Is Carousel of Progress closing?

Should the Carousel of Progress close?

• Total voters

Animaniac93-98

Wouldn't closing a show that can accomodate thousands of people and hour be counterproductive to the whole "let's add to MK's cpacity" initiative?

I'd say only close it if they've got something really good to replace it quickly.

nytimez

I'd say one of these days, the rumors are bound to be true. The good news is, at the rate TDO moves, that day may still be a while off. The bad news? They'll do even less to maintain the show between now and then, so the decay will only get worse.

Disclaimer: This is an opinion, not "inside" info.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Wouldn't closing a show that can accomodate thousands of people and hour be counterproductive to the whole "let's add to MK's cpacity" initiative?

I'd say only close it if they've got something really good to replace it quickly.

It accommodates thousands but how many people actually go in it?

Ok, what the heck is TDO?

Team Disney Orlando, essentially Disney World management.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Oh Lordy.

No it isn't moving.

Do not trust a google search.

Depending who you ask, it's closing in the medium term or will be taken into the next version of Tomorrowland, like in 1993-4.

nytimez

Oh Lordy.

No it isn't moving.

Do not trust a google search.

Depending who you ask, it's closing in the medium term or will be taken into the next version of Tomorrowland, like in 1993-4.

Sure it'll move -- to a place like Mouse Surplus, where Walt's vision will be hacked apart and sold piece by piece. Last I checked, you could still get bits of Horizons, 20K and Toad there.

Patricia Melton

As for my vote, I don't think it should close (saw it for the first time on last visit), but I do think that it should be moved to Epcot, either as part of a new pavilion that included Horizons/Horizons 2.0, or into Innoventions.

I really like the idea of moving this to EPCOT. That's a brilliant idea.

I think Carousel of Progress originated at Disneyland, didn't it? And wasn't it moved from California to Florida when Disneyland got rid of it to build something else in Tomorrowland there. So if it was moved to EPCOT then it would be the second time this was moved.

Everything with connections to Tomorrowland is fascinating to me because I bet if Walt Disney was still alive he'd be stunned that so much of Tomorrowland is still around and has not been replaced with more innovative things. I think Carousel of Progress was a great attraction in its day...but my family does not enjoy it here in 2012. This is one of those attractions I will go on while my family is off doing the rides that are too intense for me, such as Space Mountain. By the time they are done waiting in line and going on Space Mountain I typically have watched Carousel of Progress...so it's a nice chance for me to sit and relax and watch the little show while they're off being adventurers on the coasters. I admit that sometimes I even enjoy a little nap in Carousel of Progress since it gets so dark in there!

This could be a nice attraction for EPCOT, since that park is supposed to be more adult and less thrill-ride. Let the real estate occupied by Carousel of Progress be reclaimed for something more fast-paced. In my opinion, Tomorrowland should be geared for teenagers...a place with high energy that they can be excited about. Get a high-energy ride in there and make Tomorrowland a place that the teens want to gravitate towards.

It always felt like an "EPCOT attraction" that got installed in the wrong park by mistake.

Tigger1988

COP closing is one of the most persistent rumors on Disney message board going back for many years. Not saying it won't happen, but rumors of this are nothing new, it's just the dates that change.
Yup. People have been saying it was going to close "soon" since the late 1990s. I still remember people saying it was done for good after 9/11.

Patricia Melton

I'm not terribly attached to CoP continuing to run at its present location. If TDO wanted to fix Tomorrowland (haha like they would ever do that) and CoP ended up somewhere in Future World or back where Innoventions is not at DL's Tomorrowland, I would not lose a minute of sleep. That being said, it would be very, very disappointing if WALT'S FAVORITE ATTRACTION were to be totally shuttered.

Walt Disney changed things all the time. He was always moving, building, redesigning, changing. He was not a static man.

So, if he was still alive in 2012 I highly doubt that Carousel of Progress would be his favorite attraction today. This wasn't a man who wanted the Disney parks to be museums...but to keep changing and growing. There is a Disney Family Museum for a reason.

I really wonder if one day in the distant future Disney doesn't open a fifth park called "Yesterdayland". I know people joke about this, but every year it seems like there's more stuff that can go in there for all the people who never want WDW or Disneyland to change (despite the fact that Walt wanted them to change with the times and add new things forever). Yesterdayland could be a retro park where extinct attractions could be rebuilt and people could go and pretend it was whatever year they want in there.

This would make a great video game world or virtual reality thing too. Someone should make this.

zooey

If TDO thinks they saw outrage over the bakery and some coffee, they have no idea what they'd have coming if they shuttered CoP. I have no problems with them moving it to Epcot, as that makes alot of sense, actually, but closing it altogether? Everyone start polishing your pitchforks.

Calvin Coolidge

So, if he was still alive in 2012 I highly doubt that Carousel of Progress would be his favorite attraction today. This wasn't a man who wanted the Disney parks to be museums...but to keep changing and growing. There is a Disney Family Museum for a reason.

If that's what you're implying, I'd fully support moving CoP to the Disney Family Museum

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom