Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

scottb411

Isn’t this thread on attendance? if people want to waste their life discussing apple charging cords go somewhere else. I drop in to see what attendance at the park is like, and I see nothing but childish arguing over unimportant stuff. Can a moderator address this please?
From my standpoint being there for seven days last week, Disney did not appear to have any kind of attendance issues at the parks. Maybe they are no longer getting the post-Covid revenge travel and they are discounting again, but they were very busy.

I agree with many others here that Disney needs to add more rides and parades/shows(ie. Voyage of the Little Mermaid) to spread out the crowds more from the long standby lines but I did feel that G+ was a major upgrade from both Fastpass and Fastpass Plus with using my phone in-place instead of zig-zagging around the parks to pickup tickets in locations where I couldn’t use them right away. Most of the time that I was on the phone for G+ was when I took a few minutes to select the next LL while waiting in a standby line of 15 minutes or more.

Pepper's Ghost

Isn’t this thread on attendance? if people want to waste their life discussing apple charging cords go somewhere else. I drop in to see what attendance at the park is like, and I see nothing but childish arguing over unimportant stuff. Can a moderator address this please?
Valid point, but it wasn't off topic when Apple first started in the conversation. I believe it went something like this...
  • Opinion that Apple should buy Disney so they can improve the product which will then improve attendance again.
  • Then the opinion of Apple not being any better than Disney with nickle and diming
  • Then the opinion that Apple way overcharges, but doesn't really nickle and dime
  • Followed by a retort that Apple nickle and dimes by not including plugs, cords, and design airtags so you have to purchase additional accessories
  • Then someone mentions that you don't need a cord anymore or you can buy them cheaper elsewhere or your doing it wrong
  • Yada, yada, yada...
Just to be fair the initial introduction of the sidebar did start on topic, but just morphed into a t!t-for-tat attack and defense of Apple. I take your point, but sometimes when people go down the rabbit hole, no one really suggests to take it offline, or into another thread.

TheMaxRebo

From my standpoint being there for seven days last week, Disney did not appear to have any kind of attendance issues at the parks. Maybe they are no longer getting the post-Covid revenge travel and they are discounting again, but they were very busy.

I agree with many others here that Disney needs to add more rides and parades/shows(ie. Voyage of the Little Mermaid) to spread out the crowds more from the long standby lines but I did feel that G+ was a major upgrade from both Fastpass and Fastpass Plus with using my phone in-place instead of zig-zagging around the parks to pickup tickets in locations where I couldn’t use them right away. Most of the time that I was on the phone for G+ was when I took a few minutes to select the next LL while waiting in a standby line of 15 minutes or more.

I have been looking at historical wait times shared on Thrill Data and what keeps showing up is that wait times are definitely compared to the most recent years, but more in line with 2016, 2017, etc ... so I think people may have just gotten used to just ever increasing wait times right before covid)

That, coupled with less things taking up capacity - thinks like VotLM like you mention but also loss of streemosphere (Citizens of Hollywood, etc) and there is just less "other stuff" to do so a higher % of people are in a queue, so I think that does all tie into lower crowds, but especially to the peak of like 2019 ... so not empty but definitely not peak crowds either

DisneyNeighbor

It's easy enough for people to keep scrolling instead of tattling or whining about a curve in the conversation. (Not directed at you, PG.)
The childish discussion on off-topic subjects is why I don't visit this site on a regular basis any longer. I'm assuming most people want to read about the subject of the topic, not mindless arguing. The mods need to crack down on this and get people to STAY ON TOPIC.

BlakeW39

The childish discussion on off-topic subjects is why I don't visit this site on a regular basis any longer. I'm assuming most people want to read about the subject of the topic, not mindless arguing. The mods need to crack down on this and get people to STAY ON TOPIC.

your rant itself is off topic buddy. And it certainly isn't a progressive way to shift the conversation back to WDW attendance.

Pepper's Ghost

I have been looking at historical wait times shared on Thrill Data and what keeps showing up is that wait times are definitely compared to the most recent years, but more in line with 2016, 2017, etc ... so I think people may have just gotten used to just ever increasing wait times right before covid)

That, coupled with less things taking up capacity - thinks like VotLM like you mention but also loss of streemosphere (Citizens of Hollywood, etc) and there is just less "other stuff" to do so a higher % of people are in a queue, so I think that does all tie into lower crowds, but especially to the peak of like 2019 ... so not empty but definitely not peak crowds either
One of the arguments made is that the stating of wait times themselves are far overinflated. Some mentioned how long waits were posted on signs, yet actual waits were next to nothing. I can't corroborate this, but if true as witnessed, comparing wait times if they're inaccurate doesn't give the correct comparison.

However, as you alluded to wait times can be the same or higher if they do things like shut down one side of Space Mountain, remove vehicles/boats from circulation, or taking down rides "for maintenance" in the middle of the day. Any park can inflate wait times to simulate being crowded. It will depend on actual attendance records once available.

Pepper's Ghost

It's a shame that you feel the need to stay away because discussions sometimes go off topic. I'm not being sarcastic btw. There have been so many entertaining meandering discussions. I've been on a couple of other forums and all of them have discussions that meander. It's common in all other kinds of discussion boards, and social media. Like @Ayla said, it's far easier to scroll past the comments that don't interest you... just like you do when you look at the subjects titles on a given board. Just skip what you don't care about. Or you can scream for the content police and be that person in a situation that is essentially harmless.

Meandering conversations happen, but that said, you gotta do what you gotta do. You can't police every discussion to make sure no one posts anything that is not exactly on topic. I'll be honest tho, if you were a mod on this forum, it'd be a lot less entertaining watching it be policed with an iron fist. I appreciate the mods on these boards for allowing people to enjoy themselves, and then stepping in when a situation gets heated or becomes inappropriate. That's the way to do it. I've left other forums for the opposite reason you have... where mods delete or edit posts in a conversation far too often because they're not exactly on topic. It sucks because it removes all humor from the boards. What's next, banning and burning books you don't like? 🤣 Just kidding, but I just suggest you stop reading a topic when you lose interest. I, and I'm guessing everyone else do this all the time.

Now back on topic... what's up with the seemingly smaller crowds, right? 🤣🤣

scottb411

One of the arguments made is that the stating of wait times themselves are far overinflated. Some mentioned how long waits were posted on signs, yet actual waits were next to nothing. I can't corroborate this, but if true as witnessed, comparing wait times if they're inaccurate doesn't give the correct comparison.

However, as you alluded to wait times can be the same or higher if they do things like shut down one side of Space Mountain, remove vehicles/boats from circulation, or taking down rides "for maintenance" in the middle of the day. Any park can inflate wait times to simulate being crowded. It will depend on actual attendance records once available.
Most of the standby lines we waited in last week were close to what was posted during peak hours and Avatar early-entry. The wait times were off towards the end of extended hours (ie. 7D was 20 minutes when it was posted at 45 minutes) and right after a rain storm closure but I feel that is consistent historically where wait times can be off during the last hour or so of park opening or when a ride needs to close temporarily and just opens up. Some of that is projected wait times I’m guessing. Remy listed at 10 minutes during the second hour of extended nighttime was accurate so I didn’t feel that Disney was intentionally manipulating times. I think they need to account for potential LL guests when they post their standby waits and you get an hour to return for LL that could work in the favor of a quicker standby time that is posted depending on when riders are returning to the queue.

Pepper's Ghost

Most of the standby lines we waited in last week were close to what was posted during peak hours and Avatar early-entry. The wait times were off towards the end of extended hours (ie. 7D was 20 minutes when it was posted at 45 minutes) and right after a rain storm closure but I feel that is consistent historically where wait times can be off during the last hour or so of park opening or when a ride needs to close temporarily and just opens up. Some of that is projected wait times I’m guessing. Remy listed at 10 minutes during the second hour of extended nighttime was accurate so I didn’t feel that Disney was intentionally manipulating times. I think they need to account for potential LL guests when they post their standby waits and you get an hour to return for LL that could work in the favor of a quicker standby time that is posted depending on when riders are returning to the queue.
That makes sense, but whoever or whatever is estimating waiting times really $ucks at it. 😁 Honestly tho, that goes way back too. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten into standby for something and the wait time posted was double or half of what it really was. The posted wait times are really unreliable. FP, FP+, and Genie just make it far more difficult for them to estimate.

I do think they try to steer crowds to different rides or areas of the parks by manipulating posted wait times. If for no other reason, it might be for safety alone. You don't want 80% of the crowd in one part of the park while you have capacity in others. What did that study once upon a time say? That some huge majority of people entering a theme/amusement park naturally turn right and go counter-clockwise?

the_rich

That makes sense, but whoever or whatever is estimating waiting times really $ucks at it. 😁 Honestly tho, that goes way back too. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten into standby for something and the wait time posted was double or half of what it really was. The posted wait times are really unreliable. FP, FP+, and Genie just make it far more difficult for them to estimate.

I do think they try to steer crowds to different rides or areas of the parks by manipulating posted wait times. If for no other reason, it might be for safety alone. You don't want 80% of the crowd in one part of the park while you have capacity in others. What did that study once upon a time say? That some huge majority of people entering a theme/amusement park naturally turn right and go counter-clockwise?
Thats why I always go left lol

the_rich

EXACTLY! Well, that and IMO the rides through Adventureland and into Liberty Square are just better. I love Space Mountain, but that side of the park didn't have as much going for it until Tron which I won't try until Disney improves the overall experience. By then it might be ripe for a makeover. 🤣
I try to do adventureland, frontierland, and liberty Square then head to Tomorrowland. After that a break at the hotel and then fantasyland in afternoon/night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom