Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Interesting segment on Morning Joe right now: In 2015, 80% of US households had cable TV service and only 52% subscribed to a streaming service. Today, 78% of US households subscribe to a streaming service and only 40% maintain cable service. While hardline TV (cable/satellite) aren't yet sunsetting, TV content distribution has completely inverted in less than 8 years.
Interesting.

It’s not surprising how my Hulu live subscription is beginning to cost the same as my cable used to however. Saw that one coming.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Interesting segment on Morning Joe right now: In 2015, 80% of US households had cable TV service and only 52% subscribed to a streaming service. Today, 78% of US households subscribe to a streaming service and only 40% maintain cable service. While hardline TV (cable/satellite) aren't yet sunsetting, TV content distribution has completely inverted in less than 8 years.
Those numbers are almost completely damning that streaming will ever make significant money.

Which is exactly why they’re trying to get the guilds to work…not for minimums…for no residuals. For free…in a nutshell.

Shhhh they were hoping nobody would notice. Subscriptions will follow the same as cable if the pricing continues to rise.
More…and for some reason the emperors guard have completely forgotten the reason people rebelled against cable - even decades before they had an alternative - was the PRICE

Smugpugmug

You will enjoy Turkey. Istanbul is a very fascinating city , a foodie lovers dream. If you have a stamped visit to Israel on your passport you will have a problem entering Turkey as an FYI.
Sounds great! I don't so no worries there. I hope the trip happens.
I would be interested to see these statistics broken up into age groups. I know absolutely no one my age (mid 20s) that has cable.

scottieRoss

Streaming has its place for sure. Will cable completely die? No. I have 2 Streaming services. Netflix and D+ Son watches Netflix, if not for that it'd be gone. D+ has all my Dis faves and Star Wars and Marvel in one place. If traveling, yes can watch that stuff easily on my phone or tablet. But at home, when I veg out on my couch, cable is where it's at. Just need to channel surf. No switching apps. Old fashioned? Maybe, but there will always be people like me. Cable for eva......
Getting Old Baby Boomers GIF by MOODMAN
But the statistics do not agree with you. I was a cable TV junkie with every channel I could get. My cable bill was $200 month.
Now I have YouTubeTV, a couple of streaming services and pay less than $100 month. It just was not worth the extra $100 a month.

Attachments

• cable.png
    cable.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 40

scottieRoss

Sounds like it is crashing even faster than predicted.

FigmentFan82

It’s not enough, costs too much, and doesn’t have the market captive as cable always did

None of those things are changing…it will only become more of a thorn in the side.

But you think Disney paid like a trillion dollars for their servers…so that is the only issue…

…lol, lol, lol…

The industry has been revealing what the problem is with stream for years. And remember they’re all greedy and like money. If they could spin it…they would.

6 episodes every 18 months of Mando for $50 a month and Palmolive ads?

…that sounds “reasonable” for far too many in these talks.
The thing Disney+ has an advantage on as opposed to most all other content aside from some very popular outliers, is that all the pricey content - Star Wars, Marvel, etc - can be further monetized by merch. I have 2 small kids. They've never seen Mando. but they both have more than one outfit with Grogu on it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The thing Disney+ has an advantage on as opposed to most all other content aside from some very popular outliers, is that all the pricey content - Star Wars, Marvel, etc - can be further monetized by merch. I have 2 small kids. They've never seen Mando. but they both have more than one outfit with Grogu on it.
The entire point of Disneys business for decades has been to cross sell.

Pre Bob:
1. Get people into park, sell high profit stuff
Post Bob:
1. Overcharge for every product to “retain the customer”…sell less high profit stuff, turn people away

You can repeat that up and down the board. Every product and soon to be D+

The problem is all Bob defenders forgot it takes time to wreck it.

Because attendance was high in 2018…you can charge whatever!!!
Or they were slowing breaking it. The psychology behind it.

FigmentFan82

The entire point of Disneys business for decades has been to cross sell.

Pre Bob:
1. Get people into park, sell high profit stuff
Post Bob:
1. Overcharge for every product to “retain the customer”…sell less high profit stuff, turn people away

You can repeat that up and down the board. Every product and soon to be D+

The problem is all Bob defenders forgot it takes time to wreck it.

Because attendance was high in 2018…you can charge whatever!!!
Or they were slowing breaking it. The psychology behind it.
I'm not defending Bob. But isn't the merch machine still in full swing?

I don't see anything outside of parks to suggest a Disney Lego set or Mickey sweatshirt from Target has been priced out of consumers reach.

Disney has soooo many licensees.

DisneyCane

Interesting.

It’s not surprising how my Hulu live subscription is beginning to cost the same as my cable used to however. Saw that one coming.
That's the thing, people were "tricked" into cord cutting by thinking they could save all kinds of money and get Netflix and drop cable. The issue is that as time went on fewer and fewer content owners were providing content to Netflix because they were launching their own streaming services.

Lets say you want content from Disney, Warner Brothers and Paramount. You need to subscribe to Disney+, MAX and Paramount+ in addition to Netflix if you also like the Netflix originals. Now if you want live sports you need to subscribe to more (like adding ESPN+ to D+). Then, if you drop cable you will likely pay more for internet access because if you had internet service from your cable provider you were getting a bundle discount on it.

By the time all is said and done you end up saving little, if anything but have your content spread across multiple platforms. If somebody has a way, please tell me how I can quickly flip between a football game on Fox and a game on CBS after I cut the cord?

I still have DirecTV satellite service. I can stream through their app and, although I have never done it, I can watch my DVR recordings. My subscription allows me to stream sports from the ESPN, NBCSports or Foxsports apps (live or replay if the app has replay). I have MAX as part of my subscription, Paramount+ as a Walmart+ benefit and Netflix as a T-Mobile benefit.

I'm old school and new school simultaneously. I just haven't been able to make a compelling case to drop DirecTV and then subscribe to everything I would need to subscribe to for the content I want.

Gringrinngghost

Can't for the life of me figure out why...

JD80

That's the thing, people were "tricked" into cord cutting by thinking they could save all kinds of money and get Netflix and drop cable. The issue is that as time went on fewer and fewer content owners were providing content to Netflix because they were launching their own streaming services.

Lets say you want content from Disney, Warner Brothers and Paramount. You need to subscribe to Disney+, MAX and Paramount+ in addition to Netflix if you also like the Netflix originals. Now if you want live sports you need to subscribe to more (like adding ESPN+ to D+). Then, if you drop cable you will likely pay more for internet access because if you had internet service from your cable provider you were getting a bundle discount on it.

By the time all is said and done you end up saving little, if anything but have your content spread across multiple platforms. If somebody has a way, please tell me how I can quickly flip between a football game on Fox and a game on CBS after I cut the cord?

I still have DirecTV satellite service. I can stream through their app and, although I have never done it, I can watch my DVR recordings. My subscription allows me to stream sports from the ESPN, NBCSports or Foxsports apps (live or replay if the app has replay). I have MAX as part of my subscription, Paramount+ as a Walmart+ benefit and Netflix as a T-Mobile benefit.

I'm old school and new school simultaneously. I just haven't been able to make a compelling case to drop DirecTV and then subscribe to everything I would need to subscribe to for the content I want.

Difference is that you don't need to stay subscribed to each service all year long. Many people sub and unsub once they watch what they want. I know a lot of people who'll sign up for D+ for a month, watch all the new stuff, then unsubscribe. Same with Apple, MAX or whatever.

These apps make it pretty easy to do so.

DisneyCane

Difference is that you don't need to stay subscribed to each service all year long. Many people sub and unsub once they watch what they want. I know a lot of people who'll sign up for D+ for a month, watch all the new stuff, then unsubscribe. Same with Apple, MAX or whatever.

I guess you can do that. If too many people do that I would expect that in the future there will be a price per month for a one year agreement and then a higher price if you want to go monthly and cancel at any time. It will be marketed as a "discount" for a full year subscription.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sounds great! I don't so no worries there. I hope the trip happens.

I would be interested to see these statistics broken up into age groups. I know absolutely no one my age (mid 20s) that has cable.
Cable viewing is significantly weighted older…as demonstrated by the ratings and ad revenue still generated

It will become more so by the day and then go over the cliff with the boom.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

And that’s exactly why the streams may never make money

Paramount plus sent out a recent notice “you can continue to enjoy your premium access for only $119.99 per year”

The year is the important part

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom