Is Art of Animation really a Value Resort?

ParentsOf4

The official WDW website indicates the following prices for June 2012:

Port Orleans Riverside - $190/night
Caribbean Beach Resort - $190/night
All Star Music Suite - $295/night
Fort Wilderness Cabins - $340/night
Art of Animation - $345/night

At these prices, the new AoA hardly seems like a "Value Resort". I realize the AoA sleeps 6 but so do the Cabins which are classified as a "Moderate Resort". Frankly, I'd rather get 2 rooms at one of the Moderate Resorts at these prices. Any thoughts why the rooms are so expensive at AoA?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It's for a Family Suite, and during the summer season. Looking at the Fall 2012 season, the price drops down to $265/night.....

Upvote 0

G00fyDad

At these prices, the new AoA harly seems like a "Value Resort". I realize the AoA sleeps 6 but so does the Cabins which are classified as a "Moderate Resort". Frankly, I'd rather get 2 rooms at one of the Moderate Resorts at these prices. Any thoughts why the rooms are so expensive at AoA?

AoA are new suites so the price is a lot higher. Once the Little Mermaid rooms open they will be closer to the standard Value rooms. Although they will be slightly higher for at least the first year they are open.

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

At these prices, the new AoA harly seems like a "Value Resort". I realize the AoA sleeps 6 but so does the Cabins which are classified as a "Moderate Resort". Frankly, I'd rather get 2 rooms at one of the Moderate Resorts at these prices. Any thoughts why the rooms are so expensive at AoA?

Heck yes, I agree. This way you have 2 full baths....or will the suite have this also???

Upvote 0

bgraham34

Building a new resort costs money and they are going to charge you for that. If they feel that price point is too high they will lower it.

This is also essentially two rooms not one so in comparison the price is pretty spot on.

Upvote 0

SMS55

It's a new hotel so they can ask alot because alot of people want to stay there because it's new. They can get away with it until the fever wears off. I'll stay across the lake at POP. I am fine with it.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It's a new hotel so they can ask alot because alot of people want to stay there because it's new. They can get away with it until the fever wears off. I'll stay across the lake at POP. I am fine with it.
This. If and when the shine wears off of AoA the prices will fall in line with the other values. However, I do not see this happening anytime soon. I think AoA's location and over the top decor will keep it popular for quite some time.

Upvote 0

sbkline

Doesn't the Art of Animation Resort also have regular rooms? Isn't that price just for the family suites? What is the price for a regular room?

Upvote 0

fosse76

Of course that's your perogative, but when you choose to stay at a Disney resort, you are paying for a lot more than just a hotel room.

True. You're paying for DME and the busses, whether or not you use them. And no, you are not "paying" for EME, since EME have no monetary value.

Upvote 0

sbkline

True. You're paying for DME and the busses, whether or not you use them. And no, you are not "paying" for EME, since EME have no monetary value.

Disney has to pay for utilities to operate the parks for those extra 3 hours, in addition to having to pay wages for all the CMs working in the park for the extra hours. So I would imagine that the price of our hotel would take into account those added expenses, whether we choose to participate in EMH or not.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!

Not paying, per say, but it is certainly one of the perks of staying on property, along with DME, free parking at the the theme parks, the ability to use a room charge, etc.

Upvote 0

COProgressFan

The purpose of the original posting was to compare the prices of other WDW Resorts with AoA. By this standard, AoA costs as much as many Moderate Resorts, at least in the month of June 2012. It's been suggested that this is because AoA is new and Disney is charging a premium for this. Again, this appears to be another example of "whatever the market will bear". Time will tell if the price drops to be in line with other WDW Value Resorts. Somehow I doubt it will if occupancy rates at AoA remain unusually high.

I think there is a pretty good demand for these types of suites, but as others have pointed out, if you could get 2 moderate resort rooms for less, I'm not sure what the benefit would be. And there is also the fact that the "over the top" resort and room decor may be a turn off for many people.

In essence, like most of the resorts on property in the past several years, I expect there will be some kind of discount (AP, Fl resident, free dining, or general public) available for the majority of the year.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

By this standard, AoA costs as much as many Moderate Resorts, at least in the month of June 2012.

Here are the rates, AoA standard rooms are only slightly higher than Pop Century on weekends, and still less than moderate resorts.

June 2012:

Pop Century
Standard room, weekday = $139
Standard room, weekend = $159

All-Star Music Family Suites
weekday rate = $295
weekend rate = $345

AoA
Standard room, weekday rate = $139
Standard room, weekend rate = $164
Family Suite, weekday rate = $345
Family Suite, weekend rate = $395

Caribbean Beach (moderate resort)
Standard room, weekday rate = $190
Standard room, weekend rate = $205

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

You fail to mention the most economical choice - 2 standard rooms at a value resort.

You also fail to take into account the kitchen facilities in a Cabin or the Suites.

In other words, this isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Upvote 0

kittybubbles

I would think that AoA is a value since (I assume) there is no slide at the pool and the bus stop will be uncovered (with dedicated que's for each bus).

In other words the classification is based on amenities and not price.

The Cabins at least have an option of a boat ride to the MK as well as bicycle/boat rentals.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom