Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

LittleBuford

…I’ve bet they’ve changed some since then…like Disney magical experiences 😎
Other Brits who've continued to visit UK theme parks haven't exactly endorsed the view that Disney wouldn't pass muster in Blighty. It's a pretty far-fetched claim, and I take it with a very large pinch of salt given that the person advancing it has chosen, of his own volition, to spend three whole weeks in the supposed hellhole of WDW.

LittleBuford

I can get a season pass at my local theme park for less than 1 day at Disney.

Disney is the one setting these expectations when they decided they are worth 10x more.
I personally think they are worth ten times more. I realise not everyone agrees with me, and that's why it's great that there are so many theme parks that people can choose between when deciding how they'd like to spend their time and money.

Addo

Just finished two weeks from UK. Spent two weeks same time last year.

No evidence. But I wouldn’t say there was much difference in crowds at all. Would he tempted to say it felt even a little bit busier this year - more consistent across all rides. However a huge difference in weather - last year was tonnes stormier come afternoon.

Slightly shorter park hours annoying. Apart from that. Much the same!

TheMaxRebo

I personally think they are worth ten times more. I realise not everyone agrees with me, and that's why it's great that there are so many theme parks that people can choose between when deciding how they'd like to spend their time and money.

I am with you. I haven't been to every other theme park but the ones I have been (Busch Gardens, Dollywood, Hershey Park, Universal) don't come close to the experience we get at Disney

Doesn't mean they are bad or that Disney isn't down some from where it was, but we always say "well, that is why we keep going back to Disney"

Thepuma

You wrote, "I know for a fact if a UK theme park pulled the tricks Disney does the park would be empty and it would go out if business." A bit of an exaggeration, no? I wish the UK had a theme park half as good and well run as Disney!
UK theme parks are far from perfect I agree...but as I said, they don't pull the same tricks Disney (and to some extent Universal) pull.

Disney get away with it because they have a unique product....all the attractions are miles better than a UK theme park. I mean, Rise Of The Resistance on its own probably cost more than what Alton Towers, Thorpe Park and Chesssington put together.

That's why it has the draw it does and why they get away with their dirty tricks, because there is always another mug paying to get through the door and pay $35 for a pair of ears that cost $1 to make.

The reason UK punters wouldn't put up with it is because they aren't getting the attractions in return so people don't have high expectations...but if Magic Kingdon was in the UK it would most likely be boycotted by quite a high number of people once they realised how Disney run their parks...in America the people seem to have both the patience of a Saint and the ability to put up with any disappointment that these parks throw at them without as much as a murmur of discontent.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Other Brits who've continued to visit UK theme parks haven't exactly endorsed the view that Disney wouldn't pass muster in Blighty. It's a pretty far-fetched claim, and I take it with a very large pinch of salt given that the person advancing it has chosen, of his own volition, to spend three whole weeks in the supposed hellhole of WDW.
It’s not a direct comparison…for sure. Wdw and euro were built 90% by better, wiser, higher skilled men.

Hell hole? No
Pee poorly managed and trying to destruct itself?
Little question.

…you had very fair points…by the way 👍🏻👍🏻

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am with you. I haven't been to every other theme park but the ones I have been (Busch Gardens, Dollywood, Hershey Park, Universal) don't come close to the experience we get at Disney

Doesn't mean they are bad or that Disney isn't down some from where it was, but we always say "well, that is why we keep going back to Disney"
If you put it on a pedestal…it just means you’re a Disney truist.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that…they put a lot of years and money into getting that response.

The parks just aren’t being run well strategically right now. New pressures and on a path to ruin…and that might be intentional as long as Napoleon Argylle is allowed to hang around with autonomy

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What are you talking about? It's the most-visited theme park in Europe by a mile.
But had been in financial trouble since the ribbon is cut.

A lot of that is bad design…but it also is the appeal is not completely there to drive it where it was designed to go.

Europeans are more discerning. Tell them “no” in Orlando at your perile. I been there and learned fast. So I wouldn’t say that “most visited in Europe” tell the whole story.

They don’t hardcore amusement parks like we do in the great, wide, 85% BORING USA.

Now Japan? That’s a crowd

Thepuma

Do you spend a lot of times in UK parks? 🤔
Not really...

Alton Towers about 3 times a year....Thorpe Park and Chessington I live 10 minutes from both so go there all the time, so maybe 7 or 8 times a year each. Blackpool Pleasure Beach twice a year. Drayton Manor is awful so we don't really go their anymore.

As I said, UK parks are far from perfect....but they don't pull the same stunts as Disney. They wouldn't get away with it like Disney do....Disney parks have a unique product, so will always have an endless supply of paying punters.

But if Disney was in the UK charging £120 for a day ticket, they would go out of business if they pulled the same tricks their Orlando parks do

Thepuma

Just finished two weeks from UK. Spent two weeks same time last year.

No evidence. But I wouldn’t say there was much difference in crowds at all. Would he tempted to say it felt even a little bit busier this year - more consistent across all rides. However a huge difference in weather - last year was tonnes stormier come afternoon.

Slightly shorter park hours annoying. Apart from that. Much the same!
I agree.

I'm 18 days in and we have witnessed absolutely no drop in parks busyness- compared to exactly these weeks last year it is definitely busier.

Over the past 6 years I've visited 2 or 3 times a year at different times and this visit has been the busiest I've ever known it...thats Both Disney amd Universal - busier than when we came in December last year.

With regards weather we have almost noticed the opposite to you. Last year we never had a single storm in an evening....but did have the usual florida early afternoon quick storms. This year we've had no afternoon rain storms, but instead this week every night has been a complete washout.

We tried to do Fantasmic Tuesday, and Friday night and each night there's been a Monsoon storm at around 8pm which has basically wiped the night out...and we've not got chance to see that show, which is a shame.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not really...

Alton Towers about 3 times a year....Thorpe Park and Chessington I live 10 minutes from both so go there all the time, so maybe 7 or 8 times a year each. Blackpool Pleasure Beach twice a year. Drayton Manor is awful so we don't really go their anymore.

As I said, UK parks are far from perfect....but they don't pull the same stunts as Disney. They wouldn't get away with it like Disney do....Disney parks have a unique product, so will always have an endless supply of paying punters.

But if Disney was in the UK charging £120 for a day ticket, they would go out of business if they pulled the same tricks their Orlando parks do
Well again…different audience.

I’ve said for many years - and I used to study them for “some” pay - that wdw customers are the worst customers on the planet.

Not their demeanor…it’s that they do things that Disney uses to hurt them almost on an abusive level.

Like going to a park in January and paying $125 bucks from 9-6 or 7…and then paying $140 more to stay from 7-1…

When 8-11 would do the trick for everyone.
🙄

Thepuma

We don't even have to speculate. We have a Magic Kingdom in Paris. I wouldn't say it's better run than its US counterparts, and people certainly aren't boycotting it.
That's because it's the only option for many in Europe.. its a huge draw because it covers a massive area, many many countries and has the monopoly.

I've been to Paris Disney 3 times in the last 12 months - yes its not perfect, but they don't pull quite the same stunts that DW does. They aren't faultless, but again...they are HALF the price of Orlando Disney Parks and thus, peoples expectations and return from investment are a lot lot lower.

I'll tell you this...IF Paris charged £125 (€150) to get in ONE of their 2 parks or £160 for a park hopper ticket....they would be in massive financial trouble as the park would be avoided by many at that price point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom