Inviting parents...should we treat?

DisneyFan1003

Looking for some advice - we just got home and have already planned our next two trips! My wife and I are going in January for a long weekend without the baby and are going to take her in December 2011 for her 2nd birthday.

We are thinking of inviting my parents to join us next December. They've never been to Disney and we'd love to show them around for their first trip PLUS let them be there to see our daughter experience it for the first time (well, she just got back, but at only 7 months, we'll say this next trip will be the "official" first trip!). We'd also like to have them there to help us out with her and give us some time to ourselves. They're not big theme park people - have a cabin in Northern MI and that is where they vacation - so we know they won't mind taking her back in the afternoon for a nap/swim.

Here's the question - should we "treat" for all/part of the trip since it's not their "thing" and we'll be asking them to help out while we're there? We're DVC members, so accommodations will be covered under our points, but we're wondering if we should pay for their park passes, etc. as a "thank you". Trying to figure it out before we ask them but wanted some input.

Thanks!!

Raven66

This is the same as my father..which is why we told him we were staying at Coronado and he "paid" me for that and I upgraded to AKL..We just wanted to thank him for being him...Sometimes you have to be sneaky with you grandparents/parents..lol :ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

I remember reading earlier in the thread you were going to surprise him with the upgrade. How did it go over? Was he surprised?

Upvote 0

erinshaneb

It went great..we got all the way to the Magic Express bus line, the sign for the bus said Coronado and AKL so we thought "yes, he still won't get it"..the lady taking the tickets asked my hubby for them and asked what hotel, he whispered AKL and before he could explain she said real loud AKL line B..My dad said, uhm no..and it was out of the bag..he was kinda shocked and said thank you..when we got the hotel he was really surprised and happy...And then to top it off since they messed up our rooms pretty bad we got to share a two bedroom suite with him so he got to have my daughter wake him every morning to look at the animals..he said it was the best and really, really was happy..Couldn't ask for a better vacation...

Oh and we didn't actually spend any "extra" money on it..We had a whole bunch of points from our Visa card that we traded in for cash to pay for it..We figured that was better than a stupid gift card for Amazon or something...:lol:

Upvote 0

DisneyFan1003

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for the input! A few points of clarification just so you know where we're coming from!

• Walking definitely won't be an issue for them...in fact, we often have to try to keep up with them!
  • We are going to suggest they have a "night out" just the two of them - although, knowing my mom and dad, they'd rather just have us lead the way and tag along to help with our daughter.
  • Opinions seem to be split about the fact that we're paying. Both sides make valid points, and not that it matters, but here's a little more on our reasoning why we want to treat. First off, my wife and I are very fortunate to be a pretty comfortable financial place, so we're excited to be able to do this for mom and dad as a "thank you" for all they do. Second, since they've never been to WDW and aren't huge theme park people, we know they're really coming along to spend time with us and their granddaughter. We had a hard time asking them to join us and saying "by the way, it'll cost you about $600 to get through the gates to watch us play!" Third, I have two younger brothers, both of whom are married with kids. Mom and dad are HUGE on everything being even and fair with us and, especially, our kids. Asking them to come along, and pay their way, would put them in a very awkward position (especially with my sisters-in-law) because they would be vacationing with us and not them. By us treating for this trip, it keeps them on neutral ground.
Thanks again for all the input - I'd definitely like to hear more about suggestions on things to do, etc. with grandparents on their first trip to the world!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom