Is Carousel of Progress closing?

Should the Carousel of Progress close?

• Total voters

Patricia Melton

I actually like the Yesterdayland idea that the same poster mentioned in their next post. Best of both worlds (although whether or not it would ever actually happen seems to be up in the air).

I doubt they will build a fifth gate in Orlando in my lifetime. My children (in their 30s now) will see a fifth gate when they are grandparents, probably. I will be long dead before a fifth gate happens.

But "Yesterdayland" could be such a fun concept. And maybe TDO would embrace it one day if someone pitched it as a way to keep making money off things now in mothballs. A "Yesterdayland" park would have a very different vibe and target audience to it. It would definitely skew towards older people...so maybe build it with a retirement community around it. I'm not joking about that.

TDO seems obsessed with real estate development, the vacation club thing, and selling homes...so why not build a "Yesterdayland" where older people can go to retire where they can live around all the attractions they remember from when they were younger? It would be kind of like the closest thing to Heaven for a lot of people.

They could even name the nursing home community "Nostalgia, Florida" and have it be one part theme park, one part museum, and one part geriatric care (with a big medical center adjacent, since hospitals make big money and medical conventions are big business).

To build a fifth gate, TDO would need to see a money-making real estate gimmick...and "Nostalgia, Florida" could be it.

the.dreamfinder

But "Yesterdayland" could be such a fun concept. And maybe TDO would embrace it one day if someone pitched it as a way to keep making money off things now in mothballs. A "Yesterdayland" park would have a very different vibe and target audience to it. It would definitely skew towards older people...so maybe build it with a retirement community around it. I'm not joking about that.

The danger in "remember the good old days" is that nostalgia is narcotic and the human brain has a natural tendency to remember the past in much more halcyon, watercolor tones than it ever really existed.

That's the danger of visiting "Yesterdayland" too often.

Patricia Melton

Thanks for proving my point, Dreamfinder.

There's clearly a market for a Yesterdayland park as a place where folks could have all their good old days every day. Built around a retirement community, this fifth gate could be a place where everyone into this stuff could have all their old attractions just the way they remember them.

While this Yesterdayland nostalgia ends up being a bad thing in the MK, EPCOT, and the other existing parks...as the driving force behind a fifth gate it would be perfect.

Brian Noble

We see it most trips, and enjoy it. I keep finding new little tidbits in it.

But, it probably won't last forever, and of all the things in MK that might go away, I can see this one going away before a lot of other things. If you look at The Map, CoP sits in the middle of what could be an awfully nice expansion pad. In the arc between Space and Buzz, you have: the old empty Skyway station/bathrooms, the dance party stage, CoP, and the Tomorrowland theater-turned-parking lot. It's kind of an oddly shaped parcel, though, and the Speedway takes up a good chunk of real estate over there as well...

So, should it close? It depends on what eventually takes its place, I suppose.

montyz81

I doubt they will build a fifth gate in Orlando in my lifetime. My children (in their 30s now) will see a fifth gate when they are grandparents, probably. I will be long dead before a fifth gate happens.

TDO seems obsessed with real estate development, the vacation club thing, and selling homes...so why not build a "Yesterdayland" where older people can go to retire where they can live around all the attractions they remember from when they were younger? It would be kind of like the closest thing to Heaven for a lot of people.

They could even name the nursing home community "Nostalgia, Florida" and have it be one part theme park, one part museum, and one part geriatric care (with a big medical center adjacent, since hospitals make big money and medical conventions are big business).

To build a fifth gate, TDO would need to see a money-making real estate gimmick...and "Nostalgia, Florida" could be it.
Would they build a Horizons in Yesterland? Since its ridership was down when it was closed and it cost a lot to build it, I suspect not!

The Mighty Tim

In the highly unlikely event this "Yesteryear" park was ever built, it had better include Horizons!

EDIT: Just read the post above me. Talk about timing!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

There's clearly a market for a Yesterdayland park as a place where folks could have all their good old days every day. Built around a retirement community, this fifth gate could be a place where everyone into this stuff could have all their old attractions just the way they remember them.

While this Yesterdayland nostalgia ends up being a bad thing in the MK, EPCOT, and the other existing parks...as the driving force behind a fifth gate it would be perfect.

Didn't he actually show that you disproved your own point? In one post you say it's bad, can't be visited too much and is like a narcotic. In another you say let's build a town around it where retired people can visit it regularly. I'm confused.

the.dreamfinder

I agree more with the Nostalgia is a narcotic sentiment. As fans, we often struggle separating the nostalgia of the past while not understanding that what made the parks better back then was QUALITY. It's a waste of time to just rebuild/move carbon copies of old attractions into their own ghetto park.

Wojciehowicz

I think the confusion stems from the fact that the internal web site is showing in big bold red lettering that it is permanently closed. And the calendar for Jan does not show any operating hours.
What is confusing is that it is open and it does show hours of operation for all of Dec., so it's not permanently closed as of now.
It could be just a mistake or a lag in updating the calendar or it could be closing in Jan.

AsanaDisney

WHAAA? seriously. Even the potential and rumors of this happening make me sad. We just finally discovered and fell in love with this attraction on our last trip at the end of May. It was so stinkin' hot out that we went on it at least a couple times every day we were in the MK, entertaining for its nostalgia and the connection to Walt, it would be awful to lose this attraction!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom