is being mickey the top job??

c133125

mkepcotmgmak said:
Just curious as to why you say this? I worked ATT and LOVED IT! A lot of CMs I worked with LIKED it - but i L O V E D it! I wanted Jungle Cruise or Haunted Mansion really bad, and when I found out I got ATT I was a little bummed, but there was SO MUCH "acting" to do there, and a TON of Guest contact!!!

Then I switched to Entertainment, and LOVED it too!

yeah it gets really annoying in the Tiki Room hearing the show 4 times a rotation...as well as constant questions of "where is pirates" or "where is jungle cruise". Or especially the question of "Is this a resturaunt?" regarding the Tiki Room.

b21nhl

mdisney said:
believe it or not one of the top jobs is a CM at the HM.

HM CMs are CPs for the most part. they are just operations cast members. my roomate while being a cp, wanted to transfer to operations just for that. i knew some ToT Cps as well. they are just base line operations roles.

tonganprince

Do characters share costumes? Or do they get there own to wear.

I can imagine with all the sweating going on, sharing sounds nasty!

Anyone know?

Tom

Beta Return
tonganprince said:

Anyone know?

They share. I think they're drycleaned, or washed somehow - but the costumes cost too much for each performer to have their own. Besides, many entertainment CMs will perform as several different characters throughout their shift or week or month - especially if their height category is in the mouse/duck range. I know a girl who this is the case for.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
tonganprince said:

Anyone know?
yes and no...

If a performer is cast/bid into a specific character in the same area for 4 or more days, they can tag a costume for their own use. However, there are costumes for everyone else... you wear your costume for the day, and turn it in to be laundered at the end of the night. You will wear a clean costume every day (well, you're supposed to), so the gross factor isn't really there

drnilescrane

This is along the lines of the Pecking Order theme,

I read somewhere that the characters at the resort that are from the Disney Afternoon, such as Max (My Favorite Disney Character) DWD Launchpad etc, were on the very bottom of the chain. Is this true, are you really looked down upon for portraying Max or Darkwing?

Finally, are they ever going to update the Max costume so he is the right Age? Having him 12 was OK back when Goof Troop was on, but in An Extremely Goofy Movie he was 19, and Older in Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas. I know he isn't in the limelight as much anymore , and I got a very weird look when I finally snapped after being repetedlty told who Max was and explained to Max's Handler that since I was born before 1990 I do know who he was. BUT Considering the New Mickey Mouse Playhouse series coming out, It's think it's time to fix it.

Main Street Jim

"Is this a resturaunt?" regarding the Tiki Room.

Did you know that that was what Walt originally wanted the Tiki Room to be? Marc Davis talked him out of it, because he (Davis) suggested that guests would not leave the restaurant because they couldn't eat and watch the show at the same time; he figured that guests would stay after eating in order to see the entire show. So they scrapped the restaurant idea.

Staying on topic here:

Tink - from what I understand, pays *very well*...
Pyro techs pay pretty good

As far as prestige, though, to me, one of the best jobs is one that I have: Engineer/Conductor on the steam train. There aren't too many steam trains that operate on a DAILY BASIS in this world any more, let alone TWIN locomotives (the Walter and the Roger are identical twins, built by Baldwin side-by-side in 1925). ;)

shakes20

mkt said:
yes and no...

If a performer is cast/bid into a specific character in the same area for 4 or more days, they can tag a costume for their own use. However, there are costumes for everyone else... you wear your costume for the day, and turn it in to be laundered at the end of the night. You will wear a clean costume every day (well, you're supposed to), so the gross factor isn't really there

I heard that characters had to wear Disney underwear, and that they were finally allowed to wear there own just a few years ago! Even assuming that laundry was done every night, that sounds gross!!!:hurl:

WhyteAL

Main Street Jim said:
Staying on topic here:

Tink - from what I understand, pays *very well*...
Pyro techs pay pretty good

You know I was just about to ask the question? What is exactly is the pay rate for characters? and is there like bonus's the more characters you are up to mickey? Would you also be paid better by your different levels (such as yellow/yellow or green/red)? :)

mkepcotmgmak

c133125 said:
yeah it gets really annoying in the Tiki Room hearing the show 4 times a rotation...as well as constant questions of "where is pirates" or "where is jungle cruise". Or especially the question of "Is this a resturaunt?" regarding the Tiki Room.

no, no, no, no! see - that's where you have to take the opportunity to MAKE it fun!

Guests would ask ALL the time to see a menu (at the Tiki Room) and I would sometimes say "we don't have a menu, it's one meal fits all" or, "we mostly serve "corn" or "our birds are great with barbque sauce", etc... play with the Guests! they really aren't dumb, they just don't know! the tiki room does appear to be a restaurant to many!

all of those questions bring great Guest interaction! you just have to have fun with it! try it! it will make your day a LOT better!

Guest: "Where are the Pirates?"
You: PIRATES!!?? WHERE!??

Guest (walking into Tiki theater): "Where is the best spot to sit?"
You: (leaning in to share your secret): Well, every spot is actually a good spot, but watch who you are sitting under, we JUST fed the birds..." then walk away.

Ask kids at the entrance of Aladdin to see their pilot's license.
Ask parents to see their's, and if they say they don't have it, tell them to make sure and let the kids fly then...

the treehouse is GREAT for Guest interaction!

one of my favorites - (to a group of Guests walking by...) "Excuse me ma'am, you dropped your smile" (while pointing to the ground behind them. Usually they will turn around and look for something they've dropped, until their group tells them what's really going on, and laughs WITH them... haha.

Just make the most out of your role! It's all what you put into it!

also - about hearing the show 4 times during rotation - make a game! we used to take a red feather and hide it somewhere within viewing distance from where you sit, and the next CM would try to find it, or start not listening to the show, and memorize all of the non-talking birds songs... haha. that makes no sense, but in my head, it does.:wave:

robynchic

No bonuses for skill level or character. You DO get more pay if you're in a show (i.e. Fantasmic! or Cinderellabration) and as a face character.

Re the costume sharing thing- costumes ARE shared, and if they are put on for even a minute, they are put into the dirty laundry. They try to be VERY sanitary about things, so no, there is no Disney undies.

And regarding heights- the single height with the largest range in characters is 5'0". At that height, if the person is not disapproved in anything, they can be a potential of 61 or 62 characters. Someone that height is on a cusp, so they can be characters in two height ranges.

And while people ENVY character performers, I wouldn't say it's the BEST job out there. I personally envy the people that get to be indoors, in AC, for most of the day.

Other furry friends, do you agree with me?

WDWKat26

Actually, your height range and mine are about equal when it comes to the amount of characters that we can play, Robyn. Personally, I am not picky when it comes to being inside or out...I actually prefer outside sometimes just because the sets are not 45 minutes long.

robynchic

You've got a point with the indoor/outdoor thing. Just let it be a nice, cool 60-70 degrees, and I'd be happy to be outdoors. I just had no idea that your height has as many characters. Are you also on a cusp?

Uponastar

mkepcotmgmak said:
no, no, no, no! see - that's where you have to take the opportunity to MAKE it fun!

Guests would ask ALL the time to see a menu (at the Tiki Room) and I would sometimes say "we don't have a menu, it's one meal fits all" or, "we mostly serve "corn" or "our birds are great with barbque sauce", etc... play with the Guests! they really aren't dumb, they just don't know! the tiki room does appear to be a restaurant to many!

all of those questions bring great Guest interaction! you just have to have fun with it! try it! it will make your day a LOT better!

You: (leaning in to share your secret): Well, every spot is actually a good spot, but watch who you are sitting under, we JUST fed the birds..." then walk away.

Ask parents to see their's, and if they say they don't have it, tell them to make sure and let the kids fly then...

one of my favorites - (to a group of Guests walking by...) "Excuse me ma'am, you dropped your smile" (while pointing to the ground behind them. Usually they will turn around and look for something they've dropped, until their group tells them what's really going on, and laughs WITH them... haha.

also - about hearing the show 4 times during rotation - make a game! we used to take a red feather and hide it somewhere within viewing distance from where you sit, and the next CM would try to find it, or start not listening to the show, and memorize all of the non-talking birds songs... haha. that makes no sense, but in my head, it does.:wave:

Wow! You must be very, very good at what you do!
You are right! Attitude is everything.
You're in the happiest place on earth, so be happy! It rubs off!
Sincere thanks to you and all CMs who go the extra mile to make guests feel special. :)

c133125

mkepcotmgmak said:

ok... dont even get into the whole "you dropped your smile" thing... i bet if anyone else here is a current ATT cast member, they will know why...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom