Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

TheMaxRebo

That's the thing, people were "tricked" into cord cutting by thinking they could save all kinds of money and get Netflix and drop cable. The issue is that as time went on fewer and fewer content owners were providing content to Netflix because they were launching their own streaming services.

Lets say you want content from Disney, Warner Brothers and Paramount. You need to subscribe to Disney+, MAX and Paramount+ in addition to Netflix if you also like the Netflix originals. Now if you want live sports you need to subscribe to more (like adding ESPN+ to D+). Then, if you drop cable you will likely pay more for internet access because if you had internet service from your cable provider you were getting a bundle discount on it.

By the time all is said and done you end up saving little, if anything but have your content spread across multiple platforms. If somebody has a way, please tell me how I can quickly flip between a football game on Fox and a game on CBS after I cut the cord?

I still have DirecTV satellite service. I can stream through their app and, although I have never done it, I can watch my DVR recordings. My subscription allows me to stream sports from the ESPN, NBCSports or Foxsports apps (live or replay if the app has replay). I have MAX as part of my subscription, Paramount+ as a Walmart+ benefit and Netflix as a T-Mobile benefit.

I'm old school and new school simultaneously. I just haven't been able to make a compelling case to drop DirecTV and then subscribe to everything I would need to subscribe to for the content I want.

I am similar - every time I look into it I find I would need at least two separate TV streaming services to get the channels/content I want plus lose our in the internet bundle price. And every time I call asking about what the internet only price is they give me a new deal/discount.

So between it being questionable if I would even save anything combined with hassle of switching and ease of just switching channels, we keep cable and supplement with a couple of streaming service

celluloid

That's the thing, people were "tricked" into cord cutting by thinking they could save all kinds of money and get Netflix and drop cable. The issue is that as time went on fewer and fewer content owners were providing content to Netflix because they were launching their own streaming services.

Lets say you want content from Disney, Warner Brothers and Paramount. You need to subscribe to Disney+, MAX and Paramount+ in addition to Netflix if you also like the Netflix originals. Now if you want live sports you need to subscribe to more (like adding ESPN+ to D+). Then, if you drop cable you will likely pay more for internet access because if you had internet service from your cable provider you were getting a bundle discount on it.

By the time all is said and done you end up saving little, if anything but have your content spread across multiple platforms. If somebody has a way, please tell me how I can quickly flip between a football game on Fox and a game on CBS after I cut the cord?

I still have DirecTV satellite service. I can stream through their app and, although I have never done it, I can watch my DVR recordings. My subscription allows me to stream sports from the ESPN, NBCSports or Foxsports apps (live or replay if the app has replay). I have MAX as part of my subscription, Paramount+ as a Walmart+ benefit and Netflix as a T-Mobile benefit.

I'm old school and new school simultaneously. I just haven't been able to make a compelling case to drop DirecTV and then subscribe to everything I would need to subscribe to for the content I want.
This is truth.

Particularly, it has gotten worse as the on demand anytime factor of streaming has dwindled with many as ad plans are there if you want to keep ad supported plans are now a thing with most of the individual studio streaming platforms.
Movie instant premium ones that do not have their own are an extra five dollar a month charge each.

We just reinvented cable requiring our own internet plans.

Br0ckford

Premium Member
I am similar - every time I look into it I find I would need at least two separate TV streaming services to get the channels/content I want plus lose our in the internet bundle price. And every time I call asking about what the internet only price is they give me a new deal/discount.

So between it being questionable if I would even save anything combined with hassle of switching and ease of just switching channels, we keep cable and supplement with a couple of streaming service
But statistics

JD80

I guess you can do that. If too many people do that I would expect that in the future there will be a price per month for a one year agreement and then a higher price if you want to go monthly and cancel at any time. It will be marketed as a "discount" for a full year subscription.

Some services have done 1-year promo deals and such.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

It is still more advantageous to keep the cable with the high speed than dumping it.

And that clever Comcast…they give me 2 streams included…plus their app.

And they’re redoing their kids zone too 😎

Trauma

And that’s exactly why the streams may never make money

Paramount plus sent out a recent notice “you can continue to enjoy your premium access for only $119.99 per year”

The year is the important part
I got an email from Paramount yesterday saying they where raising my price by $1.

I forgot I was even subscribed.

I just went to the subscriptions thing on my IPhone and canceled.

Looks like they shouldn’t have sent me an email.

James Alucobond

My problem with cable (or at least my local cable provider) is that there’s no pricing transparency. They wrap everything in packages to sell to you, and then they just gradually increase the price ad infinitum. There are price increases with streaming, but they are broadcast ahead of time and communicated effectively. With my cable provider, they refused to even tell me what the “maximum” price for their service was absent a package deal.

bcoachable

That’s a huge sticking point on forums. Listen…I’m hard here. You kinda have to be or it becomes just silly. Dominated by adults acting like silly children that schill…

But that “I’m special!” Is just nuts. He lied For CYA. Nothing more or less. And there’s nothing - now or ever - to stop it.

That’s not even a possibility. They can’t cut their gate and make money. The profit is in the stuff sold quickly to the masses. It’s not a Halloween party…it’s what the people in it buy. Not that night…for the week. Volume. It’s a volume construct.

This nonsense needs to stop. It’s already resulted in parks that are aging and more and more a platform of micro transactions per day that look tacky.

The reason Disney parks are what they are is you got MORE than you could get elsewhere lb for lb. The attendance won’t rebound if it’s: this is what you get…just buy the name and pay more next time.

No
No
No

Bobism has been exposed. This is what the downward turn looks like. It’s happened. It’s affecting all their business.
Really well stated.
Why, if it’s all about getting people INSIDE so they Buy stuff, did/do they not expand the parks in such a way that they hold can hold more people comfortably?
I get that the attempt
With magic bands and fast passes were meant to distribute crowds better - but that investment proved a failure, no?

celluloid

Difference is that you don't need to stay subscribed to each service all year long. Many people sub and unsub once they watch what they want. I know a lot of people who'll sign up for D+ for a month, watch all the new stuff, then unsubscribe. Same with Apple, MAX or whatever.

These apps make it pretty easy to do so.

That will be one of the next changes just as others have.

Contract or pay by the year.

Trauma

Yeah…streams have become the new gym memberships

I think if they just charge $9.99 a month and never raise it they’ll do much better in the long run 😂
They need to find a way to make it harder to cancel.

I would have canceled D+ long ago but it get it for free with Hulu.

I never watched a single show on Hulu but it’s how I get live sports.

I guess you won’t cancel things once it’s free with ad tier but I doubt I will find myself watching anything beyond sports that contains commercials.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They need to find a way to make it harder to cancel.

I would have canceled D+ long ago but it get it for free with Hulu.

I never watched a single show on Hulu but it’s how I get live sports.

I guess you won’t cancel things once it’s free with ad tier but I doubt I will find myself watching anything beyond sports that contains commercials.
Oh no no…it’s never gonna be “free” with ads or not. Bob NEVER signed up for that
It’s gonna be “basic” at high cost and “premium” at 90’s cable package prices

People underestimate just how awful the streaming numbers are as far as cost and return.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Until MLB NFL and others start broadcasting all games outside of cable, there will always be holdouts. In CT, you need NESN if you are a Sox fan and its only available through cable
The leagues are all gonna transition to DTC as soon as contractually possible and better money. No doubt

And I’m boycotting nesn until it doesn’t feature losses to Oakland

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Really well stated.
Why, if it’s all about getting people INSIDE so they Buy stuff, did/do they not expand the parks in such a way that they hold can hold more people comfortably?
I get that the attempt
With magic bands and fast passes were meant to distribute crowds better - but that investment proved a failure, no?
They became obsessed decades ago with controlling labor down to the penny. So any park expansion and they come up with elaborate charts that show it will cost them so much in overhead bleed.

But a lot of it is the reduction in brick and mortar retail sales as well. Two big parts of that is the ease of shopping at home and the Airlines whacking people for baggage. I can’t even imagine how many billions in sales Disney has lost since that started? A lot. If you pack stuff you get hit with a $75 surcharge.

New parks are a non-starter…that’s been known since dak.

Minnesota disney fan

How long have we heard cable is going to die tho? Call me old school but i have zero streaming services & have no interest in ever getting any of the what seems like countless ones out there…
I have both. Our basic package has many, many channels available. We watch about 70% cable and 30% for Netflix, Prime, and Roku channels. I also have internet service with the company. They said that if we quit our package and wanted to start again with the basic package, it would only have 4 channels and cost more. !!!! So we are keeping it. I like having both.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom