Is Carousel of Progress closing?

Should the Carousel of Progress close?

• Total voters

Goofyernmost

COP closing is one of the most persistent rumors on Disney message board going back for many years. Not saying it won't happen, but rumors of this are nothing new, it's just the dates that change.
Agree. I hope it stays, but there's a 0% chance TDO pays to move it. There's probably a bigger chance TDA pays to ship it to DCA before TDO would pay to move it.

They have been trying to close if for years now. As someone previously said, they don't take care of it, they don't promote it, they don't upgrade the AA's, they are just doing whatever maintenance it takes to keep it running somewhat. I don't see a long future for it either, even though I feel it is one of the few that should never be taken out of the Disney lineup. However, since they won't spend an extra nickel on it then necessary, I would think that the chance of them spending the money to move it to another park would be the same as Uncle Orville, getting out of that bathtub.

:D

copcarguyp71

Has anything even been done to TSI in the last 10 years? I don't think so

I don't think so. It is a huge pain in the and time consuming getting to and from the island and it's time has passed. We only went over once and it was a waste of time. Even our DD of 7 at the time was bored with it. Nice piece of real estate that could be better utilized IMO.

afar28

I don't think so. It is a huge pain in the and time consuming getting to and from the island and it's time has passed. We only went over once and it was a waste of time. Even our DD of 7 at the time was bored with it. Nice piece of real estate that could be better utilized IMO.
And they stopped with the Paint Brushes, which was one of the only fun things to do on the island

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Oh Lordy.

No it isn't moving.

Do not trust a google search.

Depending who you ask, it's closing in the medium term or will be taken into the next version of Tomorrowland, like in 1993-4.

So we shouldn't expect it to be added to the American History Smithsonian within the next six months? As was rumored 18 months ago?

Goofyernmost

I think Carousel of Progress originated at Disneyland, didn't it? And wasn't it moved from California to Florida when Disneyland got rid of it to build something else in Tomorrowland there. So if it was moved to EPCOT then it would be the second time this was moved.

Everything with connections to Tomorrowland is fascinating to me because I bet if Walt Disney was still alive he'd be stunned that so much of Tomorrowland is still around and has not been replaced with more innovative things. I think Carousel of Progress was a great attraction in its day...but my family does not enjoy it here in 2012. This is one of those attractions I will go on while my family is off doing the rides that are too intense for me, such as Space Mountain. By the time they are done waiting in line and going on Space Mountain I typically have watched Carousel of Progress...so it's a nice chance for me to sit and relax and watch the little show while they're off being adventurers on the coasters. I admit that sometimes I even enjoy a little nap in Carousel of Progress since it gets so dark in there!

It always felt like an "EPCOT attraction" that got installed in the wrong park by mistake.

CoP originated as a GE Pavilion at the 1964 New York Worlds Fair. Walt Disney Productions was asked to build an attraction for the Fair for GE. That's what he came up with. When the Fair ended it was moved to Disneyland, just like Small World was. At the same time that WDW opened CoP was moved from DL to WDW, with a new theme (now is the time) but still sponsored by GE. While in Disneyland it was located in the building where the current Innovations is housed.

Now to address the "Walt would have scrapped it a long time ago" thought. You know what, you are probably correct and that would have been OK because it didn't represent then what it does today. Walt Disney died in December of 1966, 46 years ago. We wouldn't have any of what we have there today if he hadn't existed. Slowly, they are pushing him and his name out of the scene. Why? Because it is no longer relevant to many people. There are a couple of generations that don't even know who he was! The current purpose of CoP, along with a couple of others, is to maintain that connection. It's not so much nostalgia now as it is a tribute to a man that was able to bring so much happiness to so many people. He shouldn't be forgotten. Part of the legacy that he created should be saved and maintained in working condition, as a way of saying...Thanks Walt, what you did is admired and appreciated. It's like saying, "Trash, Orville and Wilbur's plane, it's outdated, cannot fly and is a joke compared to today's aircraft". Or "Take that first Light-bulb created by Thomas Edison, smash it into pieces and sell it for recycling. LED's make that thing look silly". You get the idea, it is history, it is what started all that we currently see. With so much of our past disappearing to make way for parking garages, do we really want to see it go just because it doesn't pump up ones adrenalin?

They didn't move it to Epcot originally because Epcot didn't exist until 12 years later. Don't even think it had been really seriously thought about at the time. It had only existed in Walt's mind and not in the form that we see today. But you probably already know that! :)

SirLink

Wouldn't an updated CoP be more preferable in Epcot to reinvigorate Innoventions and give the surrounding area of Epcot a much needed makeover?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't want to see it go, but I can understand why it might. If COP is replaced with a new D or E-ticket attraction than I guess I am OK with it. If the building sits vacant that sucks. This is a perfect example of the problem WDW has. Classic rides that a lot of people still love are aging. They cost money to operate and maintain. Fans want new, innovative attractions. If they poor cash into upkeep of existing rides but build nothing new, people will complain. If they build new rides but close exisiting rides to pay for it, people will complain. It's a tough call to make. Mine train is a perfect example. They closed Snow White and are building a new attraction with a similar theme. Even though we are getting the new ride, lots of people are upset about Snow White closing.

copcarguyp71

Wouldn't an updated CoP be more preferable in Epcot to reinvigorate Innoventions and give the surrounding area of Epcot a much needed makeover?

I have been touting doing just that as a centerpiece for a re-opened and renewed WoL pavillion with a new theme centered around technology. Basically taking Innoventions to a whole new level and also bringing Wall-E into the mix to promote and educate about renewable resources.:)

copcarguyp71

More doom and gloom on wdwmagic. Shocker.

I do not see much doom and gloom on this thread. Most people are promoting saving the attraction. With thousands of members there are bound to be some who have unpopular views or ones that differ from others. I fail to see how a freeform discussion with some differing views is doom and gloom. While there are many threads that fall apart quickly this one seems very civil and a good discussion. The WDWForum is not a frothing at the mouth fanboi site so differing opinions are welcome IMO.

BenSmith

Do I want it to close? Not really, But I won't lose any sleep over it. If we are getting an actual futuristic attraction, then I'll be fine. Moving it to Epcot is the best option. It just doesn't feel right in tomorrowland anymore, i'd rather have an innovative attraction in Tomorrowland rather than a nostalgic one(Which is essentially what COP is now)

SirLink

I have been touting doing just that as a centerpiece for a re-opened and renewed WoL pavillion with a new theme centered around technology. Basically taking Innoventions to a whole new level and also bringing Wall-E into the mix to promote and educate about renewable resources.:)

Actually keep it in the center of the park where current Innoventions sit, re-theme WoL to that weather themed pavilion concept that has been sitting around....and keep the 'Toons out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom