Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Disstevefan1

What a load of nonsense. I've gone every September 16th for 15 years, and it looked busier this year than ever before. That's way more evidence than whatever his "data" is.
Technically speaking, with the devaluation of the AP with black outs and PPRs, Disney doing anything it can to reduce the number of APers in the park, I guess attendance is technically down.

The parks feel mobbed because staff is cut, operational hours are cut and the lack of capacity and the totally failed Genie+ system.

Lets be clear attendance is technically down but spending per capita is UP, UP, UP!

But I agree with you. Iger is a liar. I wonder if he says attendance is down so folks say, "Hey Disney is saying attendance is down, lets go before its crowded again!"

Last edited:

Tha Realest

Not according to the Touring Plans app. Looks like wait times by actual people in the park is pretty close to what Disney has with Disney generally being about 5-10ish minutes too long which seems right in line with what they have been doing for years with their official posted wait times.

May not be very busy but it doesn't look any more or less inflated than usual.
The DAS policies haven’t gone into effect yet.

LSLS

Not totally sure if serious, so excuse me if not, but I think that’s more a function of vacation habits of the general public having shifted. Periods that were previously slower are now heavier, and periods that were previously heavier (minus certain holidays) are now slower. A greater proportion of the attendance mix is now “Disney adults” who have more or less complete freedom in terms of when they can travel, and even for families with children, fewer have qualms about taking them out of school (or some have schools with nontraditional schedules). Additionally, perceived attendance can definitely be affected by virtual queuing and throttling of attraction capacity.
No its not serious. There were a few on these boards that said their single day opinions based on what they saw (and not even numbers) meant the evidence of attendance down was wrong.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No its not serious. There were a few on these boards that said their single day opinions based on what they saw (and not even numbers) meant the evidence of attendance down was wrong.
It’s baffling…
Why on earth would they keep telling Wall Street that attendance is down if there was anyway to spin it otherwise?
People do understand that it’s a confidence game, right?

Yesterday’s comment by the sweater about “demand softening” is jaw dropping. In the past during recessions they’d admit things were “challenging”…but after the fact.
They NEVER say “things aren’t looking good…” in advance

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
It’s baffling…
Why on earth would they keep telling Wall Street that attendance is down if there was anyway to spin it otherwise?

Yesterday’s comment by the sweater about “demand softening” is jaw dropping. In the past during recessions they’d admit things were “challenging”…but after the fact.
I read that as foreshadowing and a pre-explanation for what’s to come in the next investor call which might not be all magical

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not totally sure if serious, so excuse me if not, but I think that’s more a function of vacation habits of the general public having shifted. Periods that were previously slower are now heavier, and periods that were previously heavier (minus certain holidays) are now slower. A greater proportion of the attendance mix is now “Disney adults” who have more or less complete freedom in terms of when they can travel, and even for families with children, fewer have qualms about taking them out of school (or some have schools with nontraditional schedules). Additionally, perceived attendance can definitely be affected by virtual queuing and throttling of attraction capacity.
…but that doesn’t explain attendance being down in aggregate when overall travel numbers are way up.

Regionals and cruise lines are packing them in.

The only “downs” in 2023 where WDW and URO…
Now there are indications Disneyland is losing steam as well.

It’s the price. Not hard math to do here.

Lilofan

It’s baffling…

So with “ demand softening “, looking like tighter controls in spending so the resorts and parks upkeep and maintenance going to go further downhill ?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So with “ demand softening “, looking like tighter controls in spending so the resorts and parks upkeep and maintenance going to go further downhill ?
That’s how they keep “spending per guest” up in the first place…coupled with damn near weekly price increases.

It’s a paradox…the more you cut and charge, the more people you lose…and the more people you lose…the more you cut and charge

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Bob is preparing for those Q3/Q4 numbers from summer travel.

Disney has been pushing lots of deals that may convince locals to visit... we shall see
Bob tipped his hand that SPRING travel wasn’t very good…which jives 100% with the comments from people round here that know what they’re looking at…not the “I think it’s super crowded…genie says so” group 🙄

It should NOT…be slow in spring…like ever

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney has been pushing lots of deals that may convince locals to visit... we shall see
That will help some…but locals don’t drive spending. It’s ultimate a BB gun at an elephant

They have only one “lever” left to pull that they are resisting…all the other gimmicks aren’t really working…including the old “free dining” gag.

I’d be curious to hear what @PREMiERdrum thinks?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom