Is Disney Losing DVC Members/Contracts due to Covid??

Gonzo1

Well, the DVC monthly dues are a concern for new members. I have asked about why the almost $15 increase in 1 year, and this was PRE-Covid...cannot get a viable answer. Surprising yet disappointing. Beware. Any others with thoughts?

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Well, the DVC monthly dues are a concern for new members. I have asked about why the almost $15 increase in 1 year, and this was PRE-Covid...cannot get a viable answer. Surprising yet disappointing. Beware. Any others with thoughts?
Dues went up substantially for a number of resorts the last 2 years due to Disney moving towards a $15/hr minimum wage for their staff.

nickys

Premium Member
Which resort went up $15 per point in one year, out of interest?

There is a cap on the increase permitted, but it doesn’t include the property tax that is out of Disney’s control. Where there is a massive increase in that, DIsney appeal and have been known to win, meaning a reduction the following year due to the rebate.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Which resort went up $15 per point in one year, out of interest?

There is a cap on the increase permitted, but it doesn’t include the property tax that is out of Disney’s control. Where there is a massive increase in that, DIsney appeal and have been known to win, meaning a reduction the following year due to the rebate.
Well, considering that the highest dues per point is only $10.13 at VB, there cannot be an increase of $15 for any one resort. And that is for all time from the beginning.

imsosarah

But that is not guaranteed. Let's say the economy is so bad that when you put your $1 contract on the market, nobody wants it. DVC is not going to come along and buy it either.

But, you say, SOMEBODY will want a contract for $1. Maybe, maybe not. Hopefully that time never comes, but there are other timeshares out there are are being offered for $1, and they are sitting on the market.

DVC actually does. They have a FROR to keep the values up, it is in their interest to buy it back -even if it is for a lower amount than you want. A traditional timeshare doesn't have the same set up because there are hotel rooms around the world, RCI stuff, etc. Try buying/selling points for under market and see what happens...

nickys

Premium Member
DVC actually does. They have a FROR to keep the values up, it is in their interest to buy it back -even if it is for a lower amount than you want. A traditional timeshare doesn't have the same set up because there are hotel rooms around the world, RCI stuff, etc. Try buying/selling points for under market and see what happens...
Right now thee is no ROFR happening. Points are going for ridiculously low amounts.

CastAStone

Premium Member
If there is a rush of sellers, Disney will not be in a financial position to ROFR enough contracts to prop up prices:

If a drop in prices is caused by excess supply, Disney will be unable to support prices via ROFR, as they simply aren't in a position to buy up a ton of contracts. Anything they buy they need to sell, and they are already offering incentives on 5 sold out resorts as it is, an indication that their demand is already too low. Offering incentives on sold out resorts isn't something they've done in at least 10 years.

CastAStone

Premium Member
Sorry, but I'll never go back to DIS again. Way too many lies and exaggerations to make themselves look good. Take anything said there with a grain of salt, and then throw it away.
You've mentioned that to me before. This is someone quoting the OC database, not bragging about their own contract. Without Disboards ROFR thread the only way to understand what people are paying in real time is the DVCresalemarket average price blog posts and the sparsely used ROFR thread on MO. The OC database is currently about 10 weeks behind the initial contract signing date. It's fine not to believe the people on Disboards but I'm not sure how else to show you anything remotely recent without them.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
You've mentioned that to me before. This is someone quoting the OC database, not bragging about their own contract. Without Disboards ROFR thread the only way to understand what people are paying in real time is the DVCresalemarket average price blog posts and the sparsely used ROFR thread on MO. The OC database is currently about 10 weeks behind the initial contract signing date. It's fine not to believe the people on Disboards but I'm not sure how else to show you anything remotely recent without them.
My issue is that I have been searching the OC Database as well, and can find no evidence of the sales they mention. Maybe I'm just not looking for the right thing.

CastAStone

Premium Member
My other question is where do you even find deals like this? I scour all the regular resale sites, and see nothing like this at all.
The 3 bottom feeders seem to be:
Redweek
Buyatimeshare.com
sellmytimesharenow.com
ebay*
Craigslist

Redweek has some listings where they are a broker and some where they are not. Buy a Timeshare will sell you brokerage services for a fee. Sellmytimesharenow I believe is technically a brokerage but has huge closing costs. Craigslist and eBay obviously no broker. Without a broker you will need to do some extra work. No matter what if you buy something from one of these sites you need a top notch title agency who does escrow and basically everything else. I have been trying for a while to buy DVC this way and it's infuriating, I agreed to a contract last week and the seller just flat out ghosted me (this was before anything was signed or money changed hands so whatever), but if fury winds up eventually saving me 10 grand I'll take it.

Ultimately if you are looking at a site where the broker is working on a commission model they have incentive to keep prices high and inform the seller of the value of their contract. The first 3 sites here work on a charge per sale model where volume matters, so their incentive is to underprice.

*Editing for posterity to note that eBay in most cases will not allow you to pick a title agency which makes the risk ridiculously high.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The 3 bottom feeders seem to be:
Redweek
Buyatimeshare.com
sellmytimesharenow.com
ebay
Craigslist

Redweek has some listings where they are a broker and some where they are not. Buy a Timeshare will sell you brokerage services for a fee. Sellmytimesharenow I believe is technically a brokerage but has huge closing costs. Craigslist and eBay obviously no broker. Without a broker you will need to do some extra work. No matter what if you buy something from one of these sites you need a top notch title agency who does escrow and basically everything else. I have been trying for a while to buy DVC this way and it's infuriating, I agreed to a contract last week and the seller just flat out ghosted me (this was before anything was signed or money changed hands so whatever), but if fury winds up eventually saving me 10 grand I'll take it.

Ultimately if you are looking at a site where the broker is working on a commission model they have incentive to keep prices high and inform the seller of the value of their contract. The first 3 sites here work on a charge per sale model where volume matters, so their incentive is to underprice.
Yeah, I’d never even consider buying from a site like that. Too each their own. Good luck in your search, and I guess that’s why I haven’t seen any of the prices, as I stick to reputable sources only.

CastAStone

Premium Member
Yeah, I’d never even consider buying from a site like that. Too each their own. Good luck in your search, and I guess that’s why I haven’t seen any of the prices, as I stick to reputable sources only.
Thank you, and I totally get that. 99.7% of the time it wouldn't be worth it because Disney would just ROFR the contract. In the OC database I've seen Beach Club contracts that Disney ROFR'd that sold for $77, $78, etc.

To me as long as the only people touching my money are a top drawer title company that I choose, who holds my escrow themselves and who doesn't collect any more than that until after they validate the ownership and sale-ability of the title on the contract, the risk is at a manageable level (basically it's my ~$500 title fee). I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone else though unless they can afford to risk losing money to save money.

correcaminos

Honestly I am just waiting. I think if things continue people will want to unload more. I think end of the year we'll see low prices come in. For now I haven't seen evidence of a lot of crazy deals yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom