Is Coral Reef Really That Bad?

muse1983

Original Poster
I've read so many mixed reviews it's hard to come up with a solid review of Coral Reef. So what are your thoughts? It's been several years since I've been and wanted to take my wife there when we visit in May. Thanks:wave:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It's a place I have tried twice, once on my honeymoon and again with my kids back in May of last year. For me, the food was not worth the price, regardless of the ambiance in which we were eating. :shrug:

But again, mine is only one voice. I've always maintained that something should be tried at least once by everyone, and let them make their own call. Ours is that we won't go back again. Someone else (including you) may feel different. :)

muse1983

Original Poster
It's a place I have tried twice, once on my honeymoon and again with my kids back in May of last year. For me, the food was not worth the price, regardless of the ambiance in which we were eating. :shrug:

But again, mine is only one voice. I've always maintained that something should be tried at least once by everyone, and let them make their own call. Ours is that we won't go back again. Someone else (including you) may feel different. :)

I really wanted to only eat at places we have never been before (we're on the dining plan) but I'm not sure now...we might go back to Via Napoli instead of Coral.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I really wanted to only eat at places we have never been before (we're on the dining plan) but I'm not sure now...we might go back to Via Napoli instead of Coral.

There's a handfull of restaurants we haven't tried yet at WDW overall. Via Napoli is actually one of those we hope to try at some point. But we have also decided on a list of "must dos" for dining. It's all a matter of personal preference and what you enjoy.

Coral Reef just happens to be one of those not on our list. But is all fairness and disclosure, we're also picky when it comes to our seafood. :)

muse1983

Original Poster
There's a handfull of restaurants we haven't tried yet at WDW overall. Via Napoli is actually one of those we hope to try at some point. But we have also decided on a list of "must dos" for dining. It's all a matter of personal preference and what you enjoy.

Coral Reef just happens to be one of those not on our list. But is all fairness and disclosure, we're also picky when it comes to our seafood. :)

Via Napoli is excellent, definitely check it out on your next visit!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Via Napoli is excellent, definitely check it out on your next visit!

We want to. We're just always hesitant about eating pizza in the heat of May in Florida. Hopefully the weather will be a bit more moderate during our next trip, like a nice cooling tropical storm. :D

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I was completely underwhelmed at Coral Reef. The service was bad, the ambiance was ok, and the food was mediocre. Dessert was the best part honestly. Out of the 5 of us who ate there none of us were completely satisfied with our entree. The price was too high for what we got. :shrug:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I was completely underwhelmed at Coral Reef. The service was bad, the ambiance was ok, and the food was mediocre. Dessert was the best part honestly. Out of the 5 of us who ate there none of us were completely satisfied with our entree. The price was too high for what we got. :shrug:

You know, for some reason I seem to recall the dessert being pretty good as well. Although for the life of me I can't remember what I had. :shrug: :)

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
You know, for some reason I seem to recall the dessert being pretty good as well. Although for the life of me I can't remember what I had. :shrug: :)

I remember having a Chocolate Wave and I know at least one other person had the Baileys and JD mousse thing. I think my BIL had the Key Lime mousse. None of us had any complaints about the dessert despite the lackluster entrees.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I remember having a Chocolate Wave and I know at least one other person had the Baileys and JD mousse thing. I think my BIL had the Key Lime mousse. None of us had any complaints about the dessert despite the lackluster entrees.

The Key Lime Mousse. That was it. I remember wanting a "Florida" dessert, and anything Key Lime seemed to fit the bill for me. And my wife and daughter had the Chocolate Wave (big chocolate heads, those two). :lol:

redfive13

We did Coral Reef 2 years ago despite so-so reviews...

And our opinion... its so-so. Not the best, not the worst. The ability to look in the aquarium is cool (if you're seated at a window table). I wouldn't swear it off entirely, just go there knowing it may only be so-so.

Gumpy13

Well I will be the first one that posts a positive review. I haven't been since 2009 but that being said over the years I have visited coral reef around six or seven times. I love the atmosphere and all of my party of 5(and now up to 6 people that last few visits) loved their meals. I think it is for sure worth giving a shot and I plan to go back when we return in september.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

I've eaten at Coral Reef twice. I enjoyed it both times, but not enough to put it high on my list at Epcot. The atmosphere is nice and fun. It would be great as a romantic spot if not for all the kids. But since it can't be romantic, it's just nice and fun. The food was good, but not great. I like seafood was happy with the selection and preparation, but not to the point where I felt "I have to come back here".

Truthfully, the reason I don't go back more is that, at Epcot, there's many choices I like better. Put Coral Reef in MK, where I'm not terribly fond of any table service places, and I'd probably go much more often.

If you've never been, try it. It certainly has a different atmosphere than every other restaurant at WDW because of the tank.

Minnie1976

We just ate at Coral Reef Dec. 27, 2011, and it was delicious. My husband had reservations too because he had read mixed reviews. I just posted last night on the food thread with my pictures. I would take Coral Reef over Via Napolia anytime. Wasn't impressed with the pizza at Via Napolia, but their calamari was delicious.

reptar77

The food is not awesome it's just mediocre. The service can be hit or miss. If you have never eaten there before it is worth doing once. I don't plan on going back until the menu has changed.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We went there in 2010 as a party of six, and all really liked the food, service, and especially, the ambiance. We had a young child (3 or 4, it appeared) at a table nearby that would yell out SHARK every time a dolphin would swim close to the window. No amount of talking by the parents would convince this child that it wasn't a shark. It was hilarious!

That being said, our oldest went with his fiance this past trip in June, and said the food was nowhere near as good and the service was horrible. YMMV.

We have also eaten at Via Napoli numerous times, and have LOVED the pizza every time. Always a hit, and even our picky eater loved it! Highly recommended.

deb4him40

We've been to Coral Reef on three different trips and never had a bad experience. Love the food and always had great service. The only "complaint" I might have is people letting their kids run wild and screaming. We've been seated right by the aquarium wall and been bumped and run into by kids not staying at their table, running up to, and pounding on the glass. But like I said, the food and cast members were always great!

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
We go every year. Its it's "free" then do it...absolutely. If you're paying for it...you might be able to find better value elsewhere. It's still a good meal though.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I've only eaten there once.

View into the aquarium is great.
Food was probably the worst I have had at a Disney table service.
Service was the worst I have had at a Disney table service.
Atmosphere was noisy with kids running all over the place and scrambling to view out of all the aquarium windows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom