Is disney parks and resorts for sale?

stitch2008

No they wouldn't, not without sound confirmation that a deal was actually in the works to the point where price details were being negotiated because it would effect stock prices significantly.

And I must have missed that part about someone on LP claiming to know the price that was offered??? The only time I ever saw numbers come up is when someone with some financial knowledge did some calculations to come up with a number that he thought would need to be offered to make financial sense to TWDC. No one over there has claimed to know what is going on and what price is being offered.

It's the same thing here...I think it's a point that many people seem to be missing. No one yet knows what's going on, but obviously something big went on last week because you don't call the BoD together for nothing...not to discuss the Four Seasons Deal, not to discuss current and future offerings for WDW...remember Steve Jobs is supposedly deathly ill and rarely shows up to Apple events anymore. As it was mentioned over on LP, this meeting was set up in a way to where if an announcement of some sort happened it could have been done so on Friday where it would have received very little limelight and have faded away over the long holiday weekend that most people still haven't returned from.

All of the circumstances lead to the conclusion that something very important to the overall company was being discussed last week...

Jmick...I love your artwork that you drew up for FTM, but a BoD Retreat at WDW....seriously?

Why not? Why can't the board take some time to visit WDW? They own the resort. Why not take a visit? Why not take a look at what's new(Wild Africa Trek), what's being built(FLE, and Art of Animation), and whats coming in the future? :shrug: The meeting at WDW could also have something to do with TDO has miceage says Staggs put the finishing touches on the new Disney Parks exectuive structure late last week.

I'll take Lee's post as confirmation of what "another poster on another site" said.

I take Lee's post as another report that Iger, Staggs, and the board were at WDW. I don't take it as confirming the original story.

jmick71

lets say hypothetically Disney's P&R was sold to an outside company, my major concern would be who would design the rides,attractions and parks, i feel this would be the only thing that would make the parks feel different from what we are used to.

if imagineers continue to do this job, there would not be much difference in the parks IMO

stitch2008

:brick:

That's not what a Board of Directors is.

Let me rephrase that. I'm in a hurry at school. That came out wrong. :brick:

They are they people who are supposed to watching over the activities of the company. So why can't they come and see how things are going? Or like I also said, maybe they were just there on business regarding the new executive structure.

devoy1701

Why not? Why can't the board take some time to visit WDW? They own the resort. Why not take a visit? Why not take a look at what's new(Wild Africa Trek), what's being built(FLE, and Art of Animation), and whats coming in the future? :shrug: The meeting at WDW could also have something to do with TDO has miceage says Staggs put the finishing touches on the new Disney Parks exectuive structure late last week.

I take Lee's post as another report that Iger, Staggs, and the board were at WDW. I don't take it as confirming the original story.

First of...no they do not own the resort....well I guess some of them do...but the shareholders own the resort.

second of all...do you know who is on the TWDC Board of Directors? There are some very important people...I'm talking CEOs, Presidents, Chairmen, and CFOs, COOs of OTHER companies that have very demanding day jobs... All of these people don't just take time out from their jobs to go on a "group retreat" to WDW. If they were all required to be in WDW for something...that something probably effects the entire company, not just WDW.

:brick:

That's not what a Board of Directors is.

I'm starting to worry about how much we think alike in this thread! :lol:
I don't understand why people don't get this about a Board of Directors of a Fortune 500 Multinational Company???

devoy1701

lets say hypothetically Disney's P&R was sold to an outside company, my major concern would be who would design the rides,attractions and parks, i feel this would be the only thing that would make the parks feel different from what we are used to.

if imagineers continue to do this job, there would not be much difference in the parks IMO

Imagineers still design the attractions out in Tokyo...and those are the best attractions on this planet apparently. Oriental Land Co owns a majority share of those theme parks and they are supposedly the best ran, best themed, more emaculant, most efficient parks in P&R.

lazyboy97o

But why would such a meeting be held in such secrecy?

Walt Disney Imagineering is part of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts. They could either be included in a deal or retained by The Walt Disney Company or the could just be shut down. Just as how the division could be spun off, sold, etc. there are also many ways that this could be handled.

Imagineers still design the attractions out in Tokyo...and those are the best attractions on this planet apparently. Oriental Land Co owns a majority share of those theme parks and they are supposedly the best ran, best themed, more emaculant, most efficient parks in P&R.
There is the conception amongst a lot of fans that the OLC Group "gets it" and they do what they do out of some sort of benevolent desire to continue to uphold the standards of Walt Disney, but the reality is that, while some is cultural, how the Tokyo Disney Resort operates is stipulated in contracts. A spun off division or new owner would have to agree to such standards being a part of the licensing contract, but why would somebody subjugate themselves to that when The Walt Disney Company has spent so many years showing how such methods are unnecessary?

njDizFan

Well the whispers and rumours are still churning. Just to be clear, I have no idea if anything if anything is happening. But supposedly after the Prince kicked the tires and decided to balk on any purchase, a large Chinese delegation arrived at WDW and made an offer.

Again, to be clear this is a just a rumor and I, in now way know the validity of this offer.

jmick71

i knew that they still did work for tokyo, i guess what i was asking is if thats how WDW and DL would still run

jmick71

Well the whispers and rumours are still churning. Just to be clear, I have no idea if anything if anything is happening. But supposedly after the Prince kicked the tires and decided to balk on any purchase, a large Chinese delegation arrived at WDW and made an offer.

Again, to be clear this is a just a rumor and I, in now way know the validity of this offer.

where did you here that from

flavious27

It is not the top earning component. Other areas makes more money for the company.

Licensing deals already exist for Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Paris, Hong Kong Disneyland Resort and Shanghai Disney Resort.

Disney owns about half of HLDL, 40% of DLP, and 43% of Shanghai; I doubt they have a traditional licensing agreement in place for those parks.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2011/02/08/disney-q-profit-jumps-networks-parks-strength/

The media and cable networks together bring in more revenue, but it isn't that vastly more. Also, the parks push merch along with the networks needing the parks to promote their programs. The parks is the keystone to the company, and its profits are used to fund other parts of the company. If Disney used that 468 million in first quarter in wdw, we would get the dhs expansion we have been begging for.

mikeanabean

Where in the hell does this kinda info come from??? I find it amazing if this was such a hush-hush thing and it got leaked then they know who to fire.

lazyboy97o

i knew that they still did work for tokyo, i guess what i was asking is if thats how WDW and DL would still run
Since this is mostly hypotheticals nobody can say with certainty. Separately there has also been on and off talk of drastically reducing the size of Walt Disney Imagineering to mostly project managers who outsiurce most of the work a la Universal Creative.

Disney owns about half of HLDL, 40% of DLP, and 43% of Shanghai; I doubt they have a traditional licensing agreement in place for those parks.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2011/02/08/disney-q-profit-jumps-networks-parks-strength/

The media and cable networks together bring in more revenue, but it isn't that vastly more. Also, the parks push merch along with the networks needing the parks to promote their programs. The parks is the keystone to the company, and its profits are used to fund other parts of the company. If Disney used that 468 million in first quarter in wdw, we would get the dhs expansion we have been begging for.
That does not mean that they do not exist and that the Company is not able to make one that works.

The Company could still be the exclusive provider of merchandise and get a cut of sales like is the case with Marvel over at Universal Orlando Resort.

Bender!

Where in the hell does this kinda info come from??? I find it amazing if this was such a hush-hush thing and it got leaked then they know who to fire.

Welcome to the internet, where information can come from anywhere at any time with no validity and people will believe it!

Captain Neo

I think it is safe to say that one of the Disney resorts will no longer be part of the The Walt Disney Company by the end of the year. :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom