Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

DisneyNittany

…the iq just dropped in here
my-bad-gif-file-1896kb-keftae9v7owaropi.gif

Disstevefan1

COSTCO is selling the dog combo and rotisserie chicken at a loss.

Disney doesn't sell anything at a loss.
Well, yes, good point. Its common for retail to sell items at a loss to bring in customers so they buy other things.

As a teenager, I worked in a department store (yes a department store) and I worked in the "Surprise corner", we actually sold items at a loss, or at least well below retail and wholesale, we had food vendors like hot dog stands coming in to purchase our canned soda because it was cheaper than from their supplier.

ConfettiCupcake

I can argue many of the QS restaurants are within the ballpark of reasonable compared to their real world equivalents. Especially the ones that aren’t serving the standard theme park fare. I’ll even give them the drinks and snacks, they’re what I’d expect out of a captive audience venue.

The TS have become lost the plot, off their rocker, incredibly overpriced - with a handful of exceptions. I don’t know how anyone can look at those and say ‘well everything is expensive’. It’s crazy comparing the prices 10 years ago to today. A blog post from fall 2014 has Ohana at $32.99 a person for dinner. Today it costs $62, the adult price of 10 years ago is less than the child price today. Similar examples can be found across the board at their TS restaurants.

Saskdw

I can argue many of the QS restaurants are within the ballpark of reasonable compared to their real world equivalents. Especially the ones that aren’t serving the standard theme park fare. I’ll even give them the drinks and snacks, they’re what I’d expect out of a captive audience venue.

The TS have become lost the plot, off their rocker, incredibly overpriced - with a handful of exceptions. I don’t know how anyone can look at those and say ‘well everything is expensive’. It’s crazy comparing the prices 10 years ago to today. A blog post from fall 2014 has Ohana at $32.99 a person for dinner. Today it costs $62, the adult price of 10 years ago is less than the child price today. Similar examples can be found across the board at their TS restaurants.
And the tipping expectation that goes with it is out of hand as well.

15 years ago when I was tipping 20% at WDW I was considered a big tipper. Most were only giving 15%.
Now the food priced has doubled and they "expect" 20% and suggest 25%.

The food cost including tips for our 2022 and 2023 trips were double our 2017 trip. This was mostly Universal restaurants not Disney, but we all know Disney is not cheaper.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Right now…because of 3 years of organized price gouging at home….i don’t think the qs prices are bad at all. From a comparative standpoint.

But that won’t last. Sales are down on Main Street and they’ve had to peel back prices…Disney parks will do the opposite as soon as they can

CAV

And the tipping expectation that goes with it is out of hand as well.

15 years ago when I was tipping 20% at WDW I was considered a big tipper. Most were only giving 15%.
Now the food priced has doubled and they "expect" 20% and suggest 25%.

The food cost including tips for our 2022 and 2023 trips were double our 2017 trip. This was mostly Universal restaurants not Disney, but we all know Disney is not cheaper.
And the suggestion is based on the meal + TAX.

Nubs70

And the suggestion is based on the meal + TAX.
Michigan judicial just reinstated standard minimum wage for tipped positions. So minimum wage will be the same for both tipped and non tipped positions AND indexed for inflation. Tipped positions minimum will be gradually increased over the next several years until point of parity.

The restaurant industry in Michigan will be decimated in about 5 years

ConfettiCupcake

For a slightly less depressing price comparison than Ohana (but only because the 2014 base was so much lower to begin with) I give you 2014 vs 2024 Mama Melrose.

I chose menu items that seem to be the same or similar on both menus….
Caesar Salad
2014 - $6.49
2024 - $12
Spaghetti and Meatballs
2014 - $18.99 (this version offered choices with the protein and the sauce)
2024 - $27
Chicken Parm with Spaghetti
2014 - $18.99
2024 - $28
Tiramisu
2014 - $6.49
2024 - $8.50

For reference, the 2014 pricing of those entrees is basically Olive Garden’s pricing today. The obvious lesson here is to forego appetizers and entrees and just exist off dessert.

JoeCamel

For a slightly less depressing price comparison than Ohana (but only because the 2014 base was so much lower to begin with) I give you 2014 vs 2024 Mama Melrose.

I chose menu items that seem to be the same or similar on both menus….
Caesar Salad
2014 - $6.49
2024 - $12
Spaghetti and Meatballs
2014 - $18.99 (this version offered choices with the protein and the sauce)
2024 - $27
Chicken Parm with Spaghetti
2014 - $18.99
2024 - $28
Tiramisu
2014 - $6.49
2024 - $8.50

For reference, the 2014 pricing of those entrees is basically Olive Garden’s pricing today. The obvious lesson here is to forego appetizers and entrees and just exist off dessert.
With Bob's 10% yoy goal today's prices are low........

Its not like they can add tables or turn them faster so food quality, labor cost and pricing are the only levers they have to meet the mandate

TrainsOfDisney

Its not like they can add tables or turn them faster so food quality and pricing are the only levers they have to meet the mandate
But that only works if people continue to fill the tables.

Everything is connected. If a family of 4 visits WDW and only eats counter service and maybe 1 table service because of high prices - that will also affect the memory of the trip and will affect future buying decisions.

ConfettiCupcake

We used to be the kind of suckers guests whose non negotiable was a TS meal every day. Sometimes twice. Now when we go we do QS most meals, being very choosy with our TS meals when we used to treat them as a must because we obviously had to eat! Genie+ really forced our hand, the cost savings between TS and QS was about what Genie+ cost that day. Once we did that once, it was hard to go back.

I always say that one of the last things Disney wants any of us doing is math. If we are unhappy enough to sit down and actually look hard at the additional cost of an option, they’ve probably already lost us. We were loyal to Chef Mickeys for years, but that insane price had us having to decide if nostalgia was worth $200 plus tax and tip for a family of 4 or if a visit to Contempo Cafe at maybe 1/4th of the price and seeing the characters elsewhere would suffice. It sufficed lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom