Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

CntrlFlPete

last year was emptier, i was the only person on millenium falcon at 6 pm last mothers day...thats not what im seeing

here are some random pics from Mother's Day 2024 (yesterday) from HS around noonish (RotR posted 60 mins, Minnie/Mickey rail-road was posted as 65 mins, I did not ride anything to know how accurate those were, but this is just a look of how crowded it felt on the streets of the park:

md241.jpg

md242.jpg

md243.jpg

md244.jpg

Figgy1

Premium Member
I’m sure that’s exactly what Disney wants to hear.

I agree with you though. Right now Uni is a much better value proposition than Disney is.

Hopefully, they won’t start morphing into the Disney model after EPIC opens. Cause then I’ll just start hangin’ at Fun Spot.
I hear all the cool kids hang at Gatorland these days. if you know, you know;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Laketravis

here are some random pics from Mother's Day 2024 (yesterday) from HS around noonish (RotR posted 60 mins, Minnie/Mickey rail-road was posted as 65 mins, I did not ride anything to know how accurate those were, but this is just a look of how crowded it felt on the streets of the park:

View attachment 785223

View attachment 785224

View attachment 785225

View attachment 785226

That's pretty much how it looked when I was there last week, with posted wait times as high or higher. I'm inclined to believe that in large part it's because everyone is in a line somewhere.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
That's pretty much how it looked when I was there last week, with posted wait times as high or higher. I'm inclined to believe that in large part it's because everyone is in a line somewhere.
other than the bottleneck in toy story land, those pics make it look like thin crowds.

they can make wait times whatever they want and load/unload as efficient as they want as well

...can't make things too efficient though, need those G+ sales

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
other than the bottleneck in toy story land, those pics make it look like thin crowds.

they can make wait times whatever they want and load/unload as efficient as they want as well

Light days like these where people could go on rides at will, shop unencumbered, walk in to any restaurant were so invaluable to developing customer base…
That’s who became repeat, avid, multigenerational visitors, dvc owners, passholders, art of Disney shoppers, etc etc etc.

What a pity no one is left that understands in the management hierarchy anymore

Weather_Lady

Good point. For so long, we (and all the reputable crowd calendar makers and Disney touring guide publishers) have measured WDW "crowds" in terms of attraction wait times. It's a hard habit to break, and I think it will be some time before guests change their mindset to understand that nowadays when there are fewer people in the parks, Disney is purposely reducing staff, ride capacity, and hours, in order to keep wait times (and the perceived need to buy G+) as steady as possible. As a result, there's no way to measure (other than eye-balling and guessing from the crowdedness of common areas, knowledge of historical crowd levels, or surges in WDW's hotel/ticket/G+ pricing) whether park attendance is rising, falling, or staying the same. Nor do crowd fluctuations have as much of an impact on the average guest as in times past, since WDW is doing its best to ensure that even if you visit during a "low crowd" time, you're unlikely to see much benefit from that choice (or at least, far less benefit than you used to get), in terms of attraction wait times.

Last edited:

Tha Realest

Good point. For so long, we (and all the reputable crowd calendar makers and Disney touring guide publishers) have measured WDW "crowds" in terms of attraction wait times. It's a hard habit to break, and I think it will be some time before guests change their mindset to understand that when there are fewer people in the parks, Disney is purposely reducing staff, ride capacity, and hours, in order to keep wait times (and the perceived need to buy G+) as steady as possible. As a result, there's no way to measure (other than eye-balling and guessing from the crowdedness of common areas, or extrapolating knowledge of historical crowd levels) whether park attendance is rising, falling, or staying the same. Nor does it really matter to the average guest, since WDW is doing its best to ensure that even if you visit during a "low crowd" time, you're unlikely to see much benefit from that choice (or at least, far less benefit than you used to get), in terms of attraction wait times.
The (Mouse) House always wins.

Nubs70

Light days like these where people could go on rides at will, shop unencumbered, walk in to any restaurant were so invaluable to developing customer base…
That’s who became repeat, avid, multigenerational visitors, dvc owners, passholders, art of Disney shoppers, etc etc etc.

What a pity no one is left that understands in the management hierarchy anymore
Before my first visit I had no idea what DVC was. After my return visit, I began to entertain the idea of annual passes. My third visit, we entertained the thought of DVC and went through the sales presentation.

Looking at today, the shear expense and hoop jumping makes for such a miserable experience that it leaves a feeling of being "fleaced" by WDW. Why would a "once and done" guest be motivated to purchase the incremental offerings that tie you to your miserable initial experience?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Before my first visit I had no idea what DVC was. After my return visit, I began to entertain the idea of annual passes. My third visit, we entertained the thought of DVC and went through the sales presentation.

Looking at today, the shear expense and hoop jumping makes for such a miserable experience that it leaves a feeling of being "fleaced" by WDW. Why would a "once and done" guest be motivated to purchase the incremental offerings that tie you to your miserable initial experience?
Don’t under estimate the power of a “free” AP magnet to some lol

Chi84

Premium Member

Why do you think people are doing it?

Touchdown

Variety of reasons - love for the parks/brands, guaranteeing a trip once a year, etc.

Just yesterday at SeaWorld the vacation rental sales folks we're doing a decent job of getting people to discuss plans.
Mainly because people can’t do math and have no idea about personal finance, mainly opportunity cost and compound interest. Timeshares the way they are priced do not make sense for most people. They are also always cheaper on resale.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Mainly because people can’t do math and have no idea about personal finance, mainly opportunity cost and compound interest. Timeshares the way they are priced so not make sense for most people. They are also always cheaper on resale.
Some of my neighbors want those free park tickets that timeshare companies use as an incentive to buy into timeshares. . They just sign up/ show up for the non Disney timeshare tour with no desire to buy into.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom