Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

erasure fan1

Unfortunately, that has been one of the biggest changes for me. I sang the Disney praise all my life since my first visit in 1972. But now I run the Disney brand into the ground on a very regular basis. I wear my Disney cloths that I accumulated for years, strike up conversation, and then talk about just how far Disney has fallen. Many folks are surprised.
That's the intangible that Disney doesn't seem to get. We, like many others, were embassadors to Disney. Now I can't really recommend it. I would defend Disney when people said it's too expensive.... I would talk about the value you could get and why it was worth the cost. I'm just one person, but it sure seems, people like us our growing everyday. As you lose these loyal fans you also lose the tens of thousands of people they would have interacted with pushing your product, for free. Instead, you get a snowball effect of people actively discouraging people from going. It might not seem that big of a deal, but if things continue, it could have a sizable impact. Especially with epic opening in a year.

UNCgolf

Perhaps it helps that my visits aren’t frequent or lengthy, so I treasure every minute I’m there.

I hope the magic returns for you one day!

I do wonder how much this affects opinions/enjoyment.

While I personally think EPCOT, DHS, and Magic Kingdom were all better in the past they are right now (for varying reasons from park to park), I still enjoy them or I wouldn't go. But I'm also not a person who goes even yearly, much less multiple times a year.

AEfx

Unfortunately, that has been one of the biggest changes for me. I sang the Disney praise all my life since my first visit in 1972. But now I run the Disney brand into the ground on a very regular basis. I wear my Disney cloths that I accumulated for years, strike up conversation, and then talk about just how far Disney has fallen. Many folks are surprised.
This has been what happens to me as well - basically, any work place or other social group I have ever been in, I have been the go-to Disney person. So even places I haven't been or known people for years, out of the blue I get "hey! long time no see! going to Disney - any tips?" and I just don't know what to say to most of them...

Lilofan

This has been what happens to me as well - basically, any work place or other social group I have ever been in, I have been the go-to Disney person. So even places I haven't been or known people for years, out of the blue I get "hey! long time no see! going to Disney - any tips?" and I just don't know what to say to most of them...
Back in the day we rely on word of mouth or ie Fodors travel guide. Now info is your fingertips on any info you want.

Willmark

which is why some of us (like me) come across more negative than others... we know what it once was, how it once felt, what it was once priced, how much money we've given the mouse over the years... and then experience it and see the changes today and they don't give that same feel anymore...it's not that it's bad, it's just...not the same
I’ve said it before but Disney has a preferred customer. Their Marketing research has more than likely built a hypothetical customer named them and knows their likes and dislikes, preferences etc.

Note they will take money from anyone but their preferred customer it’s likely something like this:
- family of four; far more rooms that cater to a family of 4.
- ideally a girl and a boy to maximize expenditures across the kids
- kids below 18
- upper middle class income range for upsellls
- flying in, not driving. Keeps them on prem although these days not as way for them to do.
- paying full price
- no discounts
- staying at moderate or above for 7 days.
- eating all meals on prem.
- not park hopping.
- spending on LL, Genie whatever is next.
- buying merch in parks rather than on rides.
- non AP holders
- never visited before (as noted prior guests have a frame of reference for comparison.)
- only visit Disney parks, not Universal or elsewhere.

Question is how likely are they to get to this. Don’t think of it as an all or nothing. It’s a case of what % can they get to that goal?

Again in case people get their hackles up. Disney is going to take anyone’s $$$, it’s simply a case of not all customers are created equal. That’s simply business 101.

“Customer is always right?”

Well… not really. The customer who is buying stuff might be close to that but not every customer.

wannabeBelle

Back in the day we rely on word of mouth or ie Fodors travel guide. Now info is your fingertips on any info you want.
Sort of....... Do a search for almost anything like that and you will get so much conflicting information. You could read on and on for days and still not get an objective good answer. If it is someone you know and see on a semi regular basis, that is a bit more accurate. Marie

erasure fan1

Again in case people get their hackles up. Disney is going to take anyone’s $$$, it’s simply a case of not all customers are created equal. That’s simply business 101.
Exactly. If you're going to fork up the cash, they sure as heck will take it. But they aren't going to go out of their way to try and attract someone like myself with incentives. I'm not doing parties, paying for fastpass, doing a bunch of table service. We've been so many times we aren't buying a bunch of merchandise either. So we're about as valuable to Disney as a hurricane.

Last edited:

Ayla

Exactly. If you're going to fork up the cash, they sure is heck will take it. But they aren't going to go out of their way to try and attract someone like myself with insensitives. I'm not doing parties, paying for fastpass, doing a bunch of table service. We've been so many times we aren't buying a bunch of merchandise either. So we're about as valuable to Disney as a hurricane.
Do you mean incentives?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’ve said it before but Disney has a preferred customer. Their Marketing research has more than likely built a hypothetical customer named them and knows their likes and dislikes, preferences etc.

Note they will take money from anyone but their preferred customer it’s likely something like this:
- kids below 18
- flying in, not driving. Keeps them on prem although these days not as way for them to do.
- paying full price
- no discounts
- not park hopping.
- non AP holders
- never visited before (as noted prior guests have a frame of reference for comparison.)

Question is how likely are they to get to this. Don’t think of it as an all or nothing. It’s a case of what % can they get to that goal?

Well… not really. The customer who is buying stuff might be close to that but not every customer.
There’s no doubt they have specific targets…

The problem is bad management looking too short term in their parameters.

The pool they want doesn’t exist long term…
The smart path is long term loyalty. It always was and always will be.

And frankly…that was built buy Eisner and still is their backbone Today.
It’s diminishing returns moving forward.

Lilofan

Exactly. If you're going to fork up the cash, they sure is heck will take it. But they aren't going to go out of their way to try and attract someone like myself with insensitives. I'm not doing parties, paying for fastpass, doing a bunch of table service. We've been so many times we aren't buying a bunch of merchandise either. So we're about as valuable to Disney as a hurricane.
Like the saying goes - There is a sucker born every minute.

DisneyHead123

- kids below 18
- paying full price
- no discounts
- not park hopping.
- non AP holders

I don’t know, it seems like they’re moving more towards adult oriented offerings as their demographics have shifted. I would be surprised if festivals are central for most families with small children, and those are certainly a big focus. I think families will always be a priority group simply because Disney started as a family destination and families are more likely to spend a lot on their kids. But recently it seems like their focus is pretty much on anyone with cash to spare. I’ve been researching their cruise lines and it feels like this shows up fairly prominently there. The new ships devote a lot of space to high end retail and uber expensive mega-suites, some say it’s more geared to concierge class, the new destination is likely to feature super expensive cabanas. The parks have gone add-on crazy with Genie+ and LL… I think Disney is happy to see many types of visitors, so long as they’re paying a premium.

Tha Realest

Same here. My recent advice it’s the question of “I’m thinking of going to WDW - what do we need to do?” And my response is, “Go to Disneyland instead.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom