Is a January 20, 2014 opening date for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train possible???

SJN1279

You may be right.
In the short term, however, Gringotts is going to kick seven butts for a while.

And it will be the last huge bullet in the Potter gun. Outside of Potter, Universal hasn't been able to compete with Disney. Islands of Adventure was arguably the most amazing theme park in the world when it opened, yet it didn't even make a dent over at the Mouse House. Peter Jackson's Kong, Danny Devito's The Lorax, and a Jurrassic Park mine train will not put any fear into Disney, especially when they have Star Wars in their back pocket.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
And it will be the last huge bullet in the Potter gun. Outside of Potter, Universal hasn't been able to compete with Disney. Islands of Adventure was arguably the most amazing theme park in the world when it opened, yet it didn't even make a dent over at the Mouse House. Peter Jackson's Kong, Danny Devito's The Lorax, and a Jurrassic Park mine train will not put any fear into Disney, especially when they have Star Wars in their back pocket.
Yep, that's why I said "for a while".
Uni is still a 2 day trip of 12 or 14 for us. It may become 3 days, but not any more than that.

jdmdisney99

I get what you're saying, problem is that's probably where Disney will keep Star Wars in relation to WDW for a while (at least until after the new trilogy).

LucyK

I think you have that reversed. WWoHP is going to eclipse the mine train. Disney isn't going to be lucky to get a few months of having the mine train open before the unfortunate comparisons start being made to Gringotts.

This is not to say I am not excited about the mine train -- visually, it will be a fantastic addition to fantasyland -- but it is not in the same league as Gringotts.
Oh, I totally agree! WWoHP will blow 7DTM out of the water. My comment was more in how Disney will try to lure everyone back to their resort with the new coaster (and fail terrible at it).

I can't say I'm not excited about 7DTM, it'll be a great new attraction if they don't dumb it down to the point that it becomes a new Barnstormer, but nothing will be bigger or better than WWoHP phase two.

AndyMagic

King Kong and Jurassic Park will both open before a Star Wars expansion. By the time any significant addition to DHS is built, Universal will have PLENTY of other projects in the works. Disney has a plethora of properties in their "back pocket" but the glacial pace in which they pull them out of their pocket is the problem.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The one thing the Mine Train will have that Gringotts will not is timeless appeal. A family coaster based on a classic story with animatronics and well known music throughout will be a very popular addition to the US's most theme park for generations to come.

On the flip side, human actors age an attraction very quickly, and Gringotts will be relying on second and third tier characters from the Harry Potter film series to carry the ride's storyline. I don't see the ride having the same lasting appeal as the Seven Dwarves Mine Train.

I think the statement "A family coaster based on a classic story with animatronics and well known music throughout will be a very popular addition to the US's most theme park for generations to come" may also end up being applicable to Gringotts. Rumors are that it will have animatronics, that it will not be to intense so families will be able to ride it, and it has a very memorable score. It's yet to be seen if Harry Potter will truely become a classic story, but at this point there is little reason to believe that it won't stand the test of time.

BigTxEars

I say let Universal and Disney battle it out, we win in the long run :) spent a week at Universal in June 2013, at the Hard Rock. Was good but a week is too long at Universal IMO, can't say the same for WDW where we will be this June :)

SJN1279

I think the statement "A family coaster based on a classic story with animatronics and well known music throughout will be a very popular addition to the US's most theme park for generations to come" may also end up being applicable to Gringotts. Rumors are that it will have animatronics, that it will not be to intense so families will be able to ride it, and it has a very memorable score. It's yet to be seen if Harry Potter will truely become a classic story, but at this point there is little reason to believe that it won't stand the test of time.

What will hurt Gringotts is the use of live actors. That instantly dates an attraction. Also the fact that it is a Harry Potter attraction without Harry Potter(or any main characters from that series).

PhotoDave219

Has anyone else heard this date as the projected opening for the SDMT???? This was given by a cast member on the reservations line. I, myself, have tried trick them into giving secret info but someone who recently booked claims that they confirmed the date. I haven't seen this anywhere else. Have you??

Nope.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What will hurt Gringotts is the use of live actors. That instantly dates an attraction. Also the fact that it is a Harry Potter attraction without Harry Potter(or any main characters from that series).

Terminator 3D uses live actors in the video portion and it is still very popular, Uni is even putting money into updating the technology in theatre. I also don't think we know for sure yet which characters will appear in the ride.

bhg469

King Kong and Jurassic Park will both open before a Star Wars expansion. By the time any significant addition to DHS is built, Universal will have PLENTY of other projects in the works. Disney has a plethora of properties in their "back pocket" but the glacial pace in which they pull them out of their pocket is the problem.
And now universal has a value resort with what looks like it will be what disney would consider a moderate.

Those pockets are going to be too little or too late.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom