Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Vegas Disney Fan

You got it backwards. The lower attendance is caused by their higher prices. They are doing it purposefully. Which is why, and I know this is confusing for some, they haven't lowered prices back.
You give Disney far more credit than I think most of us do, this isn’t some altruistic attempt to make the park experience better by raising prices to lower attendance, Disneys goal has always been to extract as much out of their guests as they can without losing too many, they have been treading this line for decades but they finally crossed over it the last couple years, we’re now seeing the results.

Disney may say they raised prices to lower attendance but I don’t believe it for a second, they flat out gouged people because the pandemic travel rebound allowed it, that boom is over and now it’s biting them in the butt. They got too greedy and pushed too far… that always catches up to companies.

Tha Realest

So we're back to the original point: the losses at WDW are so small as to be completely offset by gains (and then some) at the other parks and cruise line. Which either means WDW is only down a small insignificant portion, or it's revenues are just not that important to the entire portfolio anymore.

Take your pick.
I’m not picking anything. The original point of this thread is, “is attendance really down at WDW?” Its clear it is, and remains on that trajectory.

You and others want to spin that as a good thing, or negligible, but it shouldn’t take a billion dollar investment in a new cruise boat, and a new island, or other parks finally carrying their weight, to offset those sudden losses at WDW.

Nubs70

You got it backwards. The lower attendance is caused by their higher prices. They are doing it purposefully. Which is why, and I know this is confusing for some, they haven't lowered prices back.
Disney is in the business of making margin not money.

For example, my company has a Direct Net Contribution (DNC) of 17%. We lost a competitive bid to a competitor who won with a DNC around 15% DNC. This total loss was $28 million in sales per year for the next 5 years ($140 million total). Had we came in at 14% DNC, we would have retained $136 million over 5 years, now we get $0 over 5 years.

What is better, $136 million at below target margin or $0 at target margin?

LSLS

If Disney is accomplishing the goals you say, the goal is to lower attendance and hotel bookings, but also take away all the non-ride entertainment amd maintanence so that wait times stay the same or longer while closing off blocks of hotels so you still feel like there are tons of people in your area. And you want me to believe this is for the BENEFIT of the guests?

IanDLBZF

I am at MK now. It is pretty busy, but not too bad overall.
IMG_1298.jpeg

maxairmike

While true, most parks don't outright acknowledge TEA, none have ever disputed the numbers either.

I don’t remember what year, but I do remember that SIX did openly dispute somewhat recently that the TEA numbers for at least one or two parks were significantly off. I want to say it was in the neighborhood of 15-25%, but I’m not entirely certain of that number and don’t care to go on a search at the moment. I have never taken the TEA numbers as anything but an educated guess with a very large grain of salt.

Disneyhead'71

I don’t remember what year, but I do remember that SIX did openly dispute somewhat recently that the TEA numbers for at least one or two parks were significantly off. I want to say it was in the neighborhood of 15-25%, but I’m not entirely certain of that number and don’t care to go on a search at the moment. I have never taken the TEA numbers as anything but an educated guess with a very large grain of salt.
SeaWorld also sued TEA over the numbers but the suit was tossed because SeaWorld refused to disclose the "actual" numbers to prove their case.

Lilofan

If Disney is doing so well how come
"The closing price for Walt Disney (DIS) in 2019 was $143.50, on December 31, 2019. It was up 35.4% for the year. The latest price is $97.31"
Market last ten years
"The S&P 500 returned 163% over the last decade, compounding at 10.2% annually.Jan 21, 2024"
There is a reason why most Disney shareholders are institutional investors like myself. The Dow and Nasdaq are at record highs and my portfolio is the highest its ever been and God willing the markets will go even higher! The market has turned some everyday long term investors into millionaires.

John park hopper

There is a reason why most Disney shareholders are institutional investors like myself. The Dow and Nasdaq are at record highs and my portfolio is the highest its ever been and God willing the markets will go even higher! The market has turned some everyday long term investors into millionaires.
Shouldn't Disney stock be much higher and earning you higher dividends on your investment? Just asking I am not well versed in the market

Nubs70

Are there any Indications that Uni attendance is falling off too?

I have a conference coming up at Uni in mid September. Originally conference attendance was limited due to lack of rooms. Over the last month, attendance for the conference is increasing because more rooms are becoming available.

Saskdw

Are there any Indications that Uni attendance is falling off too?

I have a conference coming up at Uni in mid September. Originally conference attendance was limited due to lack of rooms. Over the last month, attendance for the conference is increasing because more rooms are becoming available.
I don't know about the resorts, but I watched a youtube by PCDev last night comparing crowds and Universal was slammed. They are having no downturn there. I wouldn't say the crowds are up, but its business as usual.

JD80

I don't know about the resorts, but I watched a youtube by PCDev last night comparing crowds and Universal was slammed. They are having no downturn there. I wouldn't say the crowds are up, but its business as usual.

Just comparing today in history, both parks have similar wait time historical profiles. Basically right in the middle.

Universal:
1721311813893.png

Magic Kingdom:

1721311829337.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom