Is Disney Pricing themselves out of the Middle Class???

Disneyhead'71

I am a single Dad with custody of 2 teenage daughters, and my ex hasn't paid her child support in 17 months. I have to spend my money wisely. No Disney. We will have to slum it at Cheeca Lodge snorkeling in the Keys. I feel like a bad father.

cn_image_3.size.cheeca-lodge-spa-islamorada-islamorada-florida-103513-4.jpg

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I am a single Dad with custody of 2 teenage daughters, and my ex hasn't paid her child support in 17 months. I have to spend my money wisely. No Disney. We will have to slum it at Cheeca Lodge snorkeling in the Keys. I feel like a bad father.

Thats disgusting, there are open candle flames there man, have you no thoughts of safety? And those sun beds dont look as soft or magical as Disneys either.

HatboxGhost

My wife and I go once a year and even then we have to put a little aside from our paychecks each week just to do that. There is no way we could just come up with the $3500.00 right away. We have to save our butts off. If Disney DOES get more expensive we may have to start going every other year or maybe every third year.

MITCH 112198

We've thought about going on a cruise, but we wouldn't be able to bring our fur babies. That's why we like to RV. You get to sleep in your own bed (no cooties!) and you get to bring the pups (wagging tails to welcome you home every day after a rough day doing 'people stuff'). If we don't do Disney this year, we'll still vacation in the RV, we'll just find another destination. There is a lot of this country that we have yet to explore!

We also RV year round, our favorite Rv park aside from fort wilderness, is Ocean lakes in SC and Cherry Hill in DC

Britt

Dude.....you better be hanging your head in shame! No excuse for that one!!

;)

Nemo14

We have freinds who will be visiting with us next month while we're snowbirding, so I did some checking for them yesterday about theme park tickets.
For roughly $270.00 each, they can get 3 days at U/IoA Park-to-Park with Express Pass, plus 14 days of unlimited visits to Sea World and Busch Gardens.
Or for $299.00 each, they can get 3-day ParkHoppers at WDW.
Hmmmm.... I wonder what they'll choose....

Our family has had to postpone our next trip until 2014 due to the rising cost and horrible economy. We were lucky enough to just visit in October and the majority of the guests there were from other countries. Unfortunately the dollar is weak which makes Disney World very affordable for foreigners keeping the over all attendance up. Not to mention they seem to offer much better incentives for visitors from other countries compared to what they offer U.S. citizens. I have read on this very board about longer length of stay discounted tickets and free dining year round for visitors from England for example. (I don't know that this is a current deal before I get flamed)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Our family has had to postpone our next trip until 2014 due to the rising cost and horrible economy. We were lucky enough to just visit in October and the majority of the guests there were from other countries. Unfortunately the dollar is weak which makes Disney World very affordable for foreigners keeping the over all attendance up. Not to mention they seem to offer much better incentives for visitors from other countries compared to what they offer U.S. citizens. I have read on this very board about longer length of stay discounted tickets and free dining year round for visitors from England for example. (I don't know that this is a current deal before I get flamed)

Oh the deals are always on in one way or another, the problem that many of us UK folk have is that the thieving bastards in government keep whopping on additional taxes for air fare. My flights to the US have gone up 100% in three years, all down to tax, and the $ to the £ is not what it was, so I want value for money. Old parades and vertically challenged punters in fury suits dont do it for me. The characters arent too hot either.

Badger Brent

After 30 plus trips, I'm going to start going the route of smaller local trips around the mid-west. I still love Disney, but enough is enough for our family. I hope Disney reads this, it's at the point NOW for us not to go back to WDW. Between US/IoA surging to the front with Potter 2, Transformers, and possibly LoTR that tells me WDW is not keeping up with them as far as new projects goes. Fantasyland didn't hit the potential it really could have. Carsland appeals to the younger generation (maybe that's what they need, keep the young going). Avatar seems like a long way off and would probably make a trip worthy. Until then, I will keep tabs on progress at the world. Had a trip for our 25th planned, but I think Punta Cana is starting to call our name now......:rolleyes:

Nemo14

After 30 plus trips, I'm going to start going the route of smaller local trips around the mid-west. I still love Disney, but enough is enough for our family. I hope Disney reads this, it's at the point NOW for us not to go back to WDW. Between US/IoA surging to the front with Potter 2, Transformers, and possibly LoTR that tells me WDW is not keeping up with them as far as new projects goes. Fantasyland didn't hit the potential it really could have. Carsland appeals to the younger generation (maybe that's what they need, keep the young going). Avatar seems like a long way off and would probably make a trip worthy. Until then, I will keep tabs on progress at the world. Had a trip for our 25th planned, but I think Punta Cana is starting to call our name now......:rolleyes:

Does this mean no more "altercations"?

MarkTwain

I think it's more that Disney is simply losing interest in Americans as an audience in general. They're far more interested in pursuing international guests whose currency is strong against the dollar. Several Brazilians guests I've talked to have described Disney's prices as downright cheap for them. Why worry if Americans can afford it if you can fill the parks with people who easily can?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Disney is not pricing themselves out of the middle class, but I've said several times before, that I DON'T think its a bad thing for it to be a more premium experience with less guests.

Here is why a theme park is different than a product for example. You can use the general supply/demand curve for merchandise.

Let's take an example.

Say an Iphone costs $400
1,000 people buy it at that price, and there's enough of stock to cover giving everyone an Iphone.

If they drop the price to $200
10,000 might want to buy it at that price, but the stock runs out for a few months and people can't buy one.

Let's now take MK

Say the price of a one day ticket costs $120
30,000 guests visit the park, and everyone can get on most attractions and shops, restaurants with little to no waiting in line and have an overall GREAT experience because of that. The staff is more easily able to maintain attractions and clean up the park that's inevitably less messy.

If the price of a one day ticket costs $70
75,000 guests descend on the park, the lines are very long everywhere, strollers are stacked up like crazy, the streets and restrooms are messy because the cleaning crew cannot keep up with it. The trams and monorails take 15-20 minutes for people to board and most people have a less than magical experience.

------ That is the problem. More people COULD visit WDW with cheaper prices but the experience won't be as good. Also, this isn't like buying a car, people can just save money for a longer time to visit WDW. Like some have said, instead of visiting annually, maybe visit every two years.

Lil Fort

We also RV year round, our favorite Rv park aside from fort wilderness, is Ocean lakes in SC and Cherry Hill in DC
You like the BIG campgrounds! We do too. :) Small campgrounds are nice for a weekend getaway, but it's so nice when you can pull into your campsite and there is so much to do right there that you don't have to leave. I guess that's why we like the Fort so much.

googilycub

Right now I am on my third 10 day, 9 night trip in the last year. I am just a union employee, my wife is a stay at home mom, and I don't feel priced out at all.

sublimesting

You're a terrible father! Look at that water...smooth as glass. Could be glass for all we know. What?!?! Can't afford waves for your kids? And that turquoise blue..... kind of water is that? Certainly not brownish with brain melting ameobas in it I'll tell you that. And that's some sorry snorkelling. I can see plain as day from my desk there are no fish there! Not like at Typhoon Lagoon. Better luck next year, chief.

Alexis

Yes. I've been going to Disney with my parents since I was a child. As I grew up I noticed the price increase and realize how much everything cost, and it breaks my heart that they have to pay that much. But I know they make the effort for me. We also like to stay at a Moderate/Value Resort, but we usually stay at a Universal On site hotel because the food quality is just better. But when you total it all up, it is pricey. The park is ridiculously expensive, we go to the Magic Kingdom and it's almost 300 dollars for 1 day. That doesn't include the food, hotel or anything else. Disney isn't going to make any sort of price changes, because as of now, they're getting away with expensive prices. Until there is a decrease in revenue and guests, then I'm sure that'll get into the discussion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom