Inviting parents...should we treat?

DisneyFan1003

Looking for some advice - we just got home and have already planned our next two trips! My wife and I are going in January for a long weekend without the baby and are going to take her in December 2011 for her 2nd birthday.

We are thinking of inviting my parents to join us next December. They've never been to Disney and we'd love to show them around for their first trip PLUS let them be there to see our daughter experience it for the first time (well, she just got back, but at only 7 months, we'll say this next trip will be the "official" first trip!). We'd also like to have them there to help us out with her and give us some time to ourselves. They're not big theme park people - have a cabin in Northern MI and that is where they vacation - so we know they won't mind taking her back in the afternoon for a nap/swim.

Here's the question - should we "treat" for all/part of the trip since it's not their "thing" and we'll be asking them to help out while we're there? We're DVC members, so accommodations will be covered under our points, but we're wondering if we should pay for their park passes, etc. as a "thank you". Trying to figure it out before we ask them but wanted some input.

Thanks!!

LordHelmut

Part of it would 'depend'

Can you (financially) Assuming yes, then certainly. I can only guess that your parents did something right that you've ended up at a point in your life where you've got DVC, kids, and a lot to be thankful for....

However, if this would put you in a bind.... then no.

One word of caution, which I have had to repeat to myself. Not everyone gets Disney, nor do they want to.... The time of year (you already know) plays a huge part of the perception.

My parents, would not take a free trip, free dining, and concierge level during the summer/while school is out. The crowds, wait times, and general chaos are all huge turn offs.

Upvote 0

nolatron

Wife and I brought her mom with us to WDW last year with our 20 month old daughter. Mother-in-law didn't go to the parks (she wanted to simply relax at the hotel during the day), but we offered to pay for her room/food/etc... since she was basically acting as our night time babysitter a couple nights during of the trip.

I would probably make the offer to pay for their expenses since you have an expectation of them babysitting for you and since it may not be their idea of vacation normally.

My $0.02.

Upvote 0

Tater48

If you could afford to treat them, then you definitely should. At the risk of sounding cliche, and old school, think back and remember what all they have done for you through the years. I know if my parents were still here on earth with us, we would treat them once a year to a trip to WDW, if for nothing else, to spend some quality time with them. They wouldn't ride anything, but they would walk the parks with us, and these are memories that will last a lifetime. Do this while you still can. Just my .02

Upvote 0

Mukta

Yes, you should treat for all of it.
What a special opportunity to invite your parents along and treat them. I'm sure you feel lucky to spend that time with them and your daughter.
On a side note, I took my Mom (non-Disney person) on the Behind the Seeds Tour. She loved it! Try to find non-theme-parky thingss to do with them if you can.

Upvote 0

erinshaneb

My 2 cents...We are treating for my dad..well kinda..this will probably be his last trip due to health reasons and our kids first trips so he jumped at the chance to go..he couldn't afford to stay at AKL, but he wanted too so we told him we booked reservations for Coronado and we are paying the additional amount to upgrade him to AKL..he has no idea and I can't wait to see his face when we pull up..sometimes it is soooo worth it give back a little when they have given so much..Of course I can't use him to babysit..love him, but uhm no...lol (64 year old man with a 4 year old and a 9 month old..nahhhh i will skip the night life..ha haha)

Upvote 0
If they're not big theme park people, you might want to offer to pay for their park tickets. This way, you've taken care of room and tickets, and you can trade off on dinners - if your parents are anything like mine, they certainly won't expect a free ride and will offer to treat for dinners, etc. And since they're not huge theme park people, perhaps if you're getting 6 day passes, get them 4 day ones - just so they don't go to waste.

I would, however, present the idea to them just how you see it. Tell them you're inviting them down and will take care of room and tickets if they would agree to watch the baby several nights so the two of you can spend some couple's time together. That way, they know the expectations before agreeing to the trip.

What a nice idea and how great you have the funds to be able to do this! :)

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Looking for some advice - we just got home and have already planned our next two trips! My wife and I are going in January for a long weekend without the baby and are going to take her in December 2011 for her 2nd birthday.

We are thinking of inviting my parents to join us next December. They've never been to Disney and we'd love to show them around for their first trip PLUS let them be there to see our daughter experience it for the first time (well, she just got back, but at only 7 months, we'll say this next trip will be the "official" first trip!). We'd also like to have them there to help us out with her and give us some time to ourselves. They're not big theme park people - have a cabin in Northern MI and that is where they vacation - so we know they won't mind taking her back in the afternoon for a nap/swim.

Here's the question - should we "treat" for all/part of the trip since it's not their "thing" and we'll be asking them to help out while we're there? We're DVC members, so accommodations will be covered under our points, but we're wondering if we should pay for their park passes, etc. as a "thank you". Trying to figure it out before we ask them but wanted some input.

Thanks!!

I would; they may not accept, but it would be greatly appreciated. I would say something along the lines of "we are taking ____ to WDW in December to celebrate her birthday and we would love to have you join us, our treat of course. " If they accept you could tell them you don't expect them to spend all of their time with you and that's ok. You could offer to arrange a special quiet meal for them and ask if they would mind babysitting one night so you two could enjoy a special meal together as well.

We invited family down on a trip (the kids had never been before) and paid for the trip (airfare, hotel and park tickets), they were very grateful and bought a big dinner one night as well as snacks for the kids and special gifts (nothing big) for us as well during the trip...just small gestures to say thank you along the way. I have to say it was one of the best trips I've ever taken.:cool:

Just wanted to add...if they do go with you (whether you pay for them or share the expense) take a lot of photos and then have double prints made. Make a special album just for them (it would make a nice Christmas gift) and try to get a group photo and give them a framed one as well. MY SIL and I each did this (without knowing the other was doing the same thing) and they are treasured to this day! We still laugh and smile when we look through those photos.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Given that you're going to be asking them to "help out" with your daughter while you're there, I would say that you should absolutely treat them.

Upvote 0

Tomi-Rocket

absolutely....

If finances aren't a problem, and I'm guessing that since you're DVC members it's not, then absolutely! They may decline it but I think it's a great idea especially since I see so many, many people take advantage of their in-laws and parents and not fully appreciating the help they're getting. What a wonderful gift for them! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

This may be cheesy, but since you're going in December, could you make make an expenses-paid vacation their Chrismukkah present?

Bear in mind, you can always buy your parents their theme park tickets in advance, so it doesn't seem like so much of a hit (and you lock in prices before they go up). Just keep them someplace safe whenever you do buy them. This way, about the only expense left would be food. And if you're staying in a DVC villa, you could always consider prepping some meals in your "home." A couple of breakfasts, a couple of lunches and some snacks in your room instead of eating out every meal could save 4 adults a couple hundred beans.

Upvote 0

Mr Toad

I would say yes. I treated my parents 2 years ago and they loved it. Next year we may be treating my wife's parents if they want to go.

Upvote 0

piglets mom

taking parents

My son and daugher-in-love- just offered to take us to WDW with them. My husband and I go every year and my son has not been since 1998 so to "payback" for all the the things we have done for his family we are getting a free trip and we get to see our twin grandbabies go for the first time. We had to cancel our trip last because the twins were due during the time of our trip. SO to make uo for helping them my son called and asked if we wanted to go we said yes and in 88 days we will be there. Most grandparents want special time with the grandbabies, so take them i bet they will enjoy themselves.

Upvote 0

DisneyFan1003

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for the advice! We FINALLY had an opportunity to sit down and talk to my parents about the trip and it looks like they'll be joining us! My mom is not too keen on flying AT ALL, so I think they'll be driving down and meeting us there. We're going to use our DVC points for a two-bedroom villa (either AKL or WL) and spring for their park passes/dining plans as a gift from us. Can't wait to show them around and for them to experience with our daughter!!

If anyone has any good "traveling with the grandparents" advice, I'd love to hear it!

Upvote 0

WDWmazprty

My parents came down with us 2 years ago and it was the first time with the grandkids. They had a blast! But mind you, my parents have been taking US to Disney since we were little; so they're use to it and know what its all about. My dad could take it or leave it, but he always went for us kids and doesn't hate Disney, just is not a Disney lover.

They of course paid for there own way as we made the plans together to go. I can tell you though, my dad never had such a good time at Disney than with his two grandaughters. He enjoyed being with the family, and of course being at Disney made it that more special.

Either way, if you pay for them or not, in the end your parents will have the time of their life. Not just because they're at Disney, but because of the time they have with you and especially with theire grandkids. You'll have fun! Enoy!:wave:

Upvote 0

ErickainPA

That's great they are going with you. I asked my mom back in Nov 2008 to go with us, since we were taking our then 2 yr old and twin 1 yr olds and could of course use the help. She paid for a portion of the trip though (flight and part of the room, we shared 1 room at Riverside), since we are not so financially set that we could pay for it all, but we did get dining plan so that helped with the meals. She had a good time and it was nice to be able to have the kids stay at the room with her when she had enough running around at the parks for the day.

Upvote 0

erinshaneb

If anyone has any good "traveling with the grandparents" advice, I'd love to hear it!

We just returned two weeks from our vacation with my dad and I thought you might want some advice..I am sure our situation is alot different than yours, but this is what we noticed..

Dining reservations are NOT a good idea...we had a hard time making them most of the time and ended up missing two..I am not sure how healthy your parents are, but my father is not..we didn't realize how hard it was for him to walk til we go there..so if they have even a small problem walking, rent a scooter..it will be so much easier..I apologize, but I don't remember if you have kids..my daughter "knew" my dad and knew who he was, but they didn't have the relationship they have now til after the trip..We stayed in a two bedroom suite at AKL (I would recommend that) and every morning she would run to Grampa's door and bang on it and wake him up...it was soo precious..We HAD to let him watch them while we were on rides..I was a little apprehensive at first (the last kids he took care of was me :p), but I made the kids stay with him and everyone got along so much better..my daughter would "test" grampa and he wouldn't put up with it and even disciplined her once..it proved to her that Grampa is part of the family (if that makes sense)..the final night we were in Mouse Gears and it was CRAZY bcuz of the construction..my father took both kids to wait outside..I catch up with them and they were in the middle of full blown meltdown..my daughter had a I'm a tired, 4 year old on overload meltdown which woke my son up..well he started crying bcuz his sister was crying and it just went downhill from there..lol..anyway my dad was thrilled they we trusted him enough to deal with it..ha..go ahead anytime...ha ha ha..anyways, what we really noticed traveling with grandparents is you are gonna miss some things (we missed a ton), but the memories my kids have are sooo much more important than the fact we left so many things to do later..(oh and schedules are soooo hard to keep)..GOOD LUCK and I know you will have fun !!!!

Upvote 0

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I come from a Disney fanatic family, and we did our daughter's first Disney trip with 2 sets of Grandparents. Now, my parents go pretty much every year to either WDW or DL, so I can't help on the first-time aspect, but my tips from that experience:
-- If there are things that you want to "experience" with your kid to make a memory (walk through the castle the first time), talk it out first to ensure there are no feelings hurt. We had a great time with all involved, but my wife had a few times where she felt like she was fighting to spend time with our DD. None of it was done in a hurtful fashion of course, but if there are things you want special for yourself, it would never hurt to lay it out ahead of time.
-- Pre-buy the photoCD to save some money, and purchase a photo-album to create for them. It makes a nice gift. The photo-cd can then be shared among the family members then so that everyone can have all your Photopass pictures
-- As a previous poster has mentioned, a lot depends on everyone's health. My folks are in good health, so we made all our ADRs and we probably needed more rest than they did.
-- Maybe make them an ADR for just themselves at a restaurant they would enjoy. If they are going to help babysit for a nice meal for you, at least offer the same to them. My folks did not take us up on it, but maybe yours would!

Upvote 0

Mouse Man

Let me reply as a Grande Parent. We watch our grande son a lot for overnight trips for the Kids to get out for either work event issues or B-Day parties, aniverseries, and lastly just a get away alone time. We love him to pieces and he loves coming over to stay and or see grandema & pap-pap. The differance hear our daughter knows when it comes to visiting a new place for the first time that love to be out and about and see what it's all about and has to offer. We are younger Grandparents that act like little kids and go out and love to play at new places. Having to Baby sit in a new place would really put a damper on us. What I am trying to say here is you really have to know your parents and how they would act. You see we would baby sit one night for the Kids to have an alone time at WDW for dinner with no problem. If it were more than that it would be a little bit much since we would love to be out and about. If your parents are the opposites that like to go somewhere see a little then hang out then your in great shape. Just keep in mind that we grande parents spoil the grande kids and love them to pieces and do a lot with them. Just make sure you don't take advantage of us and allow us our freedom in a new place as well. Like I said, make sure you know how your parents will act to seeing new places and make sure you are up front with them in helping out with the baby. Far as the offer to pay my way, I would decline to accept a trip from them. Now this is the dad coming out in me. I would go only if I can pay my way. If they want to do something to say thank you, buy me a great dinner and an unexpected gift. That would go along way in my books.

Upvote 0

erinshaneb

Far as the offer to pay my way, I would decline to accept a trip from them. Now this is the dad coming out in me. I would go only if I can pay my way. If they want to do something to say thank you, buy me a great dinner and an unexpected gift. That would go along way in my books.

This is the same as my father..which is why we told him we were staying at Coronado and he "paid" me for that and I upgraded to AKL..We just wanted to thank him for being him...Sometimes you have to be sneaky with you grandparents/parents..lol :ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom