Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It’s a great psychological level for them but it’s an actual awful value for most guests if they took the time to do the math.
Once there is a third person in the room, the three 'free' meals every mealtime makes it worth it.

That's why families go crazy over it and it sells out right away.

wannabeBelle

Once there is a third person in the room, the three 'free' meals every mealtime makes it worth it.

That's why families go crazy over it and it sells out right away.
This is definitely not always the case. If there is a room discount offer depending on the resort, room type, percentage of the discount, etc. a room discount might outweigh the savings on the Free Dining offer. There should always be a discussion on this one as each case will be different, based on a number of factors. Good TA's will help with those questions. Marie

Wendy Pleakley

One also has to factor in whether or not they would have actually ate all the same meals without free dining.

If you're adding meals because they're free, then it might be more of a bonus as opposed to savings. Which is fine, it's getting an upgraded experience at the original price.

I've done free dining where I had a sit down meal every day that I wouldn't have otherwise.

I've done a room discount and limited my table service meals. I spent less than if I'd done free dining.

There's no definitive answer as to what is best for each person, but there's things to consider and free dining is always something you get instead of another discount, so it's never "free". It's discounted dining.

Splash4eva

One also has to factor in whether or not they would have actually ate all the same meals without free dining.

If you're adding meals because they're free, then it might be more of a bonus as opposed to savings. Which is fine, it's getting an upgraded experience at the original price.

I've done free dining where I had a sit down meal every day that I wouldn't have otherwise.

I've done a room discount and limited my table service meals. I spent less than if I'd done free dining.

There's no definitive answer as to what is best for each person, but there's things to consider and free dining is always something you get instead of another discount, so it's never "free". It's discounted dining.
Agreed that everyone is different but the loss of the dining plan specifically the deluxe has cost me a pretty penny extra on my trips and thats not even counting the “free” promo i have been lucky to get on many trips…

Jrb1979

This is 100% in play.

It will do nothing to address the actual structural problems of their current model, but it will drive enough business to delay things into the next promotional cycle.

Rinse, repeat.
Agreed. They continue to try to discount their way out of the problem.

Jrb1979

Declining attendance can be offset by increased guest spending... that's what's been happening for a good bit.

But... let's say per-guest spending started showing a sharp decline in two highly profitable segments and one historically significant daypart. Suddenly you have fewer guests, spending less... a trend unique to WDW compared to the rest of the portfolio.

Now you have to address declining park attendance, alarmingly soft hotel bookings for the next 14 months, and declines in guest spending.

The right people are starting to notice. How they choose to address things.
I'm guessing food and merch is the first two. What's the significant daypart?

Wendy Pleakley

Agreed. They continue to try to discount their way out of the problem.

There have always been discounts. This isn't some new technique to compensate for attendance issues, in my opinion.

I suspect it's more about giving people a sense of value, by setting rack rates artificially high.

Jrb1979

There have always been discounts. This isn't some new technique to compensate for attendance issues, in my opinion.

I suspect it's more about giving people a sense of value, by setting rack rates artificially high.
Yes there has been discounts. I don't remember seeing this many. Usually they are directed at Credit card holders, AP holders or recently D+ subscribers. Now for the holidays they have offered a discount for the general public

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
What I'm curious about is, if they a struggling to fill resorts and people attending the parks. Who is buying the Halloween tickets?
Some are those not going to the parks during the day as they would have normally and see the after hours events and parties as a way to go and enjoy it how they used to, without park reservations, genie+, and lower crowds.

Disney has created such a mess some actually prefer to just do after hours events now

Dranth

Yes there has been discounts. I don't remember seeing this many. Usually they are directed at Credit card holders, AP holders or recently D+ subscribers. Now for the holidays they have offered a discount for the general public
They have had public discounts as far back as I can remember. I‘ve used them exclusivity since I started staying on property around 2010. They went away with Covid and came back last year.

Fordlover

Agreed. I’m currently traveling for work thus all meals are on the corporate card, and of course I’ve over eaten all week since I’m not paying. I make very different dining decisions when it hits my bank. I’d also say overeating has not enhanced my trip in any way.

123mart123

Hotels have a significant fixed cost just to be open. The higher the rack rate, the higher the profitability (The higher the free cash generated). Disney used to have an “Embarrassingly high” rack rate. They generated a ton of cash for WDW and the company. DVC is undercutting this badly. Aggressive discounting to get their rack rate is critical for cash flow right now. It’s better to get 70% for a room than 0%.

Their hotels historically (likely) generated their best cash flow at WDW.

Hard to understate the mess they are in from a total corporate free cash flow position.

D+ is a money pit. They are undercutting the studio revenue to feed D+…and WDW is the cash generator keeping them running right now.
It looks ugly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom