Is disney parks and resorts for sale?

Kamikaze

I think it is safe to say that one of the Disney resorts will no longer be part of the The Walt Disney Company by the end of the year. :eek:

What do you mean by 'resort'? Like the Disneyland Resort (meaning the entire property) or something like the Boardwalk Resort?

RSoxNo1

Disney doesn't own universal or ioa, so they have a traditional licensing contract with comcast. Disney having a licensing agreement with a park it owns would make about as much sense as ABC having a licensing agreement with Disney over the ABC Commissary. Disney charging a licensing fee from itself, while also taking a cut of the profits for the parks, well that just sounds impractical.

You basically described how Frank McCourt is messing up the Los Angeles Dodgers.

lazyboy97o

Disney doesn't own universal or ioa, so they have a traditional licensing contract with comcast. Disney having a licensing agreement with a park it owns would make about as much sense as ABC having a licensing agreement with Disney over the ABC Commissary. Disney charging a licensing fee from itself, while also taking a cut of the profits for the parks, well that just sounds impractical.
Universal had a licensing deal with Universal Orlando Resort. There are deals in place for all of the international Disney Resorts. No reason one could not be made to work here in the US as well.

*crawls out of lurker cave*

Eddie mentioned on his thread that the prospect of selling off P&R is a shortsighted one (at least for Disney's sake), using the current situation with TDL and OLC as an example. Disney is only getting a rather small amount of royalties in the current arraignment compared to how much TDL is making annually.
And yet, with that experience, Disney has still yet to wholly own an international Resort. The preferred method has been joint ownership, not whole.

bstiles

Original Poster
question for anyone who wants to answer....If things are announced at d23 and disney P&R are sold does the new ownership have to go through with previous plans that were announced?

SeaCastle

question for anyone who wants to answer....If things are announced at d23 and disney P&R are sold does the new ownership have to go through with previous plans that were announced?

Good question, though it wouldn't surprise me if Disney handed off the parks to the Chinese (if that's to whom they are selling the parks) and said "Here ya go...oh and by the way, we promised those fanboys several hundred million dollars worth of capital investment...So long!"

Computer Magic

There is no obligation to go through with any planned upgrades, additions or enchancements.

Krack

Well, there are two obvious answers ...

1. P&R are not being sold (not gonna happen folks), and

2. No, they don't have to follow through with the plans of previous ownership. The current ownership doesn't even follow through with previous plans that they themselves announced (just look at the Pleasure Island debacle as one example); why would new owners be bound by simple promises of a previous owner?

Krack

Because disney gets % share and royalties and new owner foots the bill.

I'll admit, legally it's possible. However, I think there is a less than one percent chance of it happening (on top of the zero percent chance of it being sold in the first place).

bstiles

Original Poster
I would raise that percentage much higher seeing that currently there is roughly 4 possiblities why BoD, Iger, and Staggs where at WDW last week. 3 of which is selling or guaging the selling of this division and 1 to raise stock prices with speculation or a 5th which non of this really happened.

Krack

I would raise that percentage much higher seeing that currently there is roughly 4 possiblities why BoD, Iger, and Staggs where at WDW last week. 3 of which is selling or guaging the selling of this division and 1 to raise stock prices with speculation or a 5th which non of this really happened.

Just curious, what are your four possibilities? Because I can think of about 50 (49 of which are more likely, imo, than "selling the parks and resorts").

biggy H

It wouldn't even need the whole board to show a prospective owner around either, all it would take is for the CEO or someone else to show them around if its needed.

If they wanted to sell the P&R division there is no need for the whole board to visit WDW to do it.

AEfx

First, I can't find any Senior Imagineer that thinks there is anything to this rumor. They laugh when I quote some of the fear that has been expressed here. They claim it's the first they've heard.

Me thinks we have too much time on our hands, and we don't have enough to talk about. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom