Is anything big coming after the FLE?

IowaHawks7

Original Poster
I have heard that Hollywood Studios, Epcot, and Animal Kingdom were all originally supposed to get a new E ticket in the early 2000's. Whatever happened to that idea and is anything big going to happen to these parks after the FLE?

Vernonpush

Well, in 2003 Epcot got Mission: Space. In 2005 Studios got Lights, Motors, Action, and a year later AK got Expedition Everest.

I guess those were the E-tickets in the early 2000's.:shrug:

AEfx

Well, in 2003 Epcot got Mission: Space. In 2005 Studios got Lights, Motors, Action, and a year later AK got Expedition Everest.

I guess those were the E-tickets in the early 2000's.:shrug:

ROFL.

Wow, really puts things in perspective when you think those are the last 3 "big" things added - one a truncated version of what they were going to do and when they did build it that they had to change because it made people sick, a stunt show that is a huge people-eater but has it's own operational problems and, personally with everyone I know, a severe lack of repeat value, and a ride who's major feature and advertising was based around a broken portion that hasn't been fixed almost five years later.

I take back my ROFL. I'm definitely not a Disney-naysayer, but that's just sad.

comics101

ROFL.

Wow, really puts things in perspective when you think those are the last 3 "big" things added - one a truncated version of what they were going to do and when they did build it that they had to change because it made people sick, a stunt show that is a huge people-eater but has it's own operational problems and, personally with everyone I know, a severe lack of repeat value, and a ride who's major feature and advertising was based around a broken portion that hasn't been fixed almost five years later.

I take back my ROFL. I'm definitely not a Disney-naysayer, but that's just sad.

Although LMA and M:S aren't what I'd call E-ticket attractions, I would argue if BTM or Space Mtn is an E than so is Everest, but I guess that depends on who you talk to (though I would guess most agree that Everst, BTM, and Space Mtn are all E-tickets). Everest really is the last E-ticket added to WDW within the last 6 years though, unless you count Soarin, though idk if that really qualifies as an E-ticket attraction. That's really just plain sad...I would think every 3-4 years at least one park should add an E-ticket attraction or some form of major expansion along the lines of the FLE, though perhaps that's wishful thinking, and I really don't know how E-ticket additions have worked in the past.

TestTrack

Although LMA and M:S aren't what I'd call E-ticket attractions, I would argue if BTM or Space Mtn is an E than so is Everest, but I guess that depends on who you talk to (though I would guess most agree that Everst, BTM, and Space Mtn are all E-tickets). Everest really is the last E-ticket added to WDW within the last 6 years though, unless you count Soarin, though idk if that really qualifies as an E-ticket attraction. That's really just plain sad...I would think every 3-4 years at least one park should add an E-ticket attraction or some form of major expansion along the lines of the FLE, though perhaps that's wishful thinking, and I really don't know how E-ticket additions have worked in the past.

IMO as sad as it is TSM is more of an e-ticket than soarin...I just don't understand the hype behind that ride...

Mission: Space sure does get crapped on a lot here...Personally it and everest are the two best new attractions I've seen come to Disney in a long time. I wish the ending of Mission space felt a little more "real" but the entire experience was fun.

TP2000

IMO as sad as it is TSM is more of an e-ticket than soarin...I just don't understand the hype behind that ride...

It's the subject matter shoehorned in to Epcot that's probably not impressing you.

In DCA, Soarin' Over California (the ride's title in that park), makes a heck of a lot more sense. The themed environment of a high-desert airfield test facility the ride building inhabits next to an aviation test-pilot themed restaurant and an airfield themed gift shop, plus a queue that honors California's long aviation history, plays up the whole thing and creates a great vibe that gets the attraction firing on all 8 cylinders.

In Epcot, if you think about it too much, it kind of feels shoehorned in with a modern airport theme that's oddly connected to the rest of The Land pavilion.

If and when they shoot a new movie with Epcot in mind, the Soarin' ride system will make for a fabulous addition to Epcot's already excellent roster of major attractions.

But with the attraction in Epcot right now a direct clone of the DCA original meant to be the signature attraction of its own airfield themed land in a California park, it isn't quite a perfect fit for its Epcot pavilion.

flavious27

It's the subject matter shoehorned in to Epcot that's probably not impressing you.

In DCA, Soarin' Over California (the ride's title in that park), makes a heck of a lot more sense. The themed environment of a high-desert airfield test facility the ride building inhabits next to an aviation test-pilot themed restaurant and an airfield themed gift shop, plus a queue that honors California's long aviation history, plays up the whole thing and creates a great vibe that gets the attraction firing on all 8 cylinders.

In Epcot, if you think about it too much, it kind of feels shoehorned in with a modern airport theme that's oddly connected to the rest of The Land pavilion.

If and when they shoot a new movie with Epcot in mind, the Soarin' ride system will make for a fabulous addition to Epcot's already excellent roster of major attractions.

But with the attraction in Epcot right now a direct clone of the DCA original meant to be the signature attraction of its own airfield themed land in a California park, it isn't quite a perfect fit for its Epcot pavilion.

When if soarin was just over different natural landmarks showing the land, it does fit into the land.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
When if soarin was just over different natural landmarks showing the land, it does fit into the land.
It was a bit of a push though, clips of land so it must go into The Land. That and a cheap clone for the DL 50th Celebratory attraction sharing.

Funny how a Soarin' derivative was originally planned for World Showcase until a quick and easy way of transforming the FW pavilion was decreed to be in more need.

flavious27

It was a bit of a push though, clips of land so it must go into The Land. That and a cheap clone for the DL 50th Celebratory attraction sharing.

Funny how a Soarin' derivative was originally planned for World Showcase until a quick and easy way of transforming the FW pavilion was decreed to be in more need.

All they need to do to update the ride is a new video, it won't cost them that much with the ride system already in place.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
All they need to do to update the ride is a new video, it won't cost them that much with the ride system already in place.
It isn`t exactly a 'video'. Omnimax films cost a small fortune to produce, more so ones containing aerial footage.

There are plans, but I dare say we'll see the WDSP version opening first....

flavious27

It isn`t exactly a 'video'. Omnimax films cost a small fortune to produce, more so ones containing aerial footage.

There are plans, but I dare say we'll see the WDSP version opening first....

So it will be 2 or 3 million to produce, wdw can sell in flight photos for a year and recoup those costs.

aka_emilicious

Side question: Does anyone know why they filmed Disneyland at Christmas time for the film? My only thought would be that perhaps it's better lit because of the decorations for filming, but I don't know.

mp2bill

I would love to see an actual Toontown (like the one in DL) somewhere at WDW. I actually mocked up a layout one day when I was bored. Since I don't know how to upload photos to my posts (when I click the "insert image" icon above, it never uploads correctly), here's a link to the picture on my Flickr page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/51503646@N03/5520908353/sizes/l/in/photostream/

In any case, here's a little explanation of the photo...The red line is a reconfiguration of the Tomorrowland Speedway, which would actually be redesigned as a Cars Speedway. I also thought it'd be kind of cool to incorporate a hidden mickey into a ride, so that's what the thing is on the right side of the picture. :) Also, I took the exact footprint of the Toontown in DL, but rotated the large building on the east side (I believe that it is Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin; otherwise, it would have intruded on the Speedway.

Lastly, the biggest problem would be what to do with the WDW Railroad. I figured 1 of 2 things could happen...they could 1) reroute it to go around Space Mountain (but then they'd have to reroute North World Drive and whatever those ponds are) or 2) build a train crossing in Toontown and have it permanently staffed as well as building a bridge (or tunnel) into the Cars Speedway where the train passes.

Unfortunately, I doubt anything like this will ever happen and/or if it ever does, it'll be years and years since they're already restructuring that area with the FLE. What does everybody else think?

So it will be 2 or 3 million to produce, wdw can sell in flight photos for a year and recoup those costs.

Bigger issue than cost from what I understand is Imagineering wants certain places in the film...however some of the places are in countries that Disney has to bargain with to be allowed to fly over the landmarks they want to.

TP2000

Side question: Does anyone know why they filmed Disneyland at Christmas time for the film? My only thought would be that perhaps it's better lit because of the decorations for filming, but I don't know.

Yeah, all the Christmas decorations on Main Street, with the Christmas parade staged there on purpose (it's not moving, ever notice that?) and the lights on the Small World facade add to the spectacle.

It might have just been a happy coincidence that they needed to film it at Christmastime, but with the stationary parade sitting there that makes me think they chose that timing on purpose for the extra decorative lighting and sparkle.

TP2000

Wow, that is a shame. Was it planned for a specific country, or as a Soarin' Over The World type collection of places? If you tell me it was going to be a Soarin' Over America patriotic spectacular for an expansion of the American pavilion, I might die. :(

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Wow, that is a shame. Was it planned for a specific country, or as a Soarin' Over The World type collection of places? If you tell me it was going to be a Soarin' Over America patriotic spectacular for an expansion of the American pavilion, I might die. :(
I`ve never nailed down how it would have fitted into the WS. There again, from Germany, some might say it is in WS!

Cosmic Commando

Maybe the shiny things onstage at Christmas keep your eyes off of any backstage things that they don't want you to see? Maybe not an issue at night, but maybe they were concerned about that. It also ends the film at the end of the year the same way that the film goes from day to evening to nighttime.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom