Is Coral Reef Really That Bad?

71dsp

And our opinion... its so-so. Not the best, not the worst. The ability to look in the aquarium is cool (if you're seated at a window table). I wouldn't swear it off entirely, just go there knowing it may only be so-so.

This has been our experience as well. We went in 2010 and 2011. We're skipping it on our next trip later this month.

The Incredible Schmulk

We've eaten there a few times, once for dinner and twice for lunch, and I don't think we've ever had a bad meal. I'd go as far as to say that our lunches were actually pretty great.

Unfortunately, as cool as the aquarium is, the ambiance can get a little overwhelming. It's loud, crowded and because it can be a bit of a sensory explosion, kids in the place can run a bit wild.

It's good for the experience, but I'd suggest a first-seating lunch over any other time. You'll have the best time in the place if you can get out of there before the big crowds roll in.

captainkidd

We went once a few years back, and weren't impressed. Far better choices at Epcot. Something about the atmosphere just felt weird to me. Eating fish in an aquarium? Sort of like eating steak on a farm with cows grazing in the background.

The Incredible Schmulk

We went once a few years back, and weren't impressed. Far better choices at Epcot. Something about the atmosphere just felt weird to me. Eating fish in an aquarium? Sort of like eating steak on a farm with cows grazing in the background.
No, I think that's the best part. I love pointing at the fish as they swim by and telling them about how I'm eating their cousin.

If there's grouper on the menu, I'd order it on general principal, just so I can show them what they look like after they've been cooked and covered in sauce.

muse1983

Original Poster
No, I think that's the best part. I love pointing at the fish as they swim by and telling them about how I'm eating their cousin.

If there's grouper on the menu, I'd order it on general principal, just so I can show them what they look like after they've been cooked and covered in sauce.

I killed the Coral Reef reservation 2 days ago and went with Via Napoli again :lol:

Chevross

Seems like it is either a hit or miss with our family; we ate at it in either '07 or '09, not really sure on the year. My father and I enjoyed the food, but my mother and sister didn't really like it all too well. In fact my mother went as far as to vow to never eat there again...but she has a habit of doing that. Anyways, the service was extremely slow and our waiter was uncharismatic to put it nicely. Great scenery though, and I guess it's a matter of personal taste when it comes to the food.

Dinardo

I remember that my son loved the kid's fish entree. I remember a lot of other people's kids hanging around our table because we had a table next to the glass. I remember my entree being good, but I cannot for the life of me remember what I had. I remember the dessert being pretty good. I know I had the Chocolate Wave and my wife had the Bailey's Mousse. As far as the service, I was telling my kids about their choices when the waiter was asking what we wanted - I explained that the "Meaty Macaroni" had spaghetti sauce on top, not cheese. The waiter explained to me that it was actually more like a "Bolognese". I asked him to explain to my kids what that meant. He walked away. He was an arrogant jerk.

Like Blackthidiot says, if it is free - go for it.

disney1077

I was debating on eating here on my next vacation but after reading these reviews I think I will pass on it. As for Via Napoli I ate there on my last vacation and was really dissappointed in the pizza, especially with all the great reviews it had. Also our waitress was horrible we were still eating our fried calamari and she was taking the plate away.

lbrad

DH & I had lunch at Coral Reef in October. We had "splash zone" seats.
We had Ceasar Salad with chicken ... can't really mess that one up. Our server was attentive. We enjoyed our view & food.

Blueskyze

We had dinner at Coral Reef for the first time last week. We were seated one table away from the aquarium, and the aisle beside us was very busy, but we did have a really cool view. I had the Mahi Mahi, which I thought was good, and my husband had the trout, which he said was bland. The dessert was pretty good, and they also brought us glasses of champagne for our anniversary, which was quite yummy. The service was probably the worst we had all week - nothing terrible, just innatentive and not very friendly. It was a fun experience to try once, but I doubt we'll be rushing back. Via Napoli, on the other hand, was our favorite meal of the entire week, and we can't wait to eat there again! :)

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
If you want to go for the atmosphere, and you have never eaten at an aquarium type experience, go. If you want better seafood, go to Long John Silvers.

GoochDSA

CR dropped from our "must-do" list and onto our "won't-do-again-until-there-are-major-changes" list. The food is pretty bland, ther service has been awful, the atmosphere is insane and sitting next to the aquarium went from being a prized seat to a dreaded seat (due to parents not watching their kids, kids not caring about puting their hands all over other peoples tables while they are eating or shouting in those peoples ears back to their parents/siblings and adults who care even less about other people than their kids do).

Besides those things, my dislike for CR comes from knowing what it used to be and knowing what it is now. It has gone from Signature quality to Chef Mickey's quality.

If you want fantastic seafood, go with Flying Fish. Not only do they have great food and service but the Boardwalk area is great to walk around after.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom