Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Splash4eva

For the “parties” I tend to agree…if I want to call august 22 “Halloween” and somebody will show up in garb during the monsoon season…it ain’t on me.

After hours is different. They let their standard attendance exceed what they can comfortably handle through lack of expansion, kept “winter hours” 🙄, and then sell an “escape” from the crowds.

Dr evil level there.
But nobody has to believe my opinion…it’s just exactly how it went. The way they make decisions under stiff Bob isn’t mystical or rocket science
Yes i agree the reduction of park hours which in theory “created” the AH events is part of the reason we are seeing fed up customers for sure. So i can see that point. Whats baffling is if you gave say the park an extra hour or so maybe 2 you most likely can still sell these After Hours events and it becomes a win win.

MagicHappens1971

Yes i agree the reduction of park hours which in theory “created” the AH events is part of the reason we are seeing fed up customers for sure. So i can see that point. Whats baffling is if you gave say the park an extra hour or so maybe 2 you most likely can still sell these After Hours events and it becomes a win win.
I honestly don’t even care about the After Hour events, they should just start later. 11p-2a?

I remember way back when (2014) I could stay at MK until 2am with extra magic hours… those were the days.

But it seems that post pandemic none of the parks want to stay open late, universal included, some nights the parks close at 7pm

Splash4eva

I honestly don’t even care about the After Hour events, they should just start later. 11p-2a?

I remember way back when (2014) I could stay at MK until 2am with extra magic hours… those were the days.

But it seems that post pandemic none of the parks want to stay open late, universal included, some nights the parks close at 7pm
Yes exactly. Give the normal paying guests until 10-11 and if someone wants to pay for basically an empty park until 2 so be it as i said win win for everyone. To see parks close at 7-8-9pm at a place like Disney is crazy and earlier on party nights

SamusAranX

That is also more they have to pay staff....they want minimum OC for maximum for rev

jpeden

In the Parks
No

I was shocked to see USO close at 7PM. This was on a Tuesday in May when i was there for a conference and entered on a P2P conference ticket. The MK the next night did at least close at 11PM so my “after 1PM” conference ticket was good for a 10 hour day. Of course since it was Wednesday the deluxe guests got an additional two hours so the park was open until 1AM for them.

But in general I agree, MK shouldn’t be closing before 10PM to the t general public any night in the summer. I get why they close EPCOT at 9 - keeping it open any later invites a party culture they don’t want (albeit some of that is some of their own making by pushing the festivals so much IMO).

MagicHappens1971

But in general I agree, MK shouldn’t be closing before 10PM to the t general public any night in the summer. I get why they close EPCOT at 9 - keeping it open any later invites a party culture they don’t want (albeit some of that is some of their own making by pushing the festivals so much IMO).
I think the internet, combined with the festivals and Disneys want to increase liquor sales, has created that “party atmosphere”. From the bachelor/ette parties, 21st Birthday Drinking around the world, etc…. Epcot has garnered the reputation (outside of the Disney fan community) as the place you go to drink.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I think the internet, combined with the festivals and Disneys want to increase liquor sales, has created that “party atmosphere”. From the bachelor/ette parties, 21st Birthday Drinking around the world, etc…. Epcot has garnered the reputation (outside of the Disney fan community) as the place you go to drink.
I’ve always been surprised Disney doesn’t do after hours events at Epcot for only over 21 adults for the drinking / party atmosphere. With additional security of course

MagicHappens1971

I’ve always been surprised Disney doesn’t do after hours events at Epcot for over 21 adults only for the drinking / party atmosphere. With additional security of course
I think it’s a headache that they don’t want. Disneys so into “optics”, and the videos that would come out of an event like this wouldn’t be the look they’re going for. If the current exec mindset existing 10-20 years ago before the crazy social media and internet stuff, it probably would’ve happened.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I think it’s a headache that they don’t want. Disneys so into “optics”, and the videos that would come out of an event like this wouldn’t be the look they’re going for. If the current exec mindset existing 10-20 years ago before the crazy social media and internet stuff, it probably would’ve happened.
It’s likely a look and liability thing. Similar to Pleasure Island. May it rest in peace :(

TheMaxRebo

Well then we paid $74 because I would have bought in advance and we went in November. It’s also crazy to think they were all just one price except one “premium” night which was only $8 more if you bought your tickets in advance.

In 2021 I get the price increase because it was an after hours event - not MVMCP. But now they’re pricing the parties like after hours events. I will say attendance was clearly kept down for MNSSHP in 2022 when we went as it was nothing like the nightmare that was 2019 (I ended up getting a refund for the party we went to in 2019 it was so miserable), but 2022 attendance was still nothing like the one time we went to DAH (which we got for free due to Disney bungling something else on one of our trips as guest recovery).

Yeah I definitely recall tons of complaints from like 2017-2019 if how crowded the parties had gotten and they were worse than just a regular day crowd and basically could get very little done

So if they truly are going to sell fewer tickets (as appeared to be the case last year) I get a p ice increase and I, personally, would rather spend like $120 for a lower crowds/get everything we want done experience vs $75 and feel like we wasted our time and money due to crowds .... Problem is they have soared passed that price point for most nights - more than double what it was just a few years ago is a lot

bmr1591

I think you can have late hours and AH events if you put special characters in the AH events. But that would mean Disney using more than normal characters they always use.

TheMaxRebo

Well, Disneyland says open late still .... But that is a whole other discussion

Universal neve really stayed open late - not like how WDW used to be

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Because it’s a sales tactic…
…didn’t we figure this out years ago? 🤔

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just a theory…but I think what you’re proposing busts the whole “model”

After hours likely costs almost zero in overhead - labor wise - and they end up paying the same as they always did for a long, crowded day?

But if they started later and went to like 2,3…we can’t have that. Some people sleep and therefore leave…and what a loss those college programmers standing around would be ! 😱

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
When the street gangs were making their presence known at Pleasure Island added to the downfall and eventual closure of the adults only location.
Can you stop saying this one over and over again?

Disney couldn’t figure out how to price it to their liking…they tried a million different ways

“Gangs” was a very convenient way of saying to the Pearl clutching crowd that it was for “their benefit”…when it was taking something away.

Iger let downtown rot for 10 years…on purpose…which is always overlooked. Like most things with him

Lilofan

Can you stop saying this one over and over again?

Disney couldn’t figure out how to price it to their liking…they tried a million different ways

“Gangs” was a very convenient way of saying to the Pearl clutching crowd that it was for “their benefit”…when it was taking something away.

Iger let downtown rot for 10 years…on purpose…which is always overlooked. Like most things with him
I was at BET at PI back in the day. I can assure you the thugs were there on the dance floor with their women throwing gang signs during the night. I've spent time in Cali so I know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom