Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

wannabeBelle

There's a reason that many companies would try to model Disney. I can't tell you how many places started calling their customers guests. Heck, the last company I worked for had a whole training seminar on why Disney was on different level as a business. So while Disney might not have had a lightbulb taskforce, or repainted the magic kingdom every night. They were considered major trendsetters and many companies wanted to emulate them.
Hence the Disney Institute, where companies would send their employees for training in the Disney Difference. Marie

AEfx

So while Disney might not have had a lightbulb taskforce, or repainted the magic kingdom every night.
Thing is, though - they really did, LOL.

There was a guy who's job it was to walk around at the end of the day and mark down on this little yellow pad what light-bulbs needed to be replaced on the night shift. There were rotating paint crews that used to repaint pretty much everything guests come in contact with outside on a regular basis. Disney used to specifically highlight the latter in their talking points, proud of "the work is never done, once we finish - we start all over!"

And that's not even touching attraction upkeep, where sets and scenes were inspected, repaired, and had preventative maintenance on a daily basis.

I'd love to see @marni1971 's take on this, since he knows the details far better than most of us.

bcoachable

If they are letting people go, they most certainly are slashing budgets meant for maintenance as well. It may be that they know the “lightbulb” should be replaced, “rail needs to be repainted”, or “Sun faded and ripped canopy” repaired- but it’s not currently in the budget.
We need to root for D+, ESPN, and the box office to make more money, before we hope to see any improvements in this area. IMO, of course…

Lilofan

If they are letting people go, they most certainly are slashing budgets meant for maintenance as well. It may be that they know the “lightbulb” should be replaced, “rail needs to be repainted”, or “Sun faded and ripped canopy” repaired- but it’s not currently in the budget.
We need to root for D+, ESPN, and the box office to make more money, before we hope to see any improvements in this area. IMO, of course…
It is interesting that the exec in charge of facilities and maintenance for many years was promoted to his current role - President of WDW.

wannabeBelle

I guess I'd like to know, if WDW Is the golden goose so to speak, I can certainly understand allocating profits to assist other divisions but not at the expense of the Goose. If you want to Goose to keep producing those lovely golden eggs, it has to be taken care of. This is a balancing act for sure (As are most things) but how much is being taken from the Parks and Resorts and given to other areas, to the detriment of Parks and Resorts? Marie

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I get what you're saying, but with all due respect, I don't agree with 'needing to root' for those branches to make more money.

Call me naive, but I think that for the prices we pay to visit, things inside the theme parks and resorts should be kept in tip-top condition. The quality should match the price. It used to be better in that regard, unfortunately, that is not the case anymore. Also imho, of course.

Grimley1968

I get what you're saying, but with all due respect, I don't agree with 'needing to root' for those branches to make more money.

Call me naive, but I think that for the prices we pay to visit, things inside the theme parks and resorts should be kept in tip-top condition. The quality should match the price. It used to be better in that regard, unfortunately, that is not the case anymore. Also imho, of course.

Therein lies the problem, for guests, of Disney's view of WDW as merely a "profit center" of a larger corporation that often has shortfalls in its other divisions.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You don’t want a bizarre plush that looks like carnival game quality of the thirsty alien that listed after Han and Chewbacca?
As was just said, they are "in world" and meant to look like local folk construction. A primitive Etsy. They are dolls made to look like the characters the locals hear about.

If you want Star Wars branded or modern-Earth-tech souvenirs, you get them out of the SWGE park.

Mostly.

bcoachable

💯

Figments Friend

Thought i would add some comments, based on my recent experience checking out dining options.
I already booked most of my choices a month or so ago, but was just curious as to what might still be available for the week i am on Property.
When i originally looked and reserved, just about everything one could want was easily available.
Cindy's Table, Boma, Space 220, Roundup Rodeo, etc.

There were some exceptions, but when i looked the other day all the 'missing' options are now plainly available.
So now everything was listed and up for grabs...with multiple times, and i am three weeks to arrival.
SO much is available to book.
First time seeing this in a long, long, LONG time.
I was surprised.

Sign of the times?

Early Sept dates...week of the 5th
My typical non-peak time to visit.
In the past, booking 60 days in advance shut out most of these options.
This year, all up for grabs.
A sample of what i saw, all of these often challenging to book -

Space 220
Victoria & Alberts
Roundup Rodeo
Sci Fi Dine In
California Grill
Ohana
Boma ( both breakfast and dinner )
Cindy's Royal Table
Be Our Guest
Kona Cafe
Steakhouse 71
Sanaa
San Angel Inn

-

Last edited:

TheMaxRebo

Thought i would add some comments, based on my recent experience checking out dining options.
I already booked most of my choices a month or so ago, but was just curious as to what might still be available for the week i am on Property.
When i originally looked and reserved, just about everything one could want was easily available.
Cindy's Table, Boma, Space 220, Roundup Rodeo, etc.

There were some exceptions, but when i looked the other day all the 'missing' options are now plainly available.
So now everything was listed and up for grabs...with multiple times, and i am three weeks to arrival.
SO much is available to book.
First time seeing this in a long, long, LONG time.
I was surprised.

Sign of the times?

Early Sept dates...week of the 5th
My typical non-peak time to visit.
In the past, booking 60 days in advance shut out most of these options.
This year, all up for grabs.
A sample of what i saw, all of these often challenging to book -

Space 220
Victoria & Alberts
Roundup Rodeo
Sci Fi Dine In
California Grill
Ohana
Boma ( both breakfast and dinner )
Cindy's Royal Table
Be Our Guest
Kona Cafe
Steakhouse 71
Sanaa
San Angel Inn

-

Only one I had any challenges with for booking (we arrive Aug 27) was Storybook Dining - was able to book it but not at exact time we wanted. That is for our arrival day so no 60+ benefit. Just checked and still no other options have opened up beyond the time we have

But otherwise everything was super easy to get

scpergj

I know "family from Denver" is a meme at this point, but honestly, if I lived in Devnver I'd be more likely to visit DLR than WDW.
On vacation last year (Florida people hiking in Colorado….and we enjoyed it) we stopped in Target to pick up water and snacks. First thing we saw was a big Disneyland tickets sign. We thought it made sense since Colorado is closer to California, but then WDW is the ‘larger’ resort….

MaximumEd

Jumping off the maintenance talk earlier, many years ago we were at WDW and I saw a guy walking around with a board with all these little squares of different color paints on it. Being the inquisitive type, I asked him what he was doing. He would look at whatever color a building or roof was painted and compare it to the standard on the board. If it was faded and didn’t match, he wrote it up to be repainted. Thought that was cool and spoke to their attention to detail at the time.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Jumping off the maintenance talk earlier, many years ago we were at WDW and I saw a guy walking around with a board with all these little squares of different color paints on it. Being the inquisitive type, I asked him what he was doing. He would look at whatever color a building or roof was painted and compare it to the standard on the board. If it was faded and didn’t match, he wrote it up to be repainted. Thought that was cool and spoke to their attention to detail at the time.
What if his paint board got faded??...

Jumping Fountains

That was always a myth and it's been proven many, many times. People post old trip photos from the 80s and 90s that show burnt out light bulbs here and there, it happens. Things appeared perfect 30 years ago because you were a kid.

Every time Disney introduces unique merchandise (Galaxy's Edge, Avatar, Tron) everyone cries and complains that it's too expensive.
Yeah, I used the light bulb thing as a reference - can’t speak to its literal truth. Though generally I do think a lot of things aren’t as fresh as they once tended to be, even if it’s just because a lot of the property was just decades newer back then.

I enjoyed stores that felt different from each other. I randomly remember buying a book about Shirley temple at a store at mgm as a kid!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom