopper (which gets substantially cheaper the more days you stay) and yes I know the prices change depending on what day you choose.
109.00 (free fast pass)
60 for park hopper
20 (I think) for parking
So 189.99 for 4 parks that lets be honest are a bajillion times better and sit down restaurants, amazing theming and story telling. And beautiful park like theming.
Remove park hopper (if you are only there for one day, you don’t really need it and there is no equivalent at six flag style parks, and also gets much cheaper the longer you stay)
And you are at 129.00 the EXACT same price as a step up from a state fair.

I know this prob sounds like Disney propaganda.. but Disney kind of ruined this park for me (hadn’t been for 20 years, and was bored in an hour), I then compared prices and I was a bit shocked. And its not just this park... Six flags, Silver dollar City and many others are the exact same way.. no theming... no story.. they are really not competitors but one day tickets are about the same.

I agree!

I am in the same boat, as I live a little south of you, here in the D/FW, Texas area and we have the original Six Flags, which will be celebrating it's 60th later this year.

Once you have been to WDW, Six Flags is nothing compared to it!

ppete1975

Original Poster
I agree!

I am in the same boat, as I live a little south of you, here in the D/FW, Texas area and we have the original Six Flags, which will be celebrating it's 60th later this year.

Once you have been to WDW, Six Flags is nothing compared to it!
Watch this video. It sounds like before six flags, dallas reached out to walt (who didnt care) and knotts (who said he was too old) to build a park. The six flags we have was a last resort...

ppete1975

Original Poster
Thwy should have denied her entry. Shameful.
Disney hack brought to you buy cringe Tiktoks.

I hope disney sees this and changes the policy. A "policy" that im sure was there just to be nice. They should have given her like a generic 5 dollar shirt or a lost and found one and not let her go shopping.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom