Is disney parks and resorts for sale?

PirateFrank

How do you reach that conclusion?

I second this question....when someone says "It's safe to say...." there is an implication that something is self evident....

What exactly is it about one resort that makes It different from the other resorts, with respect to it being sold? Which one? Why?

If there's a basis for this opinion, the poster should spit it out. Otherwise, the poster should be a little more careful with word choice...

Perhaps instead of saying "it's safe to safe..."

He/she should say "I'm pulling this out of my , but..."

Just my humble opinion...too many statements have been taken way out of context both in this thread and the laughing place thread, due to posters applying confirming language without any basis of support or fact.

MerlinTheGoat

I can't see the USA-based parks being sold out to any foreign based company any time soon. I have no evidence to back this up myself, just my own personal opinion on how Disney operates.

tizzo

No issue. "Disney Parks & Resorts" is one entity. If a "the" had been thrown in, then yes there would be an issue. :lookaroun

Maybe the lack of capitalization threw him.

Of course, he misspelled his own handle, which (at the moment) should read "RSoxNo2"... :animwink:

Disday

I think that the "big" announcement yesterday about the executive shuffle within the parks was what everyone was waiting for. That was the reason for the big pow wow at WDW. Isn't it time to end this thread.:)

devoy1701

I think that the "big" announcement yesterday about the executive shuffle within the parks was what everyone was waiting for. That was the reason for the big pow wow at WDW. Isn't it time to end this thread.:)

no it wasn't, and no it isn't over. Disney isn't done with whatever it is they've been doing the past 2 weeks.

JustInTime

I have worked for a certain cell phone company for the past 3 years. It's the same company that has recently been purchased but another massive cell phone company. And I gotta say, the similarities here are scary. There may be some smoke to this fire, but I pray it's not true.

menamechris

I may get clobbered for this, but here it goes -

The more I think about this situation, the more I am passive. At first thought of Parks & Resorts being sold off, I was apalled at the thought. Now after reading through this thread and a few others - I really don't think I would care. Perhaps in the 80's or 90's it would be heartbreaking to think of shares and interest being sold off - like quality would be compromised in some way. But Disney hasn't exactly been doing a bang-up job themselves lately. This has been the decade of cutbacks, fixing past screw-ups, scaling back on Disney celebrations and special "extras", and the list goes on and on.. I don't think we will ever see the "good 'ole days" of the Disney Company again. It is now as corporate as they come. So sell off parks and resorts or don't, I think the result will be shockingly similar either way.

Lee

Adventurer
No he isnt. He is cryogenically frozen and when the day comes when we find a cure for cancer he's going to have an earful to say about modern corporate America.
Good (fictional) book about that called Waking Walt by Larry Pontius.
Sadly...cremation eliminated that possibility.:lol:

devoy1701

That depends if you believe that it is "One Disney" and not individual entities.

not sure if you're making a joke/pun or not. But "Disney Parks and Resorts" is the name of the division within TWDC...so it is indeed one entity in the terms that the OP meant.

flavious27

Since this is mostly hypotheticals nobody can say with certainty. Separately there has also been on and off talk of drastically reducing the size of Walt Disney Imagineering to mostly project managers who outsiurce most of the work a la Universal Creative.

That does not mean that they do not exist and that the Company is not able to make one that works.

The Company could still be the exclusive provider of merchandise and get a cut of sales like is the case with Marvel over at Universal Orlando Resort.

Disney doesn't own universal or ioa, so they have a traditional licensing contract with comcast. Disney having a licensing agreement with a park it owns would make about as much sense as ABC having a licensing agreement with Disney over the ABC Commissary. Disney charging a licensing fee from itself, while also taking a cut of the profits for the parks, well that just sounds impractical.

Where in the hell does this kinda info come from??? I find it amazing if this was such a hush-hush thing and it got leaked then they know who to fire.

They were in the public's view, they can't hide that.

How do you reach that conclusion?

Welcome to the internet, home of conspiracies since 1980.

Epic Epcot

*crawls out of lurker cave*

Eddie mentioned on his thread that the prospect of selling off P&R is a shortsighted one (at least for Disney's sake), using the current situation with TDL and OLC as an example. Disney is only getting a rather small amount of royalties in the current arraignment compared to how much TDL is making annually.

Something I've been thinking about lately is the possibility that the reason why this rumor's making waves over at Glendale and Burbank isn't because a bunch of forum posters uncovered a conspiracy to sell the parks, but rather what started off as a wild rumor has made its way from the internet up the corporate ladder, gaining perceived legitimacy as it moved on up. Times are tough, and rumors about of one of Disney's largest divisions could understandably grip mid level management (and even some members of Disney's upper echelons) in terror. But then again, your guess is probably as good as mine at this point.

prberk

I, for one, would love to see them get busy simply being creative again, and stop playing a shell game of buying and selling assets to "grow their portfolio" or "create synergy," etc., etc.

True growth, as we saw in Pixar over the last 10 years, comes from really good, creative product. Asset sales and "outsourcing" too much are often short-term cash cows but hardly a real investment that pays off with long-term dividends like real creativity and growth of product that people actually want does.

Paul

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom